Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to swap in QUAD Semi-Sealed H4 Headlights (old celica etc)

Aerial Superpony Domestic Engineer SeptemberSquall's Avatar

Default Re: How to swap in QUAD Semi-Sealed H4 Headlights (old celica etc)

In Victoria, only one pair of main forward low-beam lamps is permitted, unless said additional lights are utility or accessory lights (ie. fog lights) which are used only when appropriate (ie. in foggy conditions).

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Nice work Witzl!

unsure what you mean though by the dodgyness of the Autobarn units when fitting the bulbs - are the bulbs difficult to fit to them or is the missing dust cap the problem?

Also can you let me know what size wiring you used in your car, as I plan to do this to my TA22 as soon as money permits.

cheers
    Vanman

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

you just have to look at the different angles that the two globes are sitting at in the pics above!! Each lens had a different angle that the globe sat at, when they should all be straight.

I used 12 gauge cable for the main power to the relays, then 16 or 18 gauge to each globe.... with a 14 gauge cable for the earth on each globe.

I'm anal when it comes to cable sizing
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Forum Member Grease Monkey TwentyTwo's Avatar

I can vouch for the effectiveness of 4x100w/150w H4's. Anything else seems like candles after I put them in my TA22.
    They can actually melt the aluminium bull bar off an on-coming Discovery 3 from 100 metres. Werd

IWRNDU Automotive Encyclopaedia DQIKST's Avatar

hey karl,

how you doin,one of my lights has blown so instead of changing it i wanted to do this conversion.

except i dont have a second set of mounting caps. i was wondering if you would like to off load one of these to me (please buddy, champ)

also do you have any time up your selve to do this for me??

cheers
    ThE wOrLd GoEs RoUnD n RoUnD nOt Up N dOwN
    Daily 76' celica 1GGTE 1125kgs 13.7@ 91mph
    NOS= ITS LIKE A HOT CHICK WITH STD's YOU WANT TO HIT IT BUT ARE SCARED OF THE CONSEQUENCES

whats the gee-ooo with every one having chicks in there avatars
    1980RIP NATHAN BRETT DEAN2007,

Forum Member Grease Monkey

on the wiring diagram what's 30, 87; 85, 86 ???

My Missus is a Domestic Engineer BradW's Avatar

relay terminal markings.
    Brad

Old Corollas never die...

My KE30
    Updated 15/7/2007............ yes, I need to pull my finger out.

Whats the drain like on your electical system? A friend commented that after he did this conversion, putting around slowly at night could drain the battery.

Yes it most definitely DOES!! Especially with the sub-standard 50Amp alternator that Toyota gave the 18R engines

Hence - read my EA Falcon alternator upgrade for 18R-Gs thread
    ...... butt scratcher?!

the only problem with your wiring is your high beam warning light wont work

IWRNDU Automotive Encyclopaedia DQIKST's Avatar

Karl i went through the pages of this forum and dug up this thread now can you please answer my question on page one.
    ThE wOrLd GoEs RoUnD n RoUnD nOt Up N dOwN
    Daily 76' celica 1GGTE 1125kgs 13.7@ 91mph
    NOS= ITS LIKE A HOT CHICK WITH STD's YOU WANT TO HIT IT BUT ARE SCARED OF THE CONSEQUENCES

whats the gee-ooo with every one having chicks in there avatars
    1980RIP NATHAN BRETT DEAN2007,

Sorry dude i dont have the time, nor do i have the parts to spare (i need all of my spares!!)

Banshee... it actually does work.... but im going to amend my wiring above soon anyway
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Just Another Part Time Grease Monkey

I did this years ago with my RA28 and was suitably impressed, but due to the low output of the alternator on night country runs I had to dip my lights occasionally just to let the voltage build up. I can understand the bigger alternator being fitted.

Since then I was told that a 100W globe compared to a 55W puts out 70% more heat and about 15% more light. It did not bother me on the Celica, but for the next vehicles I owned I performed wiring upgrades to remove the voltage drop from too many metres of low diameter wiring between the power supply and the bulb. I stuck with the 55/60W bulbs (although modern varieties) since I thought the extra heat would soon damage the plastic lenses or cause the reflector to peel and the load on my alternator is reduced.

For Toyota (and most cars) it is normal setup that all the current has to go through the dip switch on the column and this can burrn out when the wiring is upgraded. To fix this I came up with an elloborate system with several relays and fuses. It had to be elloborate (or so I thought) due to being negatively switched and a fancy method for making the high beam light come on.

Voltage drop is not unexpected when the positive feed goes from the battery into the cab to the main fuse box then across to the lighting relay and back to the headlights. The switched negative goes from the body somewhere then up through to the steering column to the dip switch with tiny contacts (and solder that melted on me when under too much load) then back to the font of the car to go to all the headlights. Thats a lot of wire. After the upgrade a very heavy wire goes to an array of fuses near the battery and then to the relays next to it. The relays are then connected to each of the bulbs. Since the new setup uses positive switching the common on the bulb is connected to a negative earth.

Since then I found a diagram on how to wire up for a landcruiser. A landcruiser has the same wiring for the Celica so the diagram is just as relavant can be used. One good feature is that if the system gives trouble, or you sell the car, the wiring can be removed for the next Toyota and the old connectors reattached to the lamps.

The diagram can be found here:
    http://www.safari4x4.com.au/80scool/.../80wiring.html

Good luck and I would still recommend replacing the sealed beams with semi-sealed lamps and halogen bulbs.
    Last edited by BrianRA23; 09-06-2006 at 12:11 PM.

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WindeX
    Whats the drain like on your electical system? A friend commented that after he did this conversion, putting around slowly at night could drain the battery.
    Windex,

The alternator and for that matter the relays do need to be up to task. When I upgraded the MS65 to 4 x 150w High beam it actually fired the alternator and drained a H/D truck battery over the course of a 1hour drive home from work. My spare alternator (also stock MS65) lasted equally as poorly. The fix was an 80Amp alternator After that it just kept melting the 30Amp relay (Note to self... 1 High beam relay wasn't enough for 600W lol)

The MS53 runs the factory 2JZ-GE alternator with no hassles at all. The bits and part number used in the wagon upgrade is listed in the thread here: http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=112

Mos is doing my TA22 at the moment as part of the complete rewire and we have gone a step further again by fitting a relay for the Dichromic Parking lights and using fused relays to neaten up the wiring.
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

---------HO00NS---------- Chief Engine Builder IN 05 NT's Avatar

bump...here's all the info that you guys are after!