Thread: TE71 IRS Setup?

Forum Member

Default TE71 IRS Setup?

Ive been searching for info on this for quite a while, havent been able to find out yet. I know its pretty silly, just wanting to know if its been done before and how hard it would be? Im trying to built a track setup for my TE71, and an F series IRS setup looks very attractive to me. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated though. Any LSD IRS setups I could look at? My corolla is a 1983 TE71 4 Door sedan with a 3TGTE running through the standard T50 and diff setup (And yes, it has shredded them both )

Junior Member Domestic Engineer MRMOPARMAN's Avatar

Default Re: TE71 IRS Setup?

what sort of class regs do you have to comply with? the class rules may exclude irs conversions?

the xe7x cars dont have a bad rear end, by the time you cut up the arse of the car, mod an F series to fit, jig it up and shit.. i think you would have been better off developing a live axle setup.

something like a bog warmer, T series, F series, G series etc.. modded to fit, then have a play with roll centres, pinion angles, control arm lengths etc.. its all been done before by the sprinter boys.. so find something that works and copy it!
    Quote Originally Posted by cuzzo
    well have to see what gen is better the ke30 or the ke(yuk)25
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananaman
    Thats like comparing a house brick and a stiletto

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

If you seriously want to go through all the hassle and expense of an IRS conversion, an F series setup is pretty close to the worst IRS you can find. At the very least find a double wishbone setup, say from an S13 or MX5.

I tend to agree with the above though, a well thought out live axle setup will perform very well and has the advantage of being lighter and more robust than IRS.

Forum Member

I would only looking to race at open track days etc, nothing big, im still learning the ins and outs of performance driving. Well perhaps a live axle is the way to go then, my budget isnt a large one lol. What would be a good LSD rear to look into? Is a TRD LSD worth the trouble? I like the feel of a 1.5 way LSD but iver never driven a car with a 2 way, would it really be that much more of a handful? Id really like discs on the rear too. I dont like drums at all lol.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer MRMOPARMAN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
    something like a bog warmer, T series, F series, G series etc.. modded to fit
    all the above diffs come with a variety of ratios, rear brake options and can get LSD's, lockers etc for them. another one to consider would be series 3 bluebird rear end.

personally, id go borg warner or F series. but both will need to be shortened, killing your budget significantly
    Quote Originally Posted by cuzzo
    well have to see what gen is better the ke30 or the ke(yuk)25
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananaman
    Thats like comparing a house brick and a stiletto

Junior Member Carport Converter Billzilla's Avatar

Just set up the live axle properly, it'll be as good as an independent rear end on the track.
    www.billzilla.org
    Toymods founding member #3

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
    personally, id go borg warner or F series. but both will need to be shortened, killing your budget significantly
    Depending which one you get F series won't need narrowing, I'm using a disc brake MS112 diff (5 stud though), with 17x9.5's on the rear of my KE70 they clear the guards with a bit of rolling.

Callum