Thread: JDM AE92 DLI 4agze + E-manage Ultimate

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default JDM AE92 DLI 4agze + E-manage Ultimate

Hello guys,

I am driving an AE86 with JDM AE92 DLI 4agze. The only mod the engine has is the 180mm crank pulley. I am going to install a E-manage Ultimate sometime in the August.

I tried looking for installation guide online but I found no useful information. I had no luck contacting Greddy USA; their tech never came online. Can any of you please help me with the wiring?

On the Greddy installation manual, it has the ECU diagram for AW11 4agze. These are the wires from the Greddy manual.
    #E Sensor Ground
    t No. # ignition signal
    E Ground

#1 No. 1 Injector signal
    #2 No. 2 Injector signal
    G Cam Angle Sensor
    Ne Crank Angle Sensor
    I RPM signal
    W Water temp signal
    Th Throttle Signal

SPD Vehicle speed signal
    A Intake temp signal
    Ar Airflow/Map sensor
    Kn No. # knock signal
    +B Power

I tried to find those wires base on AE92 4agze wiring diagram. I could find most of the wires except for the MAP sensor signal ?!!

Also, what kind of fuel injection does AE92 4agze has? is it individual or group injection?
    How do I hook up the ignition harness? Do I follow the "4 cylinder group ignition" or "distributor type ignition"? I am guessing its the "distributor type" because we only have 1 ignition signal to the ECU, is that right?

My last question is the harness for knock, water and vacuum temperature. Do I pick just 1? Or I need all 3? Because "knock 1 is sharing a wire with water temp" and I dont see a "knock 2/vacuum temp" on my Emanage harness.

Thats all the questions I have so far. Please help me out guys...

Thank you very much

Non qualified Domestic Engineer

Default Re: JDM AE92 DLI 4agze + E-manage Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by uniquetrueno View Post
    I tried to find those wires base on AE92 4agze wiring diagram. I could find most of the wires except for the MAP sensor signal ?!!
    EMU says that the factory MAP sensor only reads to just under 7psi.
    If you want to monitor pressure with your 180mm pulley, you should probably get the Greddy pressure sensor. Failing that, you could use the TPS as the load refferance. I did that for ages on AFM 4AGZE. It's a slightly dodgey method, but it's pretty reasonable on an SC engine, but it should never be done on a turbo'd engine.

Thank Also, what kind of fuel injection does AE92 4agze has? is it individual or group injection?
    EMU has it as group fire (2 inputs-2outputs)

How do I hook up the ignition harness? Do I follow the "4 cylinder group ignition" or "distributor type ignition"? I am guessing its the "distributor type" because we only have 1 ignition signal to the ECU, is that right?
    Distributor type.

My last question is the harness for knock, water and vacuum temperature. Do I pick just 1? Or I need all 3? Because "knock 1 is sharing a wire with water temp" and I dont see a "knock 2/vacuum temp" on my Emanage harness.
    The EMU only has 2 inputs. Water temp input is required if you want to use the autotune function (wide band AFR meter required), as the EMU has an adjustable minimum coolant temp setting before it performs any autotuning. This allows for any coolant temp enrichment to be completed so the EMU isn't trying to correct for rich running, cold engine.
    Word around the forum is that the knock sensor isn't particularly accurate on the 4AGZEs. I don't use it myself.
    I'd be much more inclined to use the IAT sensor. Especially as you have the MAP sensed ECU. If you fit a more effective intercooler or water injection, it will allow you to use the IAT maps to change ignition timing and fuel.

Hope that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    except for a very few exceptions
    "Don't worry what people think, they don't do it very often."

Daily: Glorified Taxi (F6 Typhoon). Out Of Action: Twin-charged Adub. Ongoing Nightmare: Over re-engineered (not) Alfa Romeo 75.

So it is acceptable to run without Greddy Pressure Sensor if its SC engine but its a different for TURBO 4agze. But it is still recommended to get one for the SC.

So I guess I would hook up the water temp signal for the Ultimate. However, I am using aftermarket temp gauge and I removed the stock temp sensor. Do I need to put it back on?

Also, I am missing a wire for Intake Air Temp on my Ultimate harness. Is this normal? Can I open the plug and install a wire?

Alright, I hope this is the right way of doing it.

First, we find the ECU wiring diagram for AE92 4agze
    Heres the diagram...

Then we find the AW11 (MR2) 4agze installation guide provided by Greddy. However, AE92 has a different pin design. We can use the AW11 diagram as a guide to find out which is the necessary wire for AE92.
    This is the diagram supplied by Greddy. It is included in the Greddy Ultimate installation guide.

Definition of each symbol:

#E Sensor Ground
    t No. # ignition signal
    E Ground

#1 No. 1 Injector signal
    #2 No. 2 Injector signal
    G Cam Angle Sensor
    Ne Crank Angle Sensor
    I RPM signal
    W Water temp signal
    Th Throttle Signal

SPD Vehicle speed signal
    A Intake temp signal
    Ar Airflow/Map sensor
    Kn No. # knock signal
    +B Power
    These are all the required wires listed by Greddy.

