Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinion Wanted - 1JZ GTE or Built and turbo'd Beams 3SGE

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Lightbulb Opinion Wanted - 1JZ GTE or Built and turbo'd Beams 3SGE

Ok guys Im Picking up a KE70 Panno, I want it unique, I want it Neat.
    But Im stuck On choice of engine. Ive narrowed it down to 2 possible cantidates.
    A 1JZ GTE or A Beams 3S GE

The aim of the Car is for a fun, but i want it to be decent on the track but its primary focus is going to be strip use. I want 10's or lower

The car has to be Automatic because its main focus is drag, and it will have the go gas(Nos) and a Locker.

Now to the nitty gritty, If i use a 1J, its easy to get power out of, but the downside is it will way down the front of the car, and there is extensive body modification to fit it, ive herd of people droping the cross members, but i dont want to do that, and i want to be able to get the trans out without pulling the engine, so i will also have to enlarge the tunnel aswel.

If i use the 3S its not hard to put in and theres little if any body mods, and its light, but the downside is its going to be alot harder for me to squeeze the power out, it would require a a forged bottom end, turbo, etc

Keep in mind, i want it to be street regiserable, and decent to drive on the street.

Will be great if i could get some feed back and peoples opinions

Cheers
    Dave
    Boost Me, Then Double Clutch Me, Till I Can Get My...Loss Of Traction

-------ALL.44U------- Domestic Engineer old_school_jap1's Avatar

Default Re: Opinion Wanted - 1JZ GTE or Built and turbo'd Beams 3SGE

Have a read here; http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=33676
    From the pics it doesn't look like anything too serious is required to fit the JZ. This post might not be what you want to hear though; http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...0&postcount=22
    RN16 Hilux; 18RG swap underway http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40561

Quote Originally Posted by ae71 View Post
    but im trying to use bolts with this car.

Phills panno lol i know about this one lol, it helped me nut out some of the planing

how much is Too Much Toyota JustenGT8's Avatar

The 1J combo is surprisingly good at the corners and will be a shitload cheaper to achieve 10's.

No question the 3S will be a better balanced package and even a turbo bolted onto an unopened engine will give you a stupidly quick panno.....10's will be tough though and i reckon would need some forged internals.
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

you see my problem, i hate fighting with my brain, already thought about 3s internals, toda make some nice decomp'd ceramic coated forgies and rods for that sort of boost abuse, what do those engines rev to reliably? Im curious to know what the highest power output ever recorded of one of these motors is?

Gearwhore. Backyard Mechanic

If you want to drive it on the street, put the 3S in it. 1J would be much better for the strip, but not so great in a street car (and I doubt it would be street legal anyway).
    The above opinion is just that - my opinion. It is not shared by any business that I am currently or have previously been involved with, nor any of their employee's.

its only just street legal, engine size is based on the weight of the heavyest variation of that particular vehicle which is the wagon version, which in stock form tips the scales at i think 1100kgs, this means because its over 1000kgs u can put a force inducted motor that is 2.75 x the body weight, 2750cc so it is only just street legal

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic bigmat's Avatar

if its to be registerd and legal expect to pay atleast 4 to 5k on engineering. 10s car legal on the road is near on impossible. but if thats not what matters go the 1j. it will be cheaper in the long run.

cheers mat

4-5k what engineer do u use the last one i got was for a mates drag car, fully caged, 600hp r31 skyline and that only cost us $1258 inc.gst, we even got it stamped and aprroved my the rta, and the last one i got for myself personally was for my turbo n13 exa, that was full house and i got the cert for $450 and it was certified and stamped by the rta also, there not that expensive, well mine wernt

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Flawless View Post
    its only just street legal, engine size is based on the weight of the heavyest variation of that particular vehicle which is the wagon version, which in stock form tips the scales at i think 1100kgs, this means because its over 1000kgs u can put a force inducted motor that is 2.75 x the body weight, 2750cc so it is only just street legal
    The NSW RTA regulations state "the original weight of the vehicle is the tare weight of the sedan version, fitted with the largest engine available for that model, but without optional accessories such as airconditioning, tow bar, etc"

I think you'll find the KE70 sedan is less than 1000kg.

Oh, and there is a 1JZ powered Rolla on these forums... from the ACT... so if you build this option then it's not "unique".

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Jack of all trades Automotive Encyclopaedia mattysshop's Avatar

what if you were putting an engine in a car that was only ever made with 2 doors? eg coupe/liftback/hatch??

sorry oftopic and irrelevant..

Toymods Club Member Conversion King big_zop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mattysshop View Post
    what if you were putting an engine in a car that was only ever made with 2 doors? eg coupe/liftback/hatch??

sorry oftopic and irrelevant..
    Not sure on the rulings there but since you want to put it into a KE70 Pano, it may be considered a utility (similar to a van, not like a wagon version of a car) and fall under a different set of rules - hence why Phils wagon is legal (i believe) but I know for certain that Kyles (6BOOST) wagon utilises this rule to be legal.

Jack of all trades Automotive Encyclopaedia mattysshop's Avatar

thats in qld isn't it? and as of july 1st the rulings are ment to be uniform across australia... but i havn't seen anything be put onto paper yet... this is to prevent the whole i bought a car in another state, drove it home only to find that i cannot register it here?

my mate is going through the same thing with his TG gemmini 1JZ conversion...

a tg gemini is no lighter or heavier than a RA23.. but people seem to have no worries getting them engineered, thats why he rang and eventually got through to a person who knows what they are on about and gave him the heads up..

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic bigmat's Avatar

obviously there was no braking test or emission testing, hence the cheap engineering. good luck.

cheers mat

Gearwhore. Backyard Mechanic

Speaking of the new rules, my understanding was that the displacement vs. weight 'rules' are now 'guidelines', and as long as you can prove to an engineer that you won't damage the chassis and the cars balance isn't too far off, they can make an exception if your planned displacement is too high.
    Good news for all the guys who are getting stuck with conversions.
    The above opinion is just that - my opinion. It is not shared by any business that I am currently or have previously been involved with, nor any of their employee's.