Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: how to build 1.5jz on budget

binge toymoder Grease Monkey

Default Re: how to build 1.5jz on budget

Quote Originally Posted by Wildsupra View Post
    yeah will do

Pandaah, personal choice i guess. However if you have a very careful look at the water galleries between the 2 different heads and the 2 different gaskets then you will see the 2j gasket on the 1j head just doesnt seem right.
    Its up to you which way to go, as i said ealrier, no 1 way appears to be "correct" but more trial and error. Im just suggesting to study them carefully before making a decision.
    Reviving this thread, I have just finnished my build. Its a ge bottom end and im I'm fairly sure I chose a 2mm 2jz gasket as I thought once my head was welded and drilled, the oil would seal properly! I have been to a track day on the weekend and the car(making 294.6rwkw on 16psi) was overheating badly after 3 laps or so at winton, if i get off the throttle and let it cool for a lap it's fine for another two, it's got a large alloy radiator, ducting for airflow, new water pump, high flow 76deg thermostat etc, I am unfortunately very suspicious of the head gaskets flow design being the culprit. Can anyone confirm this for me? Other than this I am so wrapped with the performance of this motor, torque off boost, early spool and rediculous midrange!!
    ke70 20v drifta 18psi = 230rwkw
    jzx83 cressida, 14psi = TBA

dont work in my backyard Domestic Engineer pandaah's Avatar

How clean is the radiator, i used a 2j gasket with mine and it doesn't over heat

Quote Originally Posted by pandaah View Post
    How clean is the radiator, i used a 2j gasket with mine and it doesn't over heat
    The radiator was brand new. That doesn't always mean it was clean I kno... My rad guy can't test alloy rads but ran the hose through and it flows as I would expect and no junk came out. I'm starting to suspect my poor choice to reuse head bolts, inferior gasket quality and possibly a torque issue are to blame 😔 head may be lifting under boost

jetpilot Automotive Encyclopaedia 1JZ.747's Avatar

if you use a 2jzgte head gasket and you had the head mod done it wont be that, it also shouldnt be lifting the head at 16 psi, hell ive been 37psi on a stock 1j head gasket and head studs with a 150 shot of gas on top and never lifted the head.
    8.3 et PB 169 MPH PB

Quote Originally Posted by 1JZ.747 View Post
    if you use a 2jzgte head gasket and you had the head mod done it wont be that, it also shouldnt be lifting the head at 16 psi, hell ive been 37psi on a stock 1j head gasket and head studs with a 150 shot of gas on top and never lifted the head.
    I'm goin to try re torquing the head as I'm not confident it was done correctly in the first place, and if still no dice, arp stud kit and new gasket time!

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Have you checked your radiator cap, a 'soft' cap can cause the temp's to rise quickly.
    Also, have you bled the system well? No air-locks etc...

Quote Originally Posted by e30-323ti View Post
    Have you checked your radiator cap, a 'soft' cap can cause the temp's to rise quickly.
    Also, have you bled the system well? No air-locks etc...
    There is no way to bleed the standard system however I have drilled a bleed hole in the top outlet but no air comes out so I can't see air being my issue, cap tests fine

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

The standard system gets bled like every other one. You need to make a higher point for the water is bottle upside down through an old radiator cap. Fill it up and gravity will bleed the system.