Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how to manual shift a340 for under $10

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default how to manual shift a340 for under $10

Thought id post up how to do a manual shift a340 for under $10, works everytime dont have to worry about a stupid $300 shift box not doing what its supposed to.

PLEASE NOTE this will only work on the early a340 with line pressure controlled by a cable, will not work on the late ones as they are controlled by tps for line pressure. doing it this way completely by passes original computer, my car has lt16 microtech and no factory computer to run auto. auto is completly controlled by shifter.

Default Re: how to manual shift a340 for under $10

Very interesting.
    Thanks Sleeper. + rep.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

. .
    Last edited by CrUZida; 11-12-2009 at 07:43 PM.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

User Conversion King

ingenious.

so simple to drive it through the switch. never thought of that
    hello

Quote Originally Posted by brett_celicacoupe View Post
    ingenious.

so simple to drive it through the switch. never thought of that
    yeh it is the easiest way, you do loose the dash indicators to say what gear your in but if you want to spend the time im sure you could wire them up as well.
    park neutral and reverse are also selected mechanically through the shifter if anyone was wondering why those wires wernt connected. park neutral reverse and overdrive will all work without any power to the gearbox straight off the shifter.

there are also 3 wires at the back of the gearbox for the solinoids one for each solinoid and one for lockup, my convertor doesnt have lock up anymore, you can narrow the wires down by jacking the back of the car up and whilst running connect each wire to power one by one. the wire for lockup when connected to power whilst running will cause the car to stall about 2-3 seconds after conecting it. connect the other two wires one by one pay attention to the speedo when one wire is connected and again when you attach the other wire. i think first gear was about 25kmh at 1500rpm and third gear was about 40-45kmh at the same revs.
    lock up can be connected to a seperate switch if you wanted to keep this function.
    Last edited by sleepercorty; 13-12-2009 at 11:19 AM.

Forum Member

Sorry for digging up old threads, but why won't this work on the later model boxes with TPS ? anyone know how to do it with a tps box ?

I have one from a hiace supercustom van (A3040LE), with a 1kzte diesel donk in front, Im not running the engine ecu which contains the trans control module.

Ive been looking at the 'supra sticks' but they do way more than I need and are not cheap.

any ideas ?

Quote Originally Posted by square View Post
    Sorry for digging up old threads, but why won't this work on the later model boxes with TPS ? anyone know how to do it with a tps box ?

I have one from a hiace supercustom van (A3040LE), with a 1kzte diesel donk in front, Im not running the engine ecu which contains the trans control module.

Ive been looking at the 'supra sticks' but they do way more than I need and are not cheap.

any ideas ?
    you might be able to do it this way but you would have to wire something up to control the line pressure if you are removing the standard computer. or maybe piggy back it some how and leave the standard computer and tps to control line pressure. there would be a way to do it but you just need to play around and see what works.

Junior Member Carport Converter Z2TT's Avatar

But if you still use the stock ECU it just controls line pressure as normal based on the TPS reading right?

So using a device to manually shift like the one in this thread won't have any affect on the line pressure?
    So it should work.

Quote Originally Posted by Z2TT View Post
    But if you still use the stock ECU it just controls line pressure as normal based on the TPS reading right?

So using a device to manually shift like the one in this thread won't have any affect on the line pressure?
    So it should work.
    you would assume so but you wont know till you try, the computer might sense that the soliniods are not connected and decide not to do anything else for the gearbox

Hardly a Domestic Engineer Sciflyer's Avatar

This works fine with the tps-controlled boxes, i had it on my V8 Soarer (A341), had no problems

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic rodi's Avatar

Many thanks for the info and your help on the phone, NOTE the colour coding is different for the boxes, i have 3 a hilux, a na soarer anr a turbo soarer, all different but its easy to sort out with a test light, the wire closest the bell housing is power in

Quote Originally Posted by rodi View Post
    Many thanks for the info and your help on the phone, NOTE the colour coding is different for the boxes, i have 3 a hilux, a na soarer anr a turbo soarer, all different but its easy to sort out with a test light, the wire closest the bell housing is power in
    no worries

Junior Member Carport Converter Z2TT's Avatar

Very nice, maybe somebody can post a guide on how to make a mod to use the Cruise control paddle as a shifter too

Front Yard and Backyard Mechanic white_sandshoe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Z2TT View Post
    Very nice, maybe somebody can post a guide on how to make a mod to use the Cruise control paddle as a shifter too
    Theoretically, that shouldn't be overly hard to do... If you've seen those fairy lights that have the little control module that change the flash pattern?

Using the cruise control paddle as the imput instead of the button, and making sure your module only uses as many settings as you have gears, and instead of sending signal through the different flasher circuits, re-wire it to send through to the different gears?

Obviously it's only theory, but there sure are modules out there which could be used.

ok, let the idea bashing begin.
    "Think of it like customer service, but the customer is *not* always right. And, you'd rather not have their repeat business." - Mullett

"well I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine is a good start for me..."

Hardly a Domestic Engineer Sciflyer's Avatar

If you wanted paddles the best way to go would be to get the late model JZA80 auto steering wheel which should bolt straight on - it has paddles (or rather, buttons) built in