Thread: 20v 4age into TA22 - wiring help needed!

Purple is the new black! Automotive Encyclopaedia sillycar chick's Avatar

Default 20v 4age into TA22 - wiring help needed!

Hey guys need some help figuring out the last of my wiring...

The plug on my alternator looks like this:

(I can get a better pic tonight)

I found a diagram on the net of what the 3 wires are supposed to be but they were part of the alternator and not a plug by the looks of it, definately different from mine.

My alternator also has non-standard colours coming out of the plug so it confuses matters more. Does anyone know which pins are which on my alternator?

I am also a bit confused on how to wire these up once I work out what each one is. What I can gather is that a cable runs off a screw terminal to the battery, then in the 3 pin plug there is lamp, sense (12v reference) and ignition. Lamp and Ignition seem easy enough, but where do you get the 12v reference from? I havent got a wiring diagram for the 22 either and the ones ive found on the net arent good enough quality to zoom in on, so not sure what the standard alternator wiring is. Also, can the lamp wire be used to run and amp gauge and not just a dummy light?

Ok now moving on to EFI relay, im still a bit confused about the whole concept. What exactly does it do and is it necessary in all EFI applications? Of the small bit of research I did last night I gathered you run the fuel pumps AND injectors off this relay.
    Now I was talking to Wilbo on msn the other week, as I had read the manual for my Razorback ECU which said I can run the fuel pumps off the ecu and the ecu acts as a circuit opening relay by only switching the pumps on when it detects the engine rotating. Wilbo showed me how to wire the two pumps up via a relay off the ECU which is fine.
    Do i need to run an EFI relay in this instance? As far as I can tell the injectors just run off the ECU and there is no relay for them.
    51LII - 1972 TA22 Celica | Morpheous Metallic | 4AGE 20v Silvertop | Razorback ECU | W58
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75 View Post
    There is not much hotter than a Freshly painted Celica, Unless its the reflection of a freshly painted Celica on a freshly painted Celica

I love aardvarks Backyard Mechanic Invid's Avatar

Default Re: 20v 4age into TA22 - wiring help needed!

There is a great article about Toyota alternators here:
    http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h8.pdf

You will find that there are too many wires in your TA22 loom as the old 2T alternators ran with an external regulator. You will need to sort our which of your wires you will need to keep and which can be ditched (if you haven't already).

I re made a TA22 wiring diagram that should be very clear located here:
    http://khi-santh.canberracelica.org/

ps. Is there any markings on the alternator to indicate what each pin may be?

pps. I have several 4AGE wiring diagrams at home, will see if they make any reference to the Alt plugs.
    1972 TA22 2TGZEU - Now with Z Powaaah! (Go, go Gadget Torque!)
    See pics on http://sebastianbecher.com.au - In the automotive photo gallery
    Proud supporter of the http://www.canberracelica.org

Junior Member Carport Converter RA35GT's Avatar

The Sense wire (12V reference) is connected to the battery (+12V) as well, but through its own dedicated wire (a small wire is sufficient).

In most factory applications the power supply (+12V) to the injectors is run off the ignition switch (either through a relay or directly), that way if the computer crapped out the ignition switch would still turn the engine off.

The computer is only connected to the Gnd side of the injector.
    1977 RA35 Celica GT - I4 | 2007 GSV40R Aurion - V6
    Don't live life being scared of death, live in the fear of not truly living. RP 2012

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Invid View Post
    There is a great article about Toyota alternators here:
    http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h8.pdf

You will find that there are too many wires in your TA22 loom as the old 2T alternators ran with an external regulator. You will need to sort our which of your wires you will need to keep and which can be ditched (if you haven't already).

I re made a TA22 wiring diagram that should be very clear located here:
    http://khi-santh.canberracelica.org/

ps. Is there any markings on the alternator to indicate what each pin may be?

pps. I have several 4AGE wiring diagrams at home, will see if they make any reference to the Alt plugs.
    i have a AE111 4AGE 20V Black top, im having problems and need the wiring diagrams, do you have it

Thank you very much
    Last edited by pavelmen; 23-11-2009 at 09:59 AM. Reason: writing

Breaker of all things aka Backyard Mechanic Chrisso's Avatar

Not sure about the razorback ecu, but generally the ecu grounds the injectors, and as 7M said the power is supplied from an alternative source, usually a relay which is triggered from the ignition switch. In the AE86 it comes from the Engine main relay No.2 (drivers footwell).

The EFI relay often supplies the power for the ECU and the fuel pump (via the circuit open relay). This can also be used for injectors, depending on the configuration. I wouldn't get too hung up about it. Just use it to power anything that you want running when the car starts (power at cranking & running).
    AE86 4 shades of silver - The Lone Ranger's steed is on the road again!
    AE86 shell - waiting for a donor car from the auctions.