Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TD04 turbos?

Junior Member Carport Converter RAd28's Avatar

Default TD04 turbos?

anyone know of literature on the TD04 turbos? i googled it, but the best i got is that they seem to be the usual for the scoobies... but that's about it... how do they compare to the CT12? reason i ask is i'm eyeing off a conversion kit for my 1G...

your thoughts people???
    '77 RA28LT #2 ← 2.2L 18RG...

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

Default Re: TD04 turbos?

Try trust td04
    or td04 flow maps
    or just seeing what sort of power different cars are making with these turbos and go off of that.

Taking a guess i would say that the td04 will out flow the ct12

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

The TD04 will definetly outflow a CT12. A pair of them on a 1G would be laggier than stock, but it should have a big top end.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Junior Member Conversion King Jorrs's Avatar

yeh they are of rexxys, good turbos they are, tarkers my mate on forums got one of a 99 rexxy and put it on his 4efte starlet, i might see if i can get sum info of him.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

One might be a little small for a 1G and probably good for around 220ish kw (at the flywheel), a pair and you should be right for more power than u need to lose your license.
    If there's one thing I know, it's never to mess with mother nature, mother in-laws and mother freaking Ukrainians

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Pube's Avatar

td04 turbos are so cheap too. You can get them on ebay or wreckers for under $200 in good condition
    SOLD : 1GGTE Rt142 Corona - Twin TD04-9b turbos - 180rwkw = 13.1 @105mph

Quote Originally Posted by RWDboy
    One might be a little small for a 1G and probably good for around 220ish kw (at the flywheel), a pair and you should be right for more power than u need to lose your license.
    If that was the case, they'd not really be much of an upgrade at all. If they're good for 160kW in a unstressed factory WRX, they have to be good for more than 220kW at the fly, perhaps at the wheels.

Junior Member Carport Converter RAd28's Avatar

that's upgrade enough for me... considering my current pair won't push more then 8psi... (blown seals ) 220kw at the wheels is nice enough... i'd be happy... do work to the head and that'd climb easily enough...

btw, the stock 1G is good enough to loose my license.. got 2 speeding fines in 1 week... managed to survive almost 4-5 years with out incident.. then blam stung twice... 118 both times (first guy let me off with 112)
    '77 RA28LT #2 ← 2.2L 18RG...

Haha, it's addictive and so smooth it makes it simple to shoot away. I would warn though, that 220rwkw is going to come at the expense of a fair bit of lag. Remember, they're only getting 1L of air each. It'll make 220rwkw, but what about the bottom end?

Quote Originally Posted by JustCallMeFrank
    If that was the case, they'd not really be much of an upgrade at all. If they're good for 160kW in a unstressed factory WRX, they have to be good for more than 220kW at the fly, perhaps at the wheels.
    I was talking about *one* TD04 with that figure, not two ... if that's where you are getting confuzzled.
    If there's one thing I know, it's never to mess with mother nature, mother in-laws and mother freaking Ukrainians

Ah okay, point taken. Probably wouldnt be worth the effort though, because the factory turbos would be able to make the same power as well.

yup A pair of TD04's would be good ... depends how much room you've got to fit things though !

Two turbos take up a lot of room and weight, although the exhaust manifold design is alot simpler than with a big single turbo.

But yer - back on topic ... I have no idea how a pair of TD04s would go on a 1G or where to find info on them I imagine they'd be a bit laggy to be honest, two TD04's would take quite alot of air to spool up, and the engine is *only* two litres.

Imagine a half a WRX motor trying to spool up, it'd be laggier than it already is !!! (not that the lag is really that bad).

I could look up some info on the TD04s used in WRX's ... i'm pretty sure they are plain bearing turbos ... whereas the TD04s you pull off yer average Mitsu (like a 4G63 maybe, or maybe the 4G93 or whatever from the VR4?) are usually ball-bearing cartridge.

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

As far as my local shop explained it to me, it's all about gasflow. He said that the standard WRX turbo would be really too small for a 4A-GZE, that it'd spool very hard, but run out of puff. Something about rexes having very poor gasflow, and GZEs having very good gasflow...

RM.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

MY97-MY00 WRXs got a Mitsubishi TD04 turbo while MY01-02 got a slightly larger Mitsubishi TD04L. You're not gonna be seeing 220rwkw from a TD04 (i doubt you'd even get 220kw at the flywheel with a TD04). Yes the MY97-00 WRXs manage 160kw in standard form but that's with the turbo set at 0.9 bar boost! (MY01-02 TD04Ls were pumping 0.95 bar standard). The turbo is too small to push much more than that efficiently so don't expect big improvements in power (ever wondered why WRX guys fit STi turbos?).
    CT12 turbos certainly won't be able to push 220kw and there's no point in wasting time with them.
    While fitting bigger twin turbos will work it won't be as successful as fitting one bigger turbo (think more like TD06-20G or something similar).
    A bigger single will produce more torque down low and give you more top end power with a much nicer power curve.
    Life in Japan:
    I see dumb people. Walking around like regular people. They don't see each other. They only see what they want to see. They don't know they're dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by riceboy
    CT12 turbos certainly won't be able to push 220kw and there's no point in wasting time with them.
    I beg to differ. The CT12's are definetly capable of that.