Thread: Tick from motor at certain rpm

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Tick from motor at certain rpm

Hey all,
    After an embarassing story, my oil filter ended up dropping all my oil, i stopped shortly after but the engine has generated a slight tick at only 1 certain rpm, at 1600rpm, this happens off load too. I wouldn't say its a rattle, but could a cam journal be damaged as a result?

I only had spare oil at the moment so i am using 5-30 but the engine wasnt making this noise prior to dropping oil.

Is there any chance lifters could be making this noise? It doesn't happen if i try take off from even lower rpm and goes away shortly after.

I am doubting big end as wouldn't the motor usually rattle at all rpm? Not so much in one specific rpm.

Could the choice of temporary oil be a possible cause? This has been the only oil i have been able to try so far.
    ZZT-231 Toyota Celica SX

Jack of all trades Automotive Encyclopaedia mattysshop's Avatar

Default Re: Tick from motor at certain rpm

i vote big end..

similar thing happened to me when i was younger with a 4age... oil light came on only to realise that after about 4 weeks of 'spirited' driving (it was my first 4age, and i was 19...) it seemed to use almost a full sump of oil... i limped to a servo to buy some oil.. topped up.. went home..

the coming days saw a slight tick tick on idle... which would go away once any form of load would come on...

the cure for this... was a 4agze half cut... and a few brushes of limiter love and the ticking noise lead to dead big end being ejected through the block and sump..

dont work in my backyard Domestic Engineer pandaah's Avatar

chance to 15w, lifters will shut up

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

hmm i didnt run enough oil in one of my motors and noticed a little noise at a cirten rev but over a week it got worse and ended up being the bottom end...