Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: modiftying manifold for difference engine (eg. sr20 manif on 3sgte)

Incompetent Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default modiftying manifold for difference engine (eg. sr20 manif on 3sgte)

Due to the proliferation of manifolds for sikbro engines like the sr20, and the relative lack of aftermarket support for the gen 3/4 3sgte, is it plausible to modify an sr20 (or other commonly supported engine) manifold to fit a 3sgte (or other less common engine)?

I was thinking that if you used a manifold from a similar capacity 4cyl then the port spacings would likely be fairly close and you could just cut off the head flange and fit one for the appropriate engine.
    • if anyone has thoughts/comments on the above they would be appreciated
    • alternatively aftermarket manifolds for 3sgte?

i will pay good money for a quality manifold that bolts straight up, or if I can get something really cheap I can deal with ebay stuff too. I like the idea of a cast manifold and saw one on ebay for an earlier 3sgte, that would suit me but obviously doesn't fit the later gen motors.
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....

Default Re: modiftying manifold for difference engine (eg. sr20 manif on 3sgte)

Actually there's one on ebay at the minute which is OBX brand... I've only ever heard of the name on ebay so I assume they're made by Charlie Chan but it's nice to buy something that arrives at my doorstep and bolts straight on.
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....

Bull now in china shop! Domestic Engineer NME308's Avatar

I found SR20 exhaust shared same port spacing as 3TC so used a 12mm piece of plate steel, drill, die grinder, and thread tap to make an adapter to fit it up!

If there is one of the commonly supported engines with same port spacing for the manifold - intake or exhaust - as your 3S then it can be fitted with a little enthusiasm... Temper that with a careful check of any potential fouling on existing equipment in the engine bay...

Cheers,
    Jason
    3TC Compound Turbo 1976 TA23 - Members Ride Thread HERE
    479RWHP on 50psi and 70psi hasn't broken her at the track!

ok so i'm not the only one with this bright idea.... wondering if anyone has tried it with a 3sgte?

sorta interested in that OBX manifold on ebay as it's perfect but i don't know anything about the brand and it's fricken dear for an ebay manifold

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

which manifold are you referring to? intake or exhaust?

if your willing to pay good money can i suggest a 6boost one, he will make it to however you need it (can be custom jobs like mine was)
    ST205 Group A Rallye GT-Four 307kw atw @23 psi on 98oct, Now on E85.

1973 TA22

Jack of all trades Automotive Encyclopaedia mattysshop's Avatar

yep, Kyle (6boost) is an awsome fabricator..

alternativley.. Craig at Extreme Custom Engineering can do a similar job.. and he's local (brisbane) warranty against cracking etc etc.. can have it HPC'd.. Extreme Custom Engineering can also do pretty much anything else you can think of.. ally/stainless piping, dump pipe, exhaust.

3274 3700 - extreme custom engineering, beatty road archerfeild

road runner on here may be interested also, he's manis are also the goods.

1973 TA22

one of our mates 3sgte's

Last edited by mattysshop; 13-11-2009 at 08:30 AM.

To clarify, I was meaning a turbo manifold. As most of you would know there is little or no need to change intake plenums on most modern Toyota engines unless you are chasing comically large power figures.

I've seen Craig's work, it's very good. Only problem is that last time I spoke to him about something he mustn't have been interested in the job because he treated me like an idiot and overquoted by about 400%... so I'm not overly excited about going back. I'll have a think about it.

Ideally I'd like an off-the-shelf manifold, or one that someone can make me up with a jig, so that I don't have to transport my car (as it's in a million pieces, and also a two-way tow is a waste of $160).

As for 6boost manifolds, I don't mind paying good money but by all reports his manifolds are around, or over, a grand. I can't see the best 4cyl manifold in the world as being worth a cent more than $750... anything more than that is spending money for the sake of spending money. When you can get a probably dodgy, but at least workable, manfiold from ebay for various engines for $100... then you'll understand what I mean.

yeah mine was getting towards a grand, which is a lot less then you can pay (ie hks manifolds for gtfours are like 2k aus.

1973 TA22

yeah mine was getting towards a grand, which is a lot less then you can pay (ie hks manifolds for gtfours are like 2k aus
    To me, $2k is a joke and targeted at people with either no idea (eg. Americans!) or those with near unlimited bank accounts (drugs, those born rich, etc). If you pay $2k for a manifold you'll buy a $6k HKS turbo, $1800 worth of cams, a $10k stroker kit, etc... and could easily pay $100k just for your engine bay. It's like those people who pay a mechanic $150 for a 'service' that is 20 minutes labour, an $8 oil filter and $20 of oil.... simply because they don't know what their options are, or money simlpy doesn't matter to them.

I figure if I can buy something that is 90-95% as good but for 25% of the price (eg. $500 vs $2000) then you've made the right decision.

I'm not a jew, I'm just not a fucking idiot
    Last edited by Shifty; 13-11-2009 at 08:37 AM.

fair enough... let us know how you go with it

umop apisdn Chief Engine Builder twentyEight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
    As most of you would know there is little or no need to change intake plenums on most modern Toyota engines unless you are chasing comically large power figures.
    I take it from this comment that you're sticking with East-West (AWD/FWD) format, as obviously they're usless for RWD setups.

So, I take it you've seen the eBay turbo manis for the Gen III 3S-TGEs? Ask them for ST205 (which will fit ST215) - "Application: TOYOTA CELICA ST185, ST205"

They are prone to cracking, but getting someone to go over them with a TIG welder would certainly improve them. Design wise, they're fine, and are a shiteload better than the stock cast toyota mani.
    Last edited by twentyEight; 13-11-2009 at 09:47 AM.
    ([][][]II--LT--II[][][])

Green '77 RA28 Celica - VVTi V8 Goodness...

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia stidnam's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shifty

I figure if I can buy something that is 90-95% as good but for 25% of the price (eg. $500 vs $2000) then you've made the right decision.

I'm not a jew, I'm just not a fucking idiot
    I like the cut of your jib. Make sure you don't get the thin walled stainless manifolds though