Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Shrike the 4wd ae111 build log

Spirited Backyard Mechanic Casey-G's Avatar

Default Re: Shrike the 4wd ae111 build log

Fckn awesome.

enough said.

keep the updates coming man, this is epic.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

I'm So hungover today moan this is what happens when your mate owns a club and gives you free drinks I'll try do some work today lol

Han Lue aka Robin Hood Grease Monkey DreadAngel's Avatar

ROFL!

Good one mate XD

Don't drop the front shaft and make it RWD now will you =P
    Not here anymore!

I may have a weekend where I unbolt the front cvs

Spirited Backyard Mechanic Casey-G's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shrike View Post
    I may have a weekend where I unbolt the front cvs
    You will stuff your wheel bearings if you do that they require torque through the center of them to hold the bearing together properly.

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

Subscribed and requesting moar pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey-G View Post
    You will stuff your wheel bearings if you do that they require torque through the center of them to hold the bearing together properly.

I have a spare set of hubs that I don't care if they get rooted or not um didnt manage to get the sub frame or fuel tank in on saturday as my jacks where in use so will sort out this weekend hopefully.

still need to do a few minor things before I get the wheels on and have a rolling body that just needs an engine.

Ok minor update I took my g/b diff all 4 hubs and cvs up to kiwi race cars to do some work for me

New abs cvs
    mount abs sensors for hubs
    rebuild g/b
    rebuild diff
    get 315mm rotors and 4pot willwoods for all 4
    mount them up

Then I'll take the car up and sort out brake lines handbrake cable remount the diff and box get the mounts made solid.

Replace all the bushes and suspension arms replace the ball joints get the drive shaft in as well as sort out the fuel tanks surge tank pumps and lines.

Hoping to be rolling by xmas and maybe have the engine done by then to.

Been awhile so big update

Ok so thought I would rewrite the post that got deleted last night grrr

Engine wise im looking at building a stroked 7age (1900-1950cc)

Stroker kit will be supplied by spool (getting released around april) and then ill send some things upto MRP and get it all put together etc alone with one of his plenums (gen 2 as I dont like the gen 3) my 20v blacktop head (which im still deciding on if I want to send to kelford or not)

Plan is to have the engine done by july/aug (however last time I started a project was this car and It was meant to take 6 months )

As I want to run 500kw ive been looking at twincharging so sc14 or m62 blowing 1bar into a borg warner s300sx-66 with a .91 a/r and 30psi should do this nicely (500kw at the crank or the wheels I dont mind haha)

Ive spoken with a few turbo guys like steve murch and they seem to think I can get 30psi at 3000rpm with a t04z (.82 rear) sized turbo I am dubious but im going off any info I can get and will find out when it happens

the borg is meant to be better etc and plus its 1k shipped so may as well

fuel wise im going for a 10l surge tank to take up half my rear tyre well, then ill have a 700hp lifter from the custom fuel tank (-10an) and around a 1000hp feeder (-10an) to the front where it will be split into twin -8an and feed my fuel rail and then ill run a -8an return to the surge tank after the fpr (looking at id2000 injectors)

Head and block will be getting modifed to run 12mm studs to prevent head lift on high boost

Bottom end will be forged and have a 7a block with barrys standard high quility of work so oil squirters etc (will also look at stronger main caps and a crank girdle to strengthen the block (prevent cracking) )

If the block cracks I will replace it with a 3 1/4 grout filled one

Manifold will be a custom split pulse t4 unit made by either sinco or MRP

New update have just been chatting with Barry (Bazda) at MRP and have ordered a set of his MRP coilovers just waiting on an invoice atm and I will pay the deposit on 20th (delivery around March)

Specs are as follows

ae111 coilovers with st185 botton mounts
    sport valving (as race valving is to hard if I want to do targa)
    8kg/6kg springs ( for targa)
    and an extra set of 10kg front springs so I can run 10kg/8kg for track racing

all other specs are MRP standard

I may buy another set of track only coilovers with the race valving in future after I test out this set and see how it handles next thing to get off Barry will be a 315mm brake setup haha

So got an invoice from Barry for my new coilovers (will pay the deposit payday and then the other two payments before they arrive )

will get the set of 10kg front springs at a later date (as I wont be driving the car for awhile)

