Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AE102 3SGE BEAMS swap questions

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default AE102 3SGE BEAMS swap questions

Hello All!

This is my story.

Background:
    My BEAMS redtop motor set is sitting at my friend's shop, waiting to be swapped into my 7AFE equipped 93 AE102 wagon at the end of this month. Unfortunately it is missing axles, motor and trans mounts but otherwise is complete. I know there is a 3SGTE swapped E10 hatch here and was wondering if some of the tips and tricks to shoehorning that motor will apply to mine.

Questions:
    Pre-amble: My 3SGE BEAMS is equipped with a S54 5spd transmission. I can't confirm whether it comes with / without LSD without taking the trans apart. My first question is regarding axles.

1. Since I'm in Canada, I would like to know what USDM axles fit and if having an LSD or not makes a difference? ST162 axles seem to be the logical choice with length being the only concern. I would likely have to make hybrid axles with ST162 inners and AE102 outers.

2. Mounts - Can I use any S-series motor and trans mounts and modify as necessary or try using my A-series mounts?

Sorry if these questions seem trivial. I just want to be prepared when my car goes under the knife at the end of Feb!

More questions will be added in time.

TIA!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic 3sgte's Avatar

Default Re: AE102 3SGE BEAMS swap questions

Wow,

That sounds like a lot of fun.

I used to have an AE102 that I put a 3SGE in (in Toronto).
    (See the Avatar)

As for axles, I used ST162 axles, they fit right in. I should add that mine was a Gen 3 motor and tranny IIRC. I didn't have proper mounts, so I used a combination of mounts that I had kicking around. I have heard that a Caldina ST215 mount can be used at the timing belt end, but that is pure heresay, so take it with a grain of salt and don't spend big money importing mounts. I can get a picture if that seems like a help.

I actually used the axles to center the engine left to right when welding up the engine mounts. (by comparing the relative positions of the outer joints with the axles fully pressed toward the engine (inner joints fully plunged inward).

I put 48,000 kms on it like this, so I don't think you will have an issue. I did originally consider widening the track a little at the lower control arms, as the track on a Celica was marginally wider (About 1 cm IIRC). Also, I kept stock height, so if you plan on lowering it, widening the track to accommodate the axles may become more important. Funny enough, it sat at basically stock height with the stock Corolla springs.

Is LSD important? That is up to you. Mine would have definitely benefited from it, but there was always something better to spend the money on. Finish the swap before spending the extra on an LSD, you may well find that the swap is more labor intensive (and costly) than you anticipated. Are you good with a MIG welder?

I had a few minor firewall clearance issues. That was mostly due to where I put the engine, I tried to leave a lot of room up front for a turbo. A/C was all but an impossibility with the intake manifold that my motor had (because of where the AC pipes come out of the firewall on the Canadian spec (LHD) vehicle).

I used an ST165 rad because it could be fit into place fairly easily, and the price (for a new one from the dealer) was reasonable ($300 Cdn). The hoses came off in the right places, and it had the nipple on it for my planned turbo (which I never got around to).

Also (for the Auzzies) Canadian AE102 are little different than an AE101. Over here the distinction seems to be the engine displacement. They are not superstrut equipped.

Hands down this is the swap to do over a 4AGE 20V. I have driven both, each for 2 years plus, and the 3SGE wins in every metric.

Thank you so much! You are the only person who agrees with me that the 3S is a far better swap than a BT 20v in an AE102. Surprisingly, the BEAMS motor set I bought was around $100Cdn cheaper than a 20v 4AGE BT so I couldn't pass it up. True custom mounts, axles, wiring and other extras will cost the same or more, but the end result will be a huge smile on my face! And before anyone says why not stuff a 3SGTE in if I'm going through all this trouble, that's because this is the family / baby-mobile and for me the BEAMS provides ample NA power for my needs.

Thanks for answering my questions. If you can post pics of the mounts, that would be great. BTW, I do plan on lowering my wagon so the ST162 axles should fit nicely.

Having driven both, can you describe the difference in overall performance whether on the street or track? When I'm done, I'd like to take in a track day just for kicks.

PS: My friend is a fabricator extraordinaire, so custom mounts and mandrel bent exhaust won't be issues.

