Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mods for 3SFE engines

is the most useless Backyard Mechanic jonchai's Avatar

Default Re: Mods for 3SFE engines

bottom line: get a 3sge (non-turbo option) 3sgte (turbo option) there is no-other Toyota engine in the same class worth mentioning
    Performance Through Technical Supremacy
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

hehe

UZA80 Automotive Encyclopaedia horse's Avatar

u want a good engine that will run for ages? get the 3sfe with a camry boxed around it. they run best that way. you want performance? dont even bother with the 3sfe. the sheer cost to make it RWD would greatly outweigh any benefit you could extract from them.

you cant put a GE or GTE head on a 3sfe. u can if u change internals but nothing simple as swapping heads.

if you are still adamant on extracting power out of the 3sfe then i'd be looking at how much kms its done. then i'd be looking at what you exactly mean by mods? a little more power or heaps more? personally if you really wanted to you can get some more power out of this engine, but as most of the camry guys know, its not the easiest engine to modify and it'll be a long path of customisation as there are next to no parts available.

let me know if you still want to go down this path.

Cheers

Junior Member Grease Monkey Raceflo's Avatar

For Sale one low KM 3SFE engine with Loom.......

Time to find another

Jon
    Cheers
    Jon

Always look on the bright side of life

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Ill give ya $50 for it, might even come and pick it up.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Strange ****** Grease Monkey wraith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by takai
    If you are going to bother doing it, then just wander off and read one of the 3SGTE or 3SGE conversions and apply what you learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by EldarO
    3TGTE for teh win!

either that or bung a 2s in, from an sa63 celica, already RWD for fun and, less effort later if you want to go 3sge or 3sgte.

Eldar.O.
    I'd hate to start an argument, but isn't one of the major issues with RWD 3S conversions the fact that the 2S-C has a 6 bolt flywheel? And is the 3S-FE also a 6 bolt flywheel? So isn't it worth checking out if the flywheel bolts up before rubbishing the FE? Considering how they ARE easy to get and not that difficult to obtain 3S-GE pistons if you wanted to mount a 3S-GE head? If your not looking to seroiusly lean on it, the 3S-FE block looks like an ideal candidate with a GE head. Correct me if I'm wrong- its just that they seem to do about 250,000kms, pop a head gasket, get a new one and keep going....

cheers

Ash
    WTB- replacement titanium nuts to suit the squirrel on my Megaswarf 2300. Carbon fiber model, not the Chinese knockoff fiberglass.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wraith
    I'd hate to start an argument, but isn't one of the major issues with RWD 3S conversions the fact that the 2S-C has a 6 bolt flywheel? And is the 3S-FE also a 6 bolt flywheel? So isn't it worth checking out if the flywheel bolts up before rubbishing the FE? Considering how they ARE easy to get and not that difficult to obtain 3S-GE pistons if you wanted to mount a 3S-GE head? If your not looking to seroiusly lean on it, the 3S-FE block looks like an ideal candidate with a GE head. Correct me if I'm wrong- its just that they seem to do about 250,000kms, pop a head gasket, get a new one and keep going....

cheers

Ash
    Issue isnt flywheel or gearbox (3SGTE fly, Y bellhousing)
    Issue is oil pickup, and oiling. Read more young padawan.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

UZA80 Automotive Encyclopaedia horse's Avatar

i'm with you on that one Takai.

who cares how many bolts are on the flywheel? some 3sfe's came with 8 bolts. does it matter? does the price of tomorrow's fish change it? no.

secondly 3sfe - fe head + ge head does NOT work. if you were to change all the internals then yes it would. first thign that is different is the different valve angles.FE is 22 degrees, GE is 45. this leads to changing the pistons, then the cranks are different etc and the list goes on. need i say more?

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Back from the very dead
    The 22.5 degree valve angle heads were used on the best blacktop beams 5th gen engine
    as Billzilla proved the narrow valve angle heads can extract easier hp also on the 4afe engines
    and are superior to 44.5 degree angle heads when modified for high hp

Quote Originally Posted by horse View Post
    i'm with you on that one Takai.

who cares how many bolts are on the flywheel? some 3sfe's came with 8 bolts. does it matter? does the price of tomorrow's fish change it? no.

secondly 3sfe - fe head + ge head does NOT work. if you were to change all the internals then yes it would. first thign that is different is the different valve angles.FE is 22 degrees, GE is 45. this leads to changing the pistons, then the cranks are different etc and the list goes on. need i say more?

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Well,about 10 year ago I built a 3S-FE to -93 Carina E. Ported the head,fiddled with the manifold and so on.Result? 155 hp and 217 Nm and REALLY strong torque curve.Did leave 3S-GE Celica standing still..Stock cams and everything;only SMT6 tunebox dialed in.Today I probably can make it somewhat better;one learn by doing..
    So you "experts" saying that 3S-FE is crap can go home and learn things before commenting about things you don't know a shit..

3SFE ports arnt too bad just a little small. Its the tiny throttle body and long intake runners that restrict it. I put one in a AE86 (RWD), with bigger TB and shorter runners. I had it running but sold the car before I got to drive it so I dont know what it would have been like.

SR40g Spacia sump, pickup and 5SFE oil pump fixes and RWD oil issues I have done it before. SR40g is a stock RWD 3SFE.

" SR40g is a stock RWD 3SFE. " What? RWD 3S-FE? Please tell more! Is it a Aussie special or what??

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liteace View Post
    Back from the very dead
    The 22.5 degree valve angle heads were used on the best blacktop beams 5th gen engine
    as Billzilla proved the narrow valve angle heads can extract easier hp also on the 4afe engines
    and are superior to 44.5 degree angle heads when modified for high hp
    so what you're saying is.... buy a blacktop beams 3sge
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MorGo View Post
    " SR40g is a stock RWD 3SFE. " What? RWD 3S-FE? Please tell more! Is it a Aussie special or what??

Basically a LiteAce turned into a people-mover
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

Yep sold in Aus and JP. I have the stock RWD intake manifold lying around at home, but I might hang onto it so I can boost a $100 wrecker motor in a KE lol. SV21 3SFE has good comp for boost.

When I had my Townace (KR40), I was soooo tempted to dump the EFI 7k for a 3SGTE!! Imagine getting your ass whipped by a shitty van haha!!