Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mods for 3SFE engines

Junior Member Grease Monkey Raceflo's Avatar

Default Mods for 3SFE engines

Hey Guys

I am about to have a bit of fun and try something a bit out of the ordinary, I picked up a very sweet 3SFE engine and computer, and am going to fit it into my Daily driver, a very clean KE70, my thoughts behind this being, the 3SFE is very cheap to buy and they are amazingly reliable, plus have the added advantage of reaonable power output, 115kw, this is quite good when you compare it to the usual conversion of the 4AGE at 86kw.
    But what I am hoping to be able to find out is if any one has had any experiance with modifing these engines, or if there are any gains to be had cheaply with these engines, ie respond well to timing, larger injectors etc etc.
    I welcome your opinions and any recomendations from past experiance.

Cheers
    Jon

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Default Re: Mods for 3SFE engines

For a start, none of the 3SFE's came with 115kW, the most powerful one had 100kW (or there abouts) and the most came with like 85kW. Perhaps you're thinking of the 3SGE. For the effort required in getting a 3S in a RWD configuration, I'd at least be looking at a 3SGE.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustCallMeFrank
    For a start, none of the 3SFE's came with 115kW, the most powerful one had 100kW (or there abouts) and the most came with like 85kW. Perhaps you're thinking of the 3SGE. For the effort required in getting a 3S in a RWD configuration, I'd at least be looking at a 3SGE.
    From memory Jon knows all about delaminating bearings due to oil pick up failures when putting 3S's into RWD format.

If you are going to bother doing it, then just wander off and read one of the 3SGTE or 3SGE conversions and apply what you learn.
    Mods will be nigh on non-existant, and undoubtably reasonably expensive, especially due to the scissor gear arrangement on the cams.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

i rekon a 3VZ-FE or 1MZ-FE would be a much nicer conversion for a little KE70.... and probably about the same or LESS effort would be required.

if you want to go the 3S-FE... then sweet, have fun

When you're done go and get a timeslip and tell me if you beat 15.809 seconds...

... thats what my AE71 ran with its busted-arse 4A-GE that i literally collected from a dump bin. (it later ran a 14.114 @ 94mph when i attached a turbo)
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by takai
    From memory Jon knows all about delaminating bearings due to oil pick up failures when putting 3S's into RWD format.
    I know, that's why I thought it strange to go for something with so little potential, that he knows requires so much work to insert.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Cheers guys

You are correct, I went back to the site and yes it says 115hp, I read 115 and assumed KW , I have a GTE head sitting on the shelf, I might see what is involved in getting it to run with that head on it.

And can I go on record with regards to the engine in the sprinter, no it was not an oil pick up or oil pressure issue with the engine, it was an oil break down issue, ie oil adevrtised to do a job that when pushed was not able to deliver, we are about to take this up with the oil company involved.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Cool Re: Mods for 3SFE engines

Be mindful of a 3s-fte, or 3s-f to gte project. 3s-fe's are notorious for abysmil survival rates past around 200bhp.
    One major problem they have is the older batch fire injection. While not normally a problem, there have been a good number of them tuned well enough to run around on, and blow up from un-even fuel flow across it.

My rule of thumb is:
    3s-fte > 200bhp needs an aux. pre-throttlebody fuel supply to help equalize it if the worst comes (on top of "good tuning&correct fueling"), AND water injection
    5s-fte's need water injection for anyone trying > 230bhp

5s-fte's have poor survivability as a whole past 230.

regular fella Conversion King chris davey's Avatar

Unless you have a nice 3s-fe laying around I wouldn't bother.

I reckon a nice 3rz-fe would be good. 2.7L of stump pulling torque in a 900kg ke70. Should be legal too. (Unless you turbo it ) Comes RWD stock so less stuffing around there. Should fit fairly easily if people can fit 1jz's in there. Don't know how much they are though?
    Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    that interior is so jap...just looking at it makes me want to kill a whale
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

If you want torque you may as well fit a 1FZ. Not sure how well it woudl handle though.
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

regular fella Conversion King chris davey's Avatar

I think 4.5L and 900kg may be past the legal limit somehow
    Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    that interior is so jap...just looking at it makes me want to kill a whale
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

Im not sure if there is a legal limit here in SA.

Junior Member Conversion King Jorrs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raceflo
    Hey Guys

I am about to have a bit of fun and try something a bit out of the ordinary, I picked up a very sweet 3SFE engine and computer, and am going to fit it into my Daily driver, a very clean KE70, my thoughts behind this being, the 3SFE is very cheap to buy and they are amazingly reliable, plus have the added advantage of reaonable power output, 115kw, this is quite good when you compare it to the usual conversion of the 4AGE at 86kw.
    But what I am hoping to be able to find out is if any one has had any experiance with modifing these engines, or if there are any gains to be had cheaply with these engines, ie respond well to timing, larger injectors etc etc.
    I welcome your opinions and any recomendations from past experiance.

Cheers
    Jon
    are u on crack

Junior Member Conversion King Jorrs's Avatar

the 3sfe is shithouse, throw it away now, and go get any 3sge or 3sgte and put it in, dont even bother with the 3sfe PLEASE
    but if u really keen there was a huge thread on the old forums bout modifying 3sfe i believe

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

3sfe is teh real p00 motor.

econo box performance, and thats it.

on paper, they're similar to the 3sge, being twin cam and all, but they are very different, i beleive, massively, internally, i only just found this out recently, as i thought, being twin cam, they should have similar performance to the 3sge, but they're different.

id imagine, pulling any decent amount of power, youd melt a piston, throw a rod, or snapp the crankshaft.... or something.

not cool.

3TGTE for teh win!

either that or bung a 2s in, from an sa63 celica, already RWD for fun and, less effort later if you want to go 3sge or 3sgte.

Eldar.O.

Cheers for the feed back guys, the motor cost me nothing and that was the only reason for looking at the conversion, but as I had not had any experiance with the engine I thought it worth posting up here before starting the conversion, its all good.
    Cheers
    Jon

Always look on the bright side of life