Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: How to swap in QUAD Semi-Sealed H4 Headlights (old celica etc)

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: How to swap in QUAD Semi-Sealed H4 Headlights (old celica etc)

Quote Originally Posted by caam View Post
    It is legal in QLD however
    My question exacly.. Was going to do a quad light for the aw11 but somone on the mr2 forums told my why its iligal, but i cnt remember why...

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by masterofsinanju View Post
    Dansblackcat can you tell me which edition of the ADR's you are looking at?

I've had a squiz (after getting a similar statement about 4 lights from NSW RTA) at the ADR's but I can't see the limit of two driving lights you've mentioned and I had come to the conclusion I was just encountering ignorance. But it could be ingnorance on my part.

(I'm probably going to go the BMW 5 series swap just to avoid the argument, but it might be good to know about the quad convo related ADR's.

This is the one-
    2006 Vehicle Standard -ADR 46/00 - Headlamps.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Quote Originally Posted by dansblackcat View Post
    I will have a poke around at work and let you know which one I was reading. Knowing my work it was probably 30 years old.
    The Phillips lighting rep told me straight away it wasn't legal but I figured stuff it and did it any way.

It might be less noticeable on a car with 4 equal sized headlights. My jag has two large and two small lights so it stands out when all four are on and really does look like you have your high beams on.

It's a shame because the light output was excellent. I now run 4 hid lights, still illegal but output is mental.
    I'm not assuming you using one that is illegal, it's just that for cars older than 15 years, the states have much more say in what is acceptable. I'd love to be able to argue my way with more than common sense, since that usually doesn't get anywhere when you are talking about the law.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic egamirrorim's Avatar

Can anyone confirm if 4 low beams are legal in NSW or not?
    I've been trying to find the relavant ADRs but all of the government websites I try end up in '404 - file not found' when I click on the supposed links.
    I'm not that fussed if I cant have 4 low beams as I will just upgrade the factory set up with more powerful lamps (and wiring to suit) but I'd like to know one way or the other so I can start sourcing what I need.

P.S. Is it just me or do the pics on the first page not work? Have tried at home, work and on my iPhone but cant see them?!

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

Can not confirm or deny, not living in NSW. The manufacturers in their maintenance books give a prescribed footprint for low and high beam lights. If your quad low beam lights fall into that same footprint I can see no reason why anyone would hassle you. It is the numb nuts that fail to have their lights adjuste correctly that gets me pissed off, along with a group of VW/Porsche manufactured SUV's, get one of festers tailgateing you at night and you will know all about it, even when they are on low beam.
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Chris,

Last I looked into it there was no legal ruling on how many hi or low beam you can have, just the angle that high and low beam have to operate at and a maximum wattage that the individual globes can be. As Chuck said, if you make sure your lights are adjusted properly, and that you hi and low beams dip as per the factory intention then as long as you run ADR compliant globes you will be fine. From memory is 100 Watts max but its been a while since i bothered to check.
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Digging up the bones here.

I want to convert my stock sealed setup to semi sealed housings but have the highbeam as yellow lenses and the low beam with a blue tinged bulb with clear lenses, leaving the factory 2 low/2 high configuration.

Do i need to find a special type of semi sealed 5 3/4" light that only has low or high beam globe inserts or do i just buy any 5 3/4" H4 light and only use the desired globes in them?

I am also having a hard time finding a yellow lensed one that is good quality.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic egamirrorim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl View Post
    Justing bringing this one back up guys....

Please note that I have updated the wiring diagram of death to better mimic a factory setup.... with the new diagram your low beams globes switch off when the high beam is on. This is how i've wired it on my RA28 now.
    NOTE: you will need at least one 5-pin relay, instead of just two 4-pin ones as originally specified.

Also uploaded all the pics to the 18rg.com.au server so they are all visible again

Any questions, just post em!
    Hi Karl,

Any chance that you still have the wiring diagrams for this? The links in the original posts aren't working.

Or are they on the 18rg.com.au site? Cuz that isnt working either lol

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice Jimmy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by egamirrorim View Post
    Hi Karl,

Any chance that you still have the wiring diagrams for this? The links in the original posts aren't working.

Or are they on the 18rg.com.au site? Cuz that isnt working either lol

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    I'll second this request