Been trying to track down some abs cvs so I can keep abs

Had my fabricator drop all my running gear minus the gearbox off at my dads (will take pics when I go over next) still not 100% sure if the hubs have been modded to have abs sensors added yet

Also been looking at cusco lsd front and rear diff options (can get then off yahoo japan brand new for 1.4k each and 200 for sea shipping so there on my wishlist at this stage as I want the car running before I upgrade things like this)

Sent a few emails out to get pricing for custom intercoolers and sizing reccomendations etc

still waiting for my money back from my fabricator I so I can buy more goodies

Had my other car break 3 studs and root the rim so now am replacing that and getting adaptors to run 4*100 instead of 4*114.3 at the back

will go to pickapart this weekend and grab a 5x100 space saver so I can move the car to my new garage after new years

Had a read though the members project section to find the st205 5x100-5x114.3 hub conversion and after looking into it have decided to just get custom spacers made to run 5x114.3 as I want a lower offset then the rims I want go to.

so 18mm thick front hub adaptors and 27mm thick at the rear (means the rims would be 6mm back from where the custom rims would sit)

Rims I want are 18*8.5 with a 27mm offset

means I can go to a bolt on brake upgrade via Barry and 315mm on all four with 4 pot wilwoods should be plenty of stopping power (if need be ill go to bigger front rotors later)

and the custom rims I want Im getting made anyway so can have 5x100 stud pattern anyway

also with the adaptors I can run any 5x114.3 rims as long as I dont go for a lower offset then 27mm at 8.5"

my last rims where 18*7.5 48mm

So havent done much apart from move the car to my new house (its still not in the garage) will be hopefully winching it in over the next month and starting to work on the rear end to get it all the way I want it and rolling properly

Just emailed spool about the stroker kits that ive been waiting on

http://www.spoolimports.com/spool-st...ool-7afe-7agze

just wanting price so I can budget when to get it

My coilovers should be here from barry anyday now and then just need to knock into the 5x100-5x114.3 conversion and sort some new rims

so email reply from spool is

Hi Alan

Cranks are 8 bolt flywheel – they wont be ready until end of April

I haven’t confirmed a price yet but around $1500 AUD for the cranks – rods are custom also and will confirm pricing on those soon

cheers

PLEASE NOTE: All prices are in AUD and do not include freight or insurance unless specified.

Brad Goucher

Ph. 0402351688

Brisbane Australia

ABN: 37118136806

www.spoolimports.com

1000AWHP SPOOL RB34 CLICK HERE

Coilovers arrive tomorrow (Mrp set up for street and targa might go to swift springs later will buy a set of FA 510s for the race track only after the car moves under its own power lol)

Still need to pay the last $100 for the UR fender and strut brace (opps sorry barry )

my skyline might be sold this month guys looking this weekend and assuming he gets the extra 1.5k he needs in the next two weeks itll be gone

I made a long list of things I need to do so hopefully finally drag it into my garage soon been eying up some nice rims for it so those and brakes etc will be what I buy next as well as a new press and a few other tools from the tool shed in petone (will be going shopping this weekend )

Didnt manage to go tool shopping this weekend but oh well im still after a bloody catalogue anyway haha

My coilovers arrived friday (no one was home so got redelivered monday )

havent had a chance to do much with them or take pics yet as Ive been replacing an alternator in my mates 4afe ae101 (what a mission got two alternators off a guy from tm that were wrong so going to swap it for another one tonight sigh)

to get the rear subframe ready to bolt in I need the following

New rear bearings (doesnt need them but thought I may as well)
    Drive flange redrilled to 5x114.3
    Abs rear cvs (may buy new complete shafts)
    Drill out abs sensor blanks on hubs or just buy abs model hubs :s
    St205 rear brake rotors
    St185 rear brake shoes
    Ae110 drum handbrake cable
    St185 notholene bushings
    (would like some adjustable rear arms but not a major atm)
    Lower the diff mount point 10mm to clear chassis
    Bolt everything together and chuck some rims and tires on then bolt into the car

So I brought the whole st205 celica gt4 rear end and front cvs over the weekend means I dont need to mod my rear hubs plus gives me more suspension arm options

So now I have 2x torsen lsds haha and im going to send away one of my diff mounts to be made solid

if i can sort one more space saver next pay ill try fitting the rear end and double check clearences for the diff to the rear chassis bar

