Thread: 4AGZE to 4AGE conversion

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 4AGZE to 4AGE conversion

Hey guys got a job 2moro, have to wire up a standard 4AGE into a AE92 that had a factory 4AGZE in it, and the customer is supplying a full engine and dash harness from a factory 4AGE 'rolla. I'm a 3rd year auto elec but never done anything like this on a corolla before, ill just join the floor harness that goes to the rear for lights, fuel sender/pump, wipers etc etc to the new dash harness but yeah is there anything i should look out for, and is it worth changing the whole engine/dash harness or should i just change the plugs where i have to and use the existing wiring, like change the computer/cluster/sender plugs and that?

cheers
    Ben

broken down ex guru Chief Engine Builder feral4mr2's Avatar

Default Re: 4AGZE to 4AGE conversion

swapping from 4age to 4agze or visa verca in a aw11 the only wiring that is changed is from the ecu to engine harness and it all plugs into the existing body harness.

i couldnt see any reason why you would need to swap out any of the body/dash wiring? the 4age engine harness should be rights plug straight into the existing body harness.

i'm sure anyone that's done it will chime in and correct me.

Learner Driver Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by feral4mr2 View Post
    swapping from 4age to 4agze or visa verca in a aw11 the only wiring that is changed is from the ecu to engine harness and it all plugs into the existing body harness.

i couldnt see any reason why you would need to swap out any of the body/dash wiring? the 4age engine harness should be rights plug straight into the existing body harness.

i'm sure anyone that's done it will chime in and correct me.
    Engine harness and body Harness?

In an AW11 they are separate, but in a FWD AE92 there is only one loom for it all
    The engine bay loom has most of the engine wiring in it,
    but also has all the wiring for power suplly for most of the rest of the car, heater, dash, lights, wipers, elec windows the lot.
    If you have the dash and underbonnet looms you can swap them both over, but there will still be a few differences that you will need to figure out in place in the car probably,
    rather than on the bench/floor, and you wont find the differences until you fit the looms.
    - KE70 Corolla Dx -
    - 500hp+ 7AGTE 20V turbo -
    - MRS/Hayabusa turbo **sold**
    - TA63 3TGTE project in the build -

Administrator Backyard Mechanic

In the AE92 there is a separate loom for the engine (efi n stuff) and 1 loom for the headlights / fuse box etc and a third loom for dash and the 4th for the rear of the car.

1 plug off the ecu for the 4age is attached to the dash loom and the other 2 to the engine loom. To swap the dash loom out you'll have to remove the entire dash and put it back in.

I'd put money on it the customer wants the engine + dash loom to use on anther car later on.