Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: TA22 rear window rollers

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia roadkill's Avatar

Default Re: TA22 rear window rollers

Hi,

i started to attack my front windows in my 28 yesterday and can confirm they are a smaller roller. I can also confirm that there are 2 of the rollers and 4 of the bean things PER WINDOW! I don't know if mine are different to everyone else, if the 28 is different or what. But yes there was definately 2 rollers. odd......

bEn
    FJ40 landcruiser
    HJ47 landcruiser
    FJ55 Landcruiser
    MS65 Crown

Celica Pilot Conversion King Gold28's Avatar

OK I did this mod on the weekend. First side took close on 4 hours or torment, second side an hour and a half. So I have a few pointers to add to your instructions. More as a sanity saver than anything else.

After pulling the trim and plastic off, you will see various groups of bolts/nuts.

Mark all bolts as per riceburners advice.

At the most aft (back) part of teh car you will find a group of 3 bolts. These are for the rear rail which actually sits horizontal. Remove this and slide the rear rail off the roller and remove it. It should come out easily and just gets in the way if you don't.

Next aft is 2 bolts down low and a single nut up higher. These are for the stopper and once again, it gets in the way and it is easier to remove it.

Then everything else has to come out in the same assembly. I actually found it a lot easier to totally remove the adjustment screws on the front rail and realign the window afterwards. It is a soul destroying experience to try and get it out otherwise.

Other than that, the mod is great. The windows roll up and down like they should and I am happy as a pig in mud.

Thanks Riceburner. Sensational effort.

Anthony

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

I'm doing this today and currently have a rear regulator out. Had to undo everything as somehow a bunch of sandpaper had found its way into bits of the mechanism, so putting it back will be fun.

Points of note.
    In my car at least the bushing is more like 27mm than 25mm (I'll post pics in my build thread tonight.)
    Local bunnings only had two available and I was going to use the Thai repro jobbies from eBay. Entirely too thick to go into the track, fortunately only two of the bushes had crumbled so grabbed what bunnings had and will replace the perished ones only.

Will tackle other ones when bunnings has more.
    Last edited by masterofsinanju; 04-08-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Bumped for info Goodness.

Have done this on a few of my Classics now - very worth the effort.
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

I <3 Vito Conversion King RiceburnaGTV's Avatar

Really glad people are still getting something out of this! I am not very technical so it makes e proud to have been able to contribute in this way
    -Just Alloy Radiators-
    www.alloyradiators.com.au

Toymods Board Member Domestic Engineer mynameisrodney's Avatar

Hi Guys,

I just wanted todouble check that this is where the roller goes for the door windows as mine are completely gone. There is also a roller in the regulator assembly so wasn't 100% on which one.

Cheers,
    Chris

Junior Member Grease Monkey ta22fan's Avatar

Yep - that's it.

Thanks mate, it was years ago that I took the buggers apart.

Cheers,
    Chris

I know the feeling. This is a really good conversion. Did all four windows on my TA22 a year or so back, and it works perfectly. Couple of tips based on my experience: Drill the old studs out from the back with a drill press, and then just punch them out (basically like removing a pop rivet). Put a small dab of glue on the mounting plate around the hole (superglue or epoxy if fine) and then position the new roller correctly (don't get glue on the thread of the roller unit tho). When dry, fit and tighten the lock-tight nut (saves a lot of fiddling with pliers trying to hold everything in position). Don't forget to give your runners a clean up and re-grease otherwise all your good work can come undone real quick.

Awesome tip with the glue! What grease did you use in the runner? I've cleaned them out but haven't started reassembly yet.

Cheers,
    Chris

Suggest you go with a white lithium grease, or this one which seems to be well regarded for this type of application:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Honda-Shi...item5af39d199d

shit fuck! been at it for a few hours now and cant get the first one in. Nath's original post seams to suggest separating the bit with the rollers from the window. Is that how people are getting them back in?

Cheers,
    Chris

EDIT: ok just followed Anthony's advice and took all the adjustment legs off the rails and managed to get it in (just).
    Last edited by mynameisrodney; 11-08-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Forum Member

Fantastic conversion. Very happy with the result.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

OK , firstly thanks so much for the invaluable posts and info , now here is a little trick i worked out . Firstly find your oldest and smallest 1mm cutoff wheel ( you know the one you keep just in case )

Then mount the angle grinder in a vice and put a slot in the flat back of those bunnings beauties. Only go in as far as the metal , dont go too far and damage the rollor or black seal ,also make sure you havent greased them or anything yet as you dont want the grindings to stick . Blow them out after you have made the slot and hey presto easy as pie

Last edited by machschnell; 24-12-2014 at 12:10 PM.
    I'm an atheist but it's not my fault it's the way GOD made me

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Hey, great thread!,

Ive got a couple of quick questions for those of you who have done this mod to both the front and rear side glass..

i bought the window bush kit off ebay but the rollers dont fit my 72 ta22 rails so im going to get some of these Rolltrak rollers.

ill start with the rear window, my first question is... my rollers are none existant. ive attached a photo of my mechanisms can anyone confirm the cirlced areas are the correct mounting position for the 3x new rollers?

IMG_2100 by postlematt, on Flickr

Also im going to do my doors while im at it, mine have 3 intact nylon rollers (circled areas) but i saw that some of you guys were only replacing one roller per door?

IMG_2099 by postlematt, on Flickr

if anyone can clear this up it would be much appreciated! im going to have to get a mate to go to bunnings in aus and buy me some of these Rolltrak rollers and send them over to NZ as bunnings dont have the correct part# here.

Cheers!
    -Matt