Thread: JZX Differentials... WTF! - Help needed please!

Grumpy old prick Automotive Encyclopaedia Looonie's Avatar

Default JZX Differentials... WTF! - Help needed please!

Ok, I'm seriously confused now.

I have a 1992 JZX91 - 2JZ-GE, Auto, A01A axle code.

I purchased a JZX90 Torsen LSD diff head from japan, just the head, no stub axles or housing.

Intending to get the stub axles machined so I could assemble the diff without having my car off the road, I pulled a complete diff out of a JZX100 Cresta - 1JZ-GE, Auto, A04A axle code.

So right now, I have the stub axle out of the A04A axle (from the JZX100) and it will not, ever, work with the JZX90 torsen diff head I have. The diameter on the stub axle spline is smaller than that of the diff head.

What confuses me even more, is that I have an Altezza torsen lying around (A01B) and the spline for that is perfect, the mounts on the diff housing seem perfect match for the A01A I pulled out of the JZX100 Cresta.

Whats running through my mind right now, is maybe the non turbo cars have an actual F series diff head in them? (7.5" compared to the 8" G series the turbo JZX series has?)

Can somebody perhaps who has pulled more of these apart please shed some light on this... its doing my freakin head in!

I've read some threads about the diff , but that hasn't helped me... I can only assume the non turbo cars are an anomaly all to their own? Has anybody actually played around with diffs from non-turbo one?

Cheers

*starts wrapping duct-tape around his head to stop it exploding*
    Moo
    Apparently I was advertising in my signature, where I just thought I was helping out others... so if you want to know how to get more steering lock in your A70/Z20 Supra/Soarer, you'll just have to search, don't ask me, apparently I'm not allowed to tell you.

RZN169R+2JZGTEVVTI+R151 Domestic Engineer madmont's Avatar

Default Re: JZX Differentials... WTF! - Help needed please!

These days even Land Cruisers and Hiluxes have A series diffs even though they are different sizes. Pay no attention to the A . Measure the diameters of the crownwheels and count the splines on the axles if you want to know what size diff you have. Altezza A series have F series size centres . Have a look at the Toyota EPC and try to use that as a guide to what is interchangable.
    Jealousy is a curse

your mums an Carport Converter pato's Avatar

just about to go and have a look at the epc myself,
    but.

i have an auto jzx100 and was wondering wether a jza70 center will fit into the 100's housing.
    cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by RAd28
    I certainly don't need to stick my hand in a blender to know it'll cut my fingers off, and i don't need to weave in and out of traffic at 120 to know it's fucking stupid.

Hardly a Domestic Engineer Sciflyer's Avatar

Welcome to 1990s Toyota axle codes!

Rule #1 - Never assume two diffs with the same axle code are actually the same or even compatible...

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

www.jzx100.com

has some good tech info somewhere in there about fitting lsd's couldnt find the link but yeah i hope that helps you somewhat

Drop and Fit Grease Monkey mumblezzz's Avatar

JZA70 will fit JZX100 but check the side shafts are correct. They are different between open and torsen.
    053Style

thanks mumblezzz, thats what i assumed,
    wasnt too sure how to check the side shafts,
    problem is, i was thinking of putting the clutch pack out of the ma70, not the torsen, so i didnt know how the side shafts lined up.

86 shitter
    that thread is pretty hopeless, they just go on about the build plate for 10 pages, and how to interpret whether your car has an open or torsen.
    i know my car has an open, and ive fitted multiple diffs to various cars.
    lists nothing about compatability across cars.
    jZx100world isnt good for technical information period.

sciflyer.
    i have noticed this... ive got a clutch pack centre, i might just have to bite the bullet just chuck it in, to see if it fits.
    I certainly don't need to stick my hand in a blender to know it'll cut my fingers off, and i don't need to weave in and out of traffic at 120 to know it's fucking stupid.

Grumpy old prick Automotive Encyclopaedia Looonie's Avatar

Well anycase anyone wants some concrete information.

Non turbo JZX90/100 chassis' run a 7.5" "F" series diff head/crown wheel but the housing mounting points to the subframe are identical between all the JZX90/100.

So if you have a non turbo rear end, you could:

a) install Altezza torsen LSD head using your open diff stub axles, or even swap in an entire Altezza diff unit including housing.
    b) install Tourer V complete diff unit including housing and get stronger 8" crown wheel internals.

I've thrown together the Altezza torsen with the A04A crown wheel and pinion in the A04A (JZX100 NA Auto) housing and stub axles and will put this into the car in about a weeks time so will see how that goes.
    Moo
    Apparently I was advertising in my signature, where I just thought I was helping out others... so if you want to know how to get more steering lock in your A70/Z20 Supra/Soarer, you'll just have to search, don't ask me, apparently I'm not allowed to tell you.

so does that also apply to the turbo auto jzx100 variants ?

The axles on the 7.5inch diffs are smaller than the axles on the 8inch diffs . And that includes the size of the cv joint end of the axle as well. I would not expect the 8inch and 7.5 inch diffs to be interchangable without changing driveshafts as well.
    Jealousy is a curse

soo... what size diff is in the jzx100 turbo auto open diff ?
    and what size is the jza70 clutch pack and torsen diffs. ?

Drop and Fit Grease Monkey mumblezzz's Avatar

Turbo auto jzx100 is the 8" or G series in the old money. They are interchangeable with JZA70.
    053Style

here is a picture of the plate off a JZX100 with 1JZGTE and a B series torsen diff Maybe the B series is 8inch and the A series is 7.5 inch
    Jealousy is a curse