Then, we try to find each wire's name/abbreviation by checking the AW11 wiring diagram.
    Which can be obtain here...http://www.club4ag.com/faq_and_tech_...1%204A-GZE.htm

#E Sensor Ground = for E01 (Earth01)
    t No. # ignition signal = IGT (igniter)
    E Ground = E1 (Earth 1)

#1 No. 1 Injector signal = #10 (Injectors 1 and 3)
    #2 No. 2 Injector signal = #20 (injectors 2 and 4)
    G Cam Angle Sensor = G1 (dist. pickup coil)
    Ne Crank Angle Sensor = NE (distributor pickup coil)
    I RPM signal = IGF (ignition feedback from ignitor)
    W Water temp signal = THW (Thermostat water temp)
    Th Throttle Signal = VTA (throttle position sensor)

SPD Vehicle speed signal = SPD (speed sensor)
    A Intake temp signal = THA (Thermostat air temp)
    Ar Airflow/Map sensor = VS (AFM wiper)
    Kn No. # knock signal = KNK (Knock sensor)
    +B Power = switched +12v

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic DrNick's Avatar

I would recommend the GReddy MAP sensor, it just plugs straight into the option port and then you know you can tune the engine against load rather than guessing with rpm. Although as it has already been pointed out, you can indeed get by without it. The decision is up to you.

I've never got the knock sensor working properly on the Supra, I suppose I should spend a but of time checking it all out but its a pain in the neck lying under the dash splicing wires together

I have connected water temp on the first input and knock 2 on the second one.

Heres a handy hint for when connecting water temp (This applies to Supra so may apply to other Toyota water temp sensors as well) : When setting the jumpers inside the emanage unit, do the OPPOSITE of what GReddy recommend for a factory water temp sensor. If you pull the jumper that they specify, then the reading is way off and the car will overfuel like anything (mine never got higher than 12afr the whole time).

Aside from that all you need is the ECU pinout for your vehicle and you are set.

Now, we have the AW11 abbreviation; we can try to find the wire for AE92 by looking at AE92 wire diagram.

Below is the wires I found base on the AW11 abbreviation. I was managed to find most of them except for a few.

It is recommended to use Water Temp Signal than Knock signal. Which I think is reasonable because I read that 4agze knock sensor can be very annoying.

It is not necessary to hook up the RPM signal for E-manage, as long as Cam and Crank angle sensor is hooked up.

Now, I have some questions.
    1st...Which one is my AIR FLOW/MAP SENSOR SIGNAL ????
    2nd..Which one is my #10 and #20? AW11 #10 is injector 1 and 3. AE92 #10 is injector 3 and 4)
    3rd..Do I need SPEED SENSOR? What is it for? Is it important?
    4th..The +B is EFI Main Relay. Because I dont have my EFI Main Relay Connects to my wire harness, it is cut, but I can still gain access to that single wire. Will it work? That wire supplys the POSITIVE power for E-manage, right?
    5th..The Earth 01 and Earth 1. It says Intake Manifold on the ECU pin chart. Are those 2 the ground wires that we can find on intake manifold?

This is the 2 wires I am talking about. They bolts onto the intake manifold. Could they be the EARTH 01 and 1?
    Last edited by uniquetrueno; 02-08-2009 at 12:23 PM.

can anyone please help me out? Thank you very much

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

yes those are the earth wires for teh ECU bolted to the manifold.

If you are going to use the E-manage to adjust igition timing, you also need a little electronic circuit to "dummy" the factory ECU IGf failsafe signal.

How the factory system works is - ECU sends out IGt signal to the ignitor to tell it to fire the coil(s), and the ignitor sends back the IGf signal to tell the ECU the coils were fired successfully.
    NOW - when you install an E-manage, the E-manage intercepts the IGt signal and re-sends it, adjusting the ignition timing in the meantime..... this means that there is a DELAY from the factory ECU sending out the IGt signal, and receiving the IGf signal back from the ignitor.....

... the factory ECU DOES NOT LIKE THIS, and chucks a spaz.

Therefore, you need to do this:

http://www.users.on.net/~jezza323/IG...Gf_circuit.pdf
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Thank you The Witzl.

Which one is my MAP sensor signal and how should I wire my injectors?

PIM = map sensor signal.

Injectors should have 12V+ from ign to one side, and the earth is provided the ECU injector outputs (pulses them on and off). Actaully.. i think that the GZE has low impedance injectors, and therefore needs a resistor pack between the 12V+ ign and the injector.
    Check the factory wiring diagrams.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Yes, gze is using low impedance injectors. The Witzl and Greddy are saying the same thing about using a resistor. Can I make a resistor?and what does "between 12v+ ign and injecto" means?

Thank you for the reply

12V goes to resistor pack goes to injector.
    Other pin on injector goes to ECU injector output.

If you cant do this, perhaps you need to seek out a professional to wire up your car.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

I thought about bringing my car to professional. However, I dont think the professional here is professional at all. Theres a Greddy authorize dealer but he does not know how to tune e-manage at all. Even if I pay him to install the e-manage, he wont do the extra things for ignition and fuel injectors. I would have to do it myself. Thats why I think its better for me to learn and do it myself.