Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How to swap in QUAD Semi-Sealed H4 Headlights (old celica etc)

Toymods Board Member Domestic Engineer mynameisrodney's Avatar

Default Re: How to swap in QUAD Semi-Sealed H4 Headlights (old celica etc)

ok thanks,
    would there be a better way of doing this to prevent a slow drain?

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

yes - but complicated to explain in the 2 minutes i have remaining left at work
    it involves using another relay
    ...... butt scratcher?!

is the bestest Conversion King LeeRoy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisrodney
    i want to wire mine up so that the headlights and tail lights turn off when you turn off the car. is this the right way of doing this?[/IMG]
    Is there any reason you want to do this chris? Most cars are wired so that the lights can still be activated without ignition or accesory power i would guess as a safety feature, much like the horn being wired with constant 12v regardless of key position.

Quote Originally Posted by bansheebuzz
    takai and ta-022

im not talking about a lights on indicator, im talking about the high beam indicator, it acually works through the low beam filament of the headlight globe.
    You are correct, with the hi beam selected the relay switches between 87 and 87a and grounds the hi beam wire while the low beam wire is not grounded through the relay but is instead grounded through the HI BEAM indicator light on the instrument panel. I think it actually allows the low beam light to light up somewhat but it would not be noticed with the hi beams on, not to mention the majority of current is given a much better grounding path through the hi beam light.
    Daily Driver: Red Ae93 Project: My TA22 - now with 3s-gte
    D is for Disco, E is for Dancing

lots of newer cars do this. in my dads commodore for example he leaves his lights on all the time and they turn off when he switches the car off. my magna switches off the headlights when accessories is off (but stupidly leaves the tail lights on making it way easier to not notice and still flatten the battery ).

at night time its not a problem but sometimes when i drive to uni during the day i switch the lights on to drive through the harbour tunnel and then forget they are on coz it's daylight when i arrive. it's basically just one of those features that new cars have that i would like to have on the 22.

EDIT: in the commodore it's actually a bit more advanced. you can turn the car off and take the key out and the lights will stay on until you open the drivers door. they will then stay off until you next start the car. but obviously that is way too much to try and implement here.

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

Or you could just wire in a buzzer that goes off when you switch the ignition off with the lights on, my Mazda lets you take the key out but buzzes when you open the door.

Callum

Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    yes - but complicated to explain in the 2 minutes i have remaining left at work
    it involves using another relay
    is this what you were thinking? as far as i can tell this solves the problem, but i'm no guru on this sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by WDE_BDY
    Or you could just wire in a buzzer that goes off when you switch the ignition off with the lights on, my Mazda lets you take the key out but buzzes when you open the door.

Callum
    yeah i had thought of that but my gf has this setup in her astra and it just gives me the shits every time it starts beeping at me.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia SillyCarS's Avatar

hey karl

can i ask you a huge favour mate and fix up the pics on the first page if possible?!

cheers

craig

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia SillyCarS's Avatar

but teh wires in the diagram arnt the same colour as in the car!

FML now the multimeter is coming out

my ra's don't go out in the dark so haven't noticed weather lights suck or not.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

I can confirm that having four low beams is illegal.
    I was pulled over by the police because as they thought I was driving around with my high beams on. After showing them that it was actually on low beam they told me it wasn't legal.
    I snipped out the two wires running the inner low beams and they sent me on my way with just a warning.

I checked in the ADR catalogue I have at work and you cannot run anymore than two main driving beams. 4 high beams are fine.

Also something I noticed after converting mine is that a lot of drivers flash their lights at me thinking I have my High beams on.

Nothing but a Backyard Mechanic caam's Avatar

It is legal in QLD however

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Dansblackcat can you tell me which edition of the ADR's you are looking at?

I've had a squiz (after getting a similar statement about 4 lights from NSW RTA) at the ADR's but I can't see the limit of two driving lights you've mentioned and I had come to the conclusion I was just encountering ignorance. But it could be ingnorance on my part.

(I'm probably going to go the BMW 5 series swap just to avoid the argument, but it might be good to know about the quad convo related ADR's.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

I will have a poke around at work and let you know which one I was reading. Knowing my work it was probably 30 years old.
    The Phillips lighting rep told me straight away it wasn't legal but I figured stuff it and did it any way.

It might be less noticeable on a car with 4 equal sized headlights. My jag has two large and two small lights so it stands out when all four are on and really does look like you have your high beams on.

It's a shame because the light output was excellent. I now run 4 hid lights, still illegal but output is mental.

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

I've used one of these kits -
    H4 9003 Harness Relay Halogen Headlight lamp For Toyota | eBay
    Probably your cheapest option, only setup for two headlights but should be easy to mod for quad lights.

Callum