Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1JZGTE problem, rev limiter/ idle

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default 1JZGTE problem, rev limiter/ idle

Hi everyone,
    I have just finished getting a 1JZ conversion done in my 87 GZ20 soarer. At the moment i have a problem with the car in the fact that it idles high, (approximately 1200-1400 rpms) and the fact that it won't rev past 5500 rpms. It feels like the car is starving for fuel but i seriously doubt that this is the case, althought it "feels like it" i don't think that it is. Also i connected my power FC today and just took it for a quick run and it does the same thing but at about 5000 rpms and i checked the injector duty cycle and it was only on about 48-52%!
    Can anyone suggest some other causes for this? Idle position sensor? I have done the coil packs and plugs in the car ( i had spare coil packs lying around from my last 1j) and it didn't change anything.
    At the moment the speedo isn't wired into the dash and i thought that this may be causing a problem because it will free rev past 5500 just not under load or when the car is moving!
    The car was an auto with a jza70 loom onto a jzz30 motor with a hks modified ecu in it at the moment, i'm currently running a W58 box.
    any help at all would be appreciated
    cheers
    matt

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

Default Re: 1JZGTE problem, rev limiter/ idle

havent left a vac hose off? can cause a fast idle and lean out at higer revs> Does it just cut out at 5000 or start running like crap / lean?

mate i have checked all the vac hoses and when i disconnect one of them, it does make it rev higher. BUT there may be a small split that i just can't hear hissing when i am moving on the road... can't hear or feel anything in the engine bay. thanks for the quick reply though
    cheers
    matt

At Work I'm A Grease Monkey Hibba's Avatar

are all the turbo/waste gate hoses on right? sounds like it might be hitting the full cut.

MX83 Grande
    DirtyWan Skyline GX

yeah mate they are all sweet, i had another 1j in it before this one and it ran sweet as... all i got done was new bottom end and head and all manifolds etc got put onto the new block.... the old motor ran sweet (idled high) but didn't cut at 5500..... no idea what is going on

Ex GZ20/1JZGTE Owner =( Backyard Mechanic White Knight's Avatar

Hmmm a similar thing happened when I did the 1JZ conversion in my 88 GZ20. It wouldn't rev past a certain point. We couldn't figure it out.
    We don't know why this fixed it but we took the coil packs out and the spark plugs, checked them all, refitted them and took it for a drive and it ran perfect.
    Strange, but doing that fixed it. *shrugs*
    Previous Ride: 1990 ST185 Celica GT Four - 3S-GTE with Manual ... ???awhp @ 8psi with Blitz ECU remap
    Previous Ride: 1991 MX83R Cressida Grande - 7M-GE with Auto ... ~150rwhp @ 0psi
    Previous Ride: 1988 GZ20 Soarer GT Limited - 1JZ-GTE with Auto ... 286.2rwhp @ 18psi

rightio, well because it is not a hard job i will redo that tomorrow, i will mix and match my coil packs and see what different setups can get me
    thanks for the reply man
    cheers
    matt

apprentice pwnerer Grease Monkey phrostbyte's Avatar

Diagnostic connector + engine check light? If it is an actual ECU controlled rev limit (ie. it bounces off 5500, not just dies in the ass), then it will be the ECU detecting a problem and limiting your revs to prevent damage to the engine. Bridge the diagnostic connector and have a look, usually it should tell you what's going on. Only takes a few minutes too...

Kev.
    RIP Kev. You'll be missed.

Old worklog of the last 2 KE70s (long since updated): http://ke70.theicy.net/
    Current AE71 4AGE Daily Driver (Soon to undergo AE86 front end and rear bumper!!: [COLOR=Blue][url]http://www.toymods.net

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

As said, check the codes!

Cheers
    Wilbo

regular fella Conversion King chris davey's Avatar

I would also be checking the fuel filter and replacing if you haven’t done so in the conversion.

It either has to be ecu related (codes), ignition related (coils, plugs, coil connectors, igniter) or fuel related, (pump, filter, dampener, injectors or FPR) Check all of those things and I am sure you will find it Start with codes they as they are easy as long as it is wired in.

Good luck Matt. BTW you coming to mini jam? If so, we will be on the hill under a gazebo with a big ass Toyota flag
    Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    that interior is so jap...just looking at it makes me want to kill a whale
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

Fuel filter is deff worth a try! Have seen that plenty of times.

ok codes that came up where (42) "you have no speedo you tool" that was then fixed so an ecu reset occurred followed by me bouncing it off the 5500 rpm limiter that i have in every gear! then i came back checked the codes and voila! it was blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink... translation "everything is AOK so leave me alone"
    now what?
    i need to do the fuel filter hopefully will be done tomorrow afternoon, then i am thinking of pinching the igniter from my girlfriends jzz30 for a few runs!
    any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    cheers
    matt

regular fella Conversion King chris davey's Avatar

wouldn't think it would be igniter as AFAIK they are either working or not. If not, then no starting whatsoever. But as you can just borrow one easily then you may as well try.

It is instances like these that a wideband o2 can be helpful as you can see if it is cutting fuel.

Fuel filter first though.

Can the fuel pump flow the required amount above 5500rpm? What pump are you using?

Stock injectors? cleaned at all? I have a feeling it is fuel and not spark but that is just a feeling.

May as well check the coils for cracks. Also, if you go for a drive try and rev it out and then turn the car off and pull the plugs out. You have to do it very soon, no idling in between. Then you can read the plugs and see if it is leaning out or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    that interior is so jap...just looking at it makes me want to kill a whale
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

the car will free rev past 5500 no sweat
    it is booked for a dyno on the 18th so that hopefully will be the be all and end all of my problems LOL, but you want it to be running as nicely as possible before the dyno to get your moneys worth out of the tuning yeah? i hooked up my PFC and the injector duty cycle was fine and nowhere near where it started to f*ck up. injectors have been cleaned so maybe it might be the pump?
    thanks for all your help chris

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic ndgcpr's Avatar

I drove it and its very odd, It def feels like a rev limit, as i have driven a 7M that hits boost cut and it is a bad felling, plus it lights the check engine light. This still goes on it merry way and just seems to rev limit at 5500. We were thinking things like fuel delivery and stuff wouldn't be the problem since the last 1J was happy to rev up.

I have heard stories about spark plug temps. like if you get the wrong ones they will miss fire in higher revs. I have also driven a motor that is starved of fuel (although it was a mechanical pump on a holden 202) and this car doesn't die like my old commo used to. What missing sensors would cause a lower rev limit??? Is it possible a simple unwired sensor would cause this? Just thought i would try and add my look on the matter.
    Noisy Diff and Gearbox Club of Pine Rivers
    and you thought your car was loud
    The Soarer brought to you by the letter TT