Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how to improve horsepower?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default how to improve horsepower?

Hi all,
    I have just purchased my first car, it is a beatiful 1988 Toyota Celica ST 165.
    I am a bit new to working on my own car but i am looking for mods to improve it's horse power. I am only on my L's with my P's yet to come so surper or turbo charging are out of the question. Any and all ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Puffy's Avatar

Default Re: how to improve horsepower?

Copy below..... your car is a ST162, not ST165.

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...hlight=andrews
    Carlos Sainz has a Darkside and its in the form of # 13
    Click for pics http://toymods.net/forums/showthread...365#post539365

C2H5OH Powered Automotive Encyclopaedia George's Avatar

Think it's quite useful to get a reliable driving style so that you know you are faster than most of drivers around instead of trying to prove it.

As for the hardware it's better to get used to the car first. You may soon discover what you don't like about the engine (rough idle, lack of power in some modes, smoke at high revs etc). Because first thing in obtaining high power is to have engine in ideal condition prior to any improvements.
    USSR GAZ24 with 1UZ-FE VVTi (UCV24) http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=60301
    Engine conversion is when you drive a shitbox which costs a whole LEXUS to own

Least it doesnt snore Backyard Mechanic Gary's Avatar

search for direct exhaust injection, this has been discussed before
    JZX83
    UCF11

Junior Member Carport Converter Billzilla's Avatar

Put a lightweight alloy flywheel on it.
    www.billzilla.org
    Toymods founding member #3

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

never seen anyone get any noticeable gains for the cost outlay on an st162 engine. they only have 9.1CR. cheap thing to do is fit the stock extractors of a gen2 3sge and a hiflow panel replacement filter.

a lightened flywheel is an excellent idea if you can afford it and if anyone makes them for the gen1 engine. i believe fidanza make them for the 5sfe so they should fit straight on to the gen1 crank tho it maybe offset different and not line up with the stater properly.....??????

or just find a low k gen2 3sge and drop that in. has an extra 30hp than the gen1

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spectre1993 View Post
    Hi all,
    I have just purchased my first car, it is a beatiful 1988 Toyota Celica ST 165.
    I am a bit new to working on my own car but i am looking for mods to improve it's horse power. I am only on my L's with my P's yet to come so surper or turbo charging are out of the question. Any and all ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance.
    how about... learn to drive first and respect the restrictions that are in place?

yeah, a lightened flyheel would be a great idea for someone on their L's
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

My mistake, it is a 162.
    Thankyou for all your suggestions. I don't intend to disrespect any rules and I understand that I am still learning but I like the idea of working on and improving my own car.

As for the engine being in ideal condition i know it is still far from but I have already started cleaning every in of the engine both internal and external and I am currently replacing some seals, hoses and the timing belt.
    Is it a good idea to put oversized valve in to accompany an extractor?
    Has anybody got any knowledge on these performance ECU chips that are avaliable for between 50-80$? I am a lil' skeptical as to how well they would work.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia eeeyan's Avatar

Dude by far the best mod you can get is a Powerchip i'm sure that Gary will back me up on this.

Also exactly what valve are you referring to? your car has 16 of them as far as i can recall And they wont be effected by an exhaust of any kind
    Wish I had a F#%ken awesome toyota.. saving for the goodness now.... stay tuned....

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

Mate you seem to have a legitimate interest in motoring, I'd just say use your L's and P's period to learn about how to keep your car in a decent state of running, the seals, hoses and timing belt work you're doing is a good start in getting to know your car under the bonnet,

just keep her running and change the small things that piss you off over time, once you're off your P's take what knowledge you've ammassed and buy a better car to begin with.

(just my opinion)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

Have to back Tom up on this one the 162 is a great reliable car if maintained has a bit of poke and wont keep your bored for your P's if i was gonna make it more interesting to drive some improved suspension would be about all you would need once you've learned the limits of what its already got.

An exhaust is gonna be a noise maker and thats about it any power gains would be marginal at best.
    Same goes for an intake.

Sure these look and sound nice but IMO would be dollars better spent eslewhere or saved for something with a bit more sporting credential than a 162 when you finish on your P's.
    Wish I had a F#%ken awesome toyota.. saving for the goodness now.... stay tuned....

oversized valves are a great idea, they'll help out with your average DEI setup and you can pretty much swap them in with a basic screwdriver set. dont get extractors though, keep it stock till you can afford a decent DEI manifold

powerchip, dammit i always forget the powerchip... they'll get the most out of whatever you do to an engine
    JZX83
    UCF11

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

powerchip - questionable benefits, even more questionable sexuality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

LOL. Make sure you use a left handed screwdriver set though. A right handed one wont work with DEI remember Gary?

you might even get a bonus extra gearbox with the powerchip, usually empty ones which is good to reduce drivetrain inertia, which means more powaaaa undetectable from police too which is good for on P's

the best thing to do about the whole left/right screwdriver thing is to get a reversible one. fool proof, i personally use a 1/4 ratchet with screwdriver bit attachments so i dont get confused, but the reversible ones are a much better idea

what colour is your car?
    JZX83
    UCF11