Minor update

I picked up a space saver on saturday but due to the following I didnt move the car

1 My skyline shell still hasnt been collected
    2 Weather was sh*t
    3 Had 2 cars blocking the levin in other then the skyline
    4 Havent brought a winch/ropes yet (could have done on sat if things hadnt been fu*ked)
    5 Lost motivation as the garage was cold so I didnt even put my jack under the rear subframe and attach spacesavers ( still need to strip down the right hand side handbrake setup anyway)

Been talking with Barry about brake setups im waiting on a price of his new brand and then ill buy a rear end setup

Also need to mock up a surge tank for my fabricator to make Ill sort out my main fuel tank when the cars in the garage

Minor update

I picked up a space saver on saturday but due to the following I didnt move the car

2 Weather was sh*t
    4 Havent brought a winch/ropes yet (could have done on sat if things hadnt been fu*ked)
    5 Lost motivation as the garage was cold so I didnt even put my jack under the rear subframe and attach spacesavers ( still need to strip down the right hand side handbrake setup anyway)

Been talking with Barry about brake setups im waiting on a price of his new brand and then ill buy a rear end setup

Also need to mock up a surge tank for my fabricator to make Ill sort out my main fuel tank when the cars in the garage

Minor update

2 Weather was sh*t

pics of how the rear ends looking still need to unbolt the cvs so I can press out the rear hub centres and swap them to the ones im getting drilled to 5x114.3

still need to replace the front hub bearings and buy a set of rav4 front flanges but ill do that after the abs sensor hole has been drilled out as theres a blank there atm

PICTURES UPDATE LEVIN HAS DISH AND ROLLS

Factory gt4 rear hubs and arms (st205
    modified rear subframe
    custom MRP coilovers (thanks barry )

need to get camber bolts adjust camber on one side as the left hand side is perfect (shocks have slots

forward suspension arms need either to be forced back to bolt in properly or new holes made (may look at adjustable ones

will need to work out new offset etc

BUT ITS GETTING THERE

So no updates in ages, been posting a little in Toyspeed but meh

I am living in Melbourne (3years in July) and the car is in NZ still

I am going over on the 19th and it will be heading off for a full cage, new rear subframe, fuel tank and some other bits

Lastest post from toyspeed below

So this thread is useless without pics

Ordered some Febest gear for RND purposes

Front Rav4 hub 5x114.3
    Rear Toyota highlander hub and bearing (4wd) this will bolt straight onto the ST205 rear knuckle

Brought a Rav4 and an Ae111 front bearing to compare

Only difference is the outside diameter
    Rav4 is on the left and 74mm
    Ae111 is on the right and 72mm

The Rav4 bearing may fit the Ae111 knuckle (may bore the Ae111 knuckle out to use the larger bearing still thinking)

The Rav4 hub will work with both Bearings so happy days

Need to get these two fitted to my hubs in NZ and sent to Bazda for brake fitment, once fitment is confirmed I will order the other set (just realized I will need bearing seals) :S

To be fair the Febest hubs are pretty good quality will see how they handle some abuse, if they die I will go to Toyota oem items main reason for the cheaper gear was to work out what works before I spend the extra coin

Few other updates, I have a build thread on a couple of other sites so need to remember to update each one so have copied and pasted the below progress is slow but happening

Some more pics nothing super interesting but looks like the car is fairly stripped (just the rear glass and a rear 1/4 window to go)

Slowly building up the pile of parts haha

Just chilling in the shop

- - - Updated - - -

Wheels turned up the other day and Steve took some pics

Latest update, supporting local and brought a Seat, harness and brackets from Racetech which Steve is kindly picking up for me

http://racetech.co.nz/shop/seats/nat...-harness-combo

Finally ordered some new headlights with Hella inserts (can remove them for intake side if wanted ) really wanted a cf set but they no longer make them :s

pics of what they look like

coming from Latvia I think, I also shouldnt have the issue that most Ae111 headlights have with breaking tabs as they have been reinforced

Would prefer a set of facelift like the below

But finding an unbroken set is almost impossible and people want gold in exchange for them :s

Might try pick up a set when I'm in japland end of sep - mid oct

Got a message from Steve (Fabricator) today and progress will be happening in the next few weeks

Rear glass is finally out