Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: St141 modification thread

Incompetent Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: St141 modification thread

Although a tight fit, a 1ggte is a fairly straightforward conversion - but by no means "bolt in". I reckon you would have a quality-but-budget conversion complete for about $6k so it's a good choice for someone who doesn't have unlimited funds.

Personally, I'd look at putting in a 3SGTE - although there's considerable extra difficulty as far as manifolding it's going to be a much neater fit.

I recall my 1G had about 0.0000001mm between the radiator and the engine, and about 0.0000002mm between the clutch cylinder and the rear turbine inlet, it's probably not ideal as far as weight distribution and airflow.
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....

Junior Member Carport Converter ecko's Avatar

yeah i have ra60 struts with hubs and brake just gotta get some shock and probly new rotors and pads maybe even get the calipers rebuild...

i really cant see how putting a 1gge in would cost 6k...
    by my calculations including replacing the hg and valve seals etc +water pump timing belt etc
    labor to put it in with custom mounts i cant see it being anymore than 1500 or so.. but i haven't factored iin getting a gearbox to suit. and maybe a tailshaft and new zaust

1GGE? I said 1GGTE.

Good late model turnkey half cut about $2000 by the time it is delivered to your door by a towie, ensures you get everything. If not you can buy a bare engine & box fairly cheap but there's the unknown condition and also the fact that you've got no idea what is/isn't missing.
    Engine mounts $100-$500 depending on your skill level, how you want to make the mounts, if you use new or old rubbers, etc.
    Gearbox mount can use either stock RT142 or Supra one from memory. Can't remember which but should only be $20 or something
    Clutch $350
    Intercooler, mounting, piping, clamps $750
    Exhaust system $750+
    New radiator, or mods to fit yours (outlets will need to be moved) $100-$250
    Major service items for engine (new belts, fluids, filters, seals, etc throughout) $500
    Misc items (new radiator hose, slimline fan, probably add an oil cooler, etc) $500
    Fuel system $200-$500
    Tailshaft $50 (should be able to use RT142 item).
    Wiring $100-$1000
    Engineering/transport approval $100-$2000

Then you'll also find that your diff isn't up to the task and you'll need an upgrade there.
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....

yeah the motor im looking at is not in a halfcut.. it has ecu loom afm and bellhousing..

i can pretty much half the cost of parts too as i work at repco...

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice <cozzy>'s Avatar

i can vouch how much things cost iv spent 8grand on my rona puting a 2jz-ge in it and doing most of the work myself and its still not finished ... i first estimated 5 grand.. then over 8 grand later...

id love to do a 2jzge swap.
    any pics and details of the build?
    u should make a members ride thread

nah didnt realy take any pics of the build i'l put one up if i find one...

heres a snap of engine bay its bit hard to see shoulda put flash on but good times

heres snap of inside to..

who has done there heater core in a rona before?
    ive got to do mine soon

and another question will a fuel tank from a sedan rt142 or rt142 wagon fit a st141 wagon..
    i wanna convert to intank fuel pump and wondering if any other tanks fit
    Last edited by ecko; 14-06-2009 at 07:55 PM.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Pube's Avatar

Having done the 1ggte conversion twice before on a RT142 csi IRS model and RT142 avante live axle properly I wouldnt recomment bothering with it. If you were to do the engine transplant and associated intercooler plumbing, heavy duty clutch, diff conversion, brake upgrade etc...it all adds up. You are looking around $7500 ++. You are way better off buying a A70 supra with a 1J, Chaser etc or someone elses project. You gotta remember the old corona isnt too nice on the eye and even with a 1GGTE still doesnt get the credit it should.
    SOLD : 1GGTE Rt142 Corona - Twin TD04-9b turbos - 180rwkw = 13.1 @105mph

yeah its only my daily guys.. the 2sc is horrible on petrol and i hate having borg warner S**T in my toyota..

i was hoping to use the 1gge because its local cheap and hopefully more fuel efficient and reliable maybe more torquey too..

unless u guys have any other ideas for a better motor?

A 1gge would make a nice drive car.. but even then you're still overcapitalising. I can't see it costing less than $2k and while it's good bang for buck you've got a dirty old engine in there and no future upgrade path. Do you really want a hotted up Corona as your daily? I find that a lot of people start with a basic car and do lots of mods thinking it will be cheaper, but in the long run it costs three times as much as buying a much better car. I used to have an RT142 as well, and it was a really great car. If you still want a Corona, trading up to an RT142 is your best bet. You get the tough Toyota gearbox, power steering, aircon if you want it, EFI fuel system already installed, if you choose the right one you'll get a Toyota IRS rear end, etc, etc. Despite what people say the 22RE is a great motor, you could literally pull down a house with the torque and driven correctly it's actually quite a fast little engine.

If you want to go silly you're better off either saving your money for a full-blown conversion and budgeting $6-8k for what seems like an easy conversion and $10-$12k for a hard conversion. I know that seems like way too much but I've been doing this shit for years and it always adds up.

Even better again is buying into someone else's hard work in the form of an unfinished project, or something that's already finished.

I'm pretty handy and have made a lot of budget decisions but my current engine conversion is going to cost me at least $8k and I've done it all before a number of times. Once I'm done the car I'd like to think the car will be worth $10k but it's very hard to sell a car for what it 'costs' because people ahve the perception that conversions are cheap and/or if they're spending that much money they'll buy someting 'better'. For example the mount I'm spending on fitting a 3SGTE to my car I could buy an MR2 Turbo instead.

yeah understood...
    i can just hate having a carby and want to go to something injected although a 22rc may be ok

i agree 22re's are great id do that conversion but someone earlier said it was alot of effort i dont see how but...

shoulda just kept the supra lol
    Last edited by ecko; 15-06-2009 at 08:04 PM.

question.
    im taking my jza70 wheels to be tested to see if they can be redrilled to fit my corona.
    they are 16x7 .
    im wondering if they will fit width and height wise..
    i plan to use about 195 50 tyres

Opinionated Arsehole Backyard Mechanic

Edited post.
    Last edited by 4DaDrift; 07-08-2009 at 04:10 AM.