Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1UZ minus AC and PS?

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Default 1UZ minus AC and PS?

Hi all, I'm in the process of putting a Crown 1UZ into a Hilux and have no need for air conditioning or power steering. I'd like to remove both pumps from the engine since they're just taking up room - has anyone done this before? I know deleting the AC is pretty common but I don't think I've seen anyone remove the PS as well.

Here's what the front of the engine looks like with the AC compressor already removed:

I've also removed the hydro fan pump, but the PS pump is still there (big pulley on the left). So what I want to do is run a small belt from the harmonic balancer to the alternator, but I need some way to tension the belt. The existing tensioner pulley can't be used because of the way it rotates, unless I replace the PS pump with some sort of idler pulley.

Yes I know I can loop a hose from the power steering outlet to the reservoir making it an over-complicated idler pulley but I'm hoping for a neater solution.

Ideas?

Hopefully soon a 5S-GTE Chief Engine Builder MWP's Avatar

Default Re: 1UZ minus AC and PS?

This is how i have done it....

I probably wont be running the cam belt covers since the tensioner assembly & fan pump (which i now wont be using) makes up part of the housing for that.
    Last edited by MWP; 25-11-2009 at 01:28 AM.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

i made a little idler bracket to replace the p/steer pump.I used a pulley (another one onf the very top pulley)with a bit of waterpipe with a nut welded into it on to a flat plate bolted to the engine.I also use a crown fan mount instead of the hyudrolic pump thingo.

I did look at running a belt a round alt/crank and tensioner only,but could find a 6pk grooved pulley that was 100mm that had the same offset to fit over the tensioner arrangement so gave up and went back to what i had.Some say though that the belt can slip abit setup that way.

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by matty12 View Post
    I did look at running a belt a round alt/crank and tensioner only,but could find a 6pk grooved pulley that was 100mm that had the same offset to fit over the tensioner arrangement so gave up and went back to what i had.Some say though that the belt can slip abit setup that way.
    Ed did this.
    From memory it was a 7M PS belt (4PK I think)
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Was he using the tensioner aswell or just a belt around the crank and alt??

I tried using the tensioner for easy of getting belt on/off.All the pulleys available had a centre offset where as the original flat pulley has heaps of room inside to clear everthing.

crank, alt, tensioner (obviously the belt was on backwards compared to what the tensioner was used to)
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

Any chance you can make the alternator hinged? So you can do away with the tensioner. Just swing the alt out with the belt on and clamp it in place.

Hen
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

Thats what MWP has done, although his picture isn't working
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS

how much is Too Much Toyota JustenGT8's Avatar

I seem to recall i had a grooved pulley made to replace the tensioner pulley which meant you can just run a simple short belt. I'll see if i can find and early pic pre power steering pump install.
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

Hopefully soon a 5S-GTE Chief Engine Builder MWP's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrUZida View Post
    Thats what MWP has done, although his picture isn't working
    Should be fixed

here's a reprint of what i wrote about doing mine....
    dodgy phone pics included

pics of the custom 'reverse tensioner' pulley system i rigged up to eliminate the ps pump, ideler, fan pulley, and ac compressor (eliminating around 2m of serpentine belt!)

complete luck finding an radom 5pk pulley in the dirt at the wreckers, that fit as a perfect tolerance fit direcly over the top of the existing 1uz idler/tensioner. i think its a 7mge water pump pulley.

anyway, i machined the face off the new 5pk pulley, basically making it a 5pk sleeve, slid it over the existing tensioner, got the belt alignment as close as i could approximate, then welded it all together. note that the existing 1uz pulleys are 6pk, and thus the new 875mm 5pk belt and custom 5pk tensioner pulley alignment were designed to align/run at the front of the 6pk groove set.

../delete/ban
    tech moderator
    E46 M3 Nürburgring Nordschleife - 8.38

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Yup, definately looks like a 7MGE water pump pulley there Ed
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

I'm not sure how many V are on on these, but the first model Subaru Liberty A/C idler tension pulley runs on a bearing on the inside of the belt, and is therefore already grooved.

I know it's not a 7PK though (maybe only 4 or 5) but would require a lot less effort to fit (just appropriate bearing & offset maybe)

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Thanks for the info everyone! I like what Ed has done, that's a neat solution. I'm off to the wreckers to find a 7M water pump pulley - and if it's the wrong size I'll come back here to complain.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

I hung my Alternator off the top mounting factory bracket as MWP has done & made a swing adjusting bracket for the bottom mount so again the same as MWP, no dramas some 4 years later ..

ED's way looks neat, but i'm just not sure if there is sufficient wrap around the alternator pulley to stop slippage under high alternator loads, if you look at the factory setup the belt wraps a lot more around the alternator pulley ..