Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: modiftying manifold for difference engine (eg. sr20 manif on 3sgte)

Incompetent Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: modiftying manifold for difference engine (eg. sr20 manif on 3sgte)

Quote Originally Posted by stidnam View Post
    I like the cut of your jib. Make sure you don't get the thin walled stainless manifolds though
    I'm Irish, not Jewish, and assure you my 'jib' is not cut
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....

Incompetent Automotive Encyclopaedia

Quote Originally Posted by twentyEight View Post
    I take it from this comment that you're sticking with East-West (AWD/FWD) format, as obviously they're usless for RWD setups.

So, I take it you've seen the eBay turbo manis for the Gen III 3S-TGEs? Ask them for ST205 (which will fit ST215) - "Application: TOYOTA CELICA ST185, ST205"

They are prone to cracking, but getting someone to go over them with a TIG welder would certainly improve them. Design wise, they're fine, and are a shiteload better than the stock cast toyota mani.
    Yeah the engine is remaining east-west, and being an ST215 engine the intake is a proper end-feed rather than the centre-feed on the early models. In my opinion it wouldn't hurt to increase the volume a little but I'm sure it will be plenty big enough for real world power figures.

I've seen those ones and am not convinced they'll suit an ST205, like most ebay crap they probably don't even know what a 3SGTE is! There are however other ones on ebay that look ok:

Item #170403813383

They are apparently 1.6mm thick 1.75" stainless runners and ½" flange plates. Is 1.6mm considered 'thin' stainless or is that likely to be ok?
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Have you asked JZK25 for a price on one of his manis?
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

umop apisdn Chief Engine Builder twentyEight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
    There are however other ones on ebay that look ok:

Item #170403813383

They are apparently 1.6mm thick 1.75" stainless runners and ½" flange plates. Is 1.6mm considered 'thin' stainless or is that likely to be ok?
    This is exactly the same as one that I bought for mine to cut up for the flange plate and first 2 inches of runners... (It didn't have the OBX tag though, if it had I would have told you about them as I wasn't sure that it was an eBay common one...)

The runners are very thin, and the merge collector is average, but it's your best option I'd say.

And they bolt perfectly to the Gen III head (so your's also).
    ([][][]II--LT--II[][][])

Green '77 RA28 Celica - VVTi V8 Goodness...

Cunning Linguist Domestic Engineer The Last Streetfighter's Avatar

AE90 Silvertop - GONE; 2001 ST215W GT-T Manual - SOLD; EP82 Starlet GT - Sold
    Now driving 20V Turbo 1.8 N-S FWD

umop apisdn Chief Engine Builder twentyEight's Avatar

I would definitely go for that one...

Still not good for RWD, but it's perfect for what Shifty's after...
    ([][][]II--LT--II[][][])

Green '77 RA28 Celica - VVTi V8 Goodness...

Cunning Linguist Domestic Engineer The Last Streetfighter's Avatar

That dump pipe deletes the cat in the standard setup, but that should not bother Shifty any. Especially at that price.

Driven also do a mani that suits the stock ST205 twin entry turbs.

Lol, who gives a stuff about RWD.
    AE90 Silvertop - GONE; 2001 ST215W GT-T Manual - SOLD; EP82 Starlet GT - Sold
    Now driving 20V Turbo 1.8 N-S FWD

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

Correct me if I wrong but the driven performance one is designed in NZ and then they get X units mass produced in China. Would like to see results & reliability of someone that has used one. That & GT3071r would be a nice upgrade for the dina .
    If in doubt power out