Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TA22 rear window rollers

I <3 Vito Conversion King RiceburnaGTV's Avatar

Default TA22 rear window rollers

Hey all thought id finally post up a thread about this conversion,its pretty straight forward but there are a couple of tricks that make it heaps easier..

First of all you need these..25mm rollers bout 4 bucks a pack from Bunnings

Obviously take off the rear trim.Before you remove or undo any of the bolts, I mark around the bolt heads with a pencil,this will enable you to get all the channels of the window back to the same original factory setting which should be spot on.

Next step is to remove the window.There are 3 bolts that hold it in place and you can usually get to them best with the window in this position.

After you get the window out,remove the 4 bolts that hold the regulator.Take the stopper out the top of the channel thats runs along the left,then loosen the bolts that hold the channel(keep them on the thread) and push them through the holes so they pop out.

At this stage I advise to have a look at the regulator arms and see how it all fits and slides into position as its easy to put it back in, upside down..

Now if you have a shit shell or no interior this is as far as you will need to go.

Once its in this position just angle-grind the pins that held the nylon rollers in position off and punch out the remaining metal to leave a perfect 8mm hole..If you have a decent interior/body take this piece off by removing the circlip that holds it on.You dont need to remove the whole regulator..And you will be left with this.

Now I prefer to grind the pins off as it leaves a perfect hole when you punch out the rest but you can drill them out aswell.

Now because the threads on the rollers are designed to slot into a squared hole that holds them while doing up the nylon nut,they are an absolute pain in the arse to tighten..I suggest getting a standard nut and washer,otherwise get some very very grippy needle nose plyers and try and hold it..

Put it all back in the same way it came out and align the bolts up with the marks you made.If it is still stiff, look how its all lined up to see you dont have the arms bending the wrond way on wind up..

Once you do the first one the second will probably be done in 15mins.

Good luck and enjoy perfect windows mechanisms
    Last edited by RiceburnaGTV; 03-04-2006 at 12:07 AM.
    -Just Alloy Radiators-
    www.alloyradiators.com.au

Junior Member Domestic Engineer shelldrake's Avatar

Default Re: TA22 rear window rollers

good job mate. really gotta get onto these, but hey I might as well do it when I do the power windows and the central locking.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer TA22 GT's Avatar

Nice work...
    I did this upgrade a few months back and it works perfect....

Cheers,
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by shelldrake
    but hey I might as well do it when I do the power windows and the central locking.
    Bastardo! Im stinging to do mine aswell but it would mean ditching the stock door trims and maybe having to track down original power window ones...ooohh and that would just be getting too fanatical and bloody expensive
    -Just Alloy Radiators-

Junior Member Domestic Engineer TA22 GT's Avatar

Yeah, it is expensive buts its also pretty cool....

The only problem is that the original power window controls aren't the best anyway. I actually have to do a small job on mine now to get the passenger side working reliably.

I do also have central locking, this isn't too hard or expensive and beats manaully unlocking the car.

Cheers,
    Simon

yeah it would be nice to have power windows but not yet...

central locking is a must though,I loved it one my red one and no door locks,I would actually love to go all out and have no door handles either...dont know what engineering would be like though
    -Just Alloy Radiators-

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Good post mate, i may even end up doing this rather than getting bushes made, as i cant be arsed dealing with the ripoff kiwi that makes them
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

But I have no carport? Carport Converter merc-blue's Avatar

dad did this in his 71 TA quite a while ago, and they work like new
    a great conversion

Quote Originally Posted by o_man_ra23
    Good post mate, i may even end up doing this rather than getting bushes made, as i cant be arsed dealing with the ripoff kiwi that makes them
    yeah dont worry bout the bushes mate,you will only have the same problem again down the track..these 25mm rollers are perfect,im sure the original bushes would have been 25mm aswell as there is no movement within the track side to side at all.

Cheers
    -Just Alloy Radiators-

Forum Member

Thanks for the info!!
    I"ll do that soon, my drivers side window mechanisim is more stuffed than rear so that comes first

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Toy77's Avatar

heya,

good work, but i have no rear windows that wind down....

does the front work on the same system? i cant be bothered pulling it out to look, but would be very keen if it were.....

i have no door locks either.... as for door handles, there needs to be an external opening device in nsw (it may be a visible external opening device).
    alot of guys use poppers that come up through the top of the door, near the window. if you are keen, surf a few mini truck forums, im sure you'll find all the infp you need.

Cheers
    Stew

Quote Originally Posted by Toy77
    heya,

good work, but i have no rear windows that wind down....

does the front work on the same system? i cant be bothered pulling it out to look, but would be very keen if it were.....

i have no door locks either.... as for door handles, there needs to be an external opening device in nsw (it may be a visible external opening device).
    alot of guys use poppers that come up through the top of the door, near the window. if you are keen, surf a few mini truck forums, im sure you'll find all the infp you need.

Cheers
    Stew
    Hey man,yeah front are the same size roller and work a treat...definately remember the mark all bolts when you take them out though as there is quite a bit of adjustment in the fronts.

cheers

Nath
    -Just Alloy Radiators-

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Toy77's Avatar

thanks, that was a super quick reply....

well if it frees it up heaps, maybe power windows are on the cards, was always worried bout burning out the motors.
    anyone here used any of the aftermarket ones available?

i'll start a new thread i think....

Cheers
    Stew

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RiceburnaGTV
    yeah it would be nice to have power windows but not yet...

central locking is a must though,I loved it one my red one and no door locks,I would actually love to go all out and have no door handles either...dont know what engineering would be like though
    would be illegal. have to have easy access from outside the vehicle for emergency situations etc. should hear firies goin off when they see a car with shaved door handles
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

The most important thing to do, when installing these rollers, is clean and re-grease the tracks. That way if you do convert to electric, it will be nice and smooth, as weel as quick.
    You just dont want the new rollers running in tracks that have 30 years worth of built up gunk.

cheers Chuck.