If you can think of any hurdles I might encounter, please add them to this thread!

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Will be watching this thread with great interest (BEAMS is one of my engine considerations a long way down the track, after a 20V 7AGE). Throw up some photos of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by 3sgte
    Also (for the Auzzies) Canadian AE102 are little different than an AE101. Over here the distinction seems to be the engine displacement. They are not superstrut equipped.
    In Australia, the AE101 is the 1.6L 4AFE sedan and hatch, and the AE102 the 1.8L 7AFE sedan, hatch and Sprinter liftback. AE101 Levins and Truenos with the silvertop 20V and 4AGZE are imports, and fairly rare. We never got the wagons
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

Will be watching this one. I am currently planning a 3SGTE swap for my AE101 GTZ Levin.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro
    Will be watching this thread with great interest (BEAMS is one of my engine considerations a long way down the track, after a 20V 7AGE). Throw up some photos of the car.

In Australia, the AE101 is the 1.6L 4AFE sedan and hatch, and the AE102 the 1.8L 7AFE sedan, hatch and Sprinter liftback. AE101 Levins and Truenos with the silvertop 20V and 4AGZE are imports, and fairly rare. We never got the wagons
    I may save the 7AFE to build a 16v 7AGE for my AE86...not sure yet. I'll have to keep my open for your build if you haven't already started. As for pics, I don't have many and there isn't much to look at considering it is stock and the ever popular beige / champagne. At least mine is a one owner and somewhat rare 5 spd manual.

Too bad our wagons weren't available in BZ Touring trim as it is in Japan. I'm slowing sourcing parts to make my own BZ wagon.

TERRA Operative - I'm pretty sure there are a few 3SGTE swapped AE101 out there but if not, this thread may help you.

I will try to dig up that picture of the mounts this weekend.

Here are a couple of pics of my co-worker's car.

You can see mine in the background with the snow tires on it.

This was a locost built from parts pulled from the scrap metal bin (including a 5SFE bottom end), S54 tranny IIRC, open diff, wheelspin at nearly any speed. Best sleeper ever.
    Last edited by 3sgte; 06-02-2009 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Added Pictures

That's awesome! Here is my sleeper and it's inspiration.

1993 AE102 Corolla wagon 344,xxx km with original clutch!

1996 AE102 Corolla sedan from Malaysia - BEAMS and 5 lug conversion. Unfortunately the current owner bought it like this and knows nothing about the swap.

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

The 190 series Corona/Caldina was available with both a 7A & 3S. So this may be a place to start for mounts.
    I believe some Celicas in the US were also available with a 4A & 7A. So that may be an easier source.

Allright, I have put up a bunch of pics in a Photobucket album.

Wagonist, feel free to add pics.

http://photobucket.com/Caldina_Engine

A sample:

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

Need the next model older Caldina, I think. I'm not sure what other engines the #T21# had.
    At some point, the Caldina started to get the 1ZZ.
    I definitely know that the CE102 had a 2C motor, and the AE102 was a 7A.

It may be easier to get the mounts modded.

Quote Originally Posted by wagonist
    I'm not sure what other engines the #T21# had.
    At some point, the Caldina started to get the 1ZZ.

Oh What a Feeling! Backyard Mechanic c2888's Avatar

http://www7b.biglobe.ne.jp/~burumeta...0/trd2000.html

TRD released a 3SGE powered Corolla AE101 many moons ago
    The spanner in my avatar is actually a 16mm, that's why it's still new

c2888 - Thank you for posting that! I wonder if anyone has part #'s for the mounts etc.

3sgte - What shifter cables did you use? The AE102 cables in my wagon don't fit the S54 transmission which means I'll have to find ST162 cables or similar ASAP.

So far this is what works and doesn't work.

-ST162 axles, heater core lines, fuel lines all fit
    -motor & trans mounts need some modification except the top trans mount which fit perfectly
    -ST202 S54 trans shifter cable stops are larger than AE102, ST162 do fit but I don't have these atm
    -power steering line from the AE102 rack to the ST202 ps pump fit with slight bending of the line for clearance
    -lower rad hose is on the wrong side

After two days, my friend has made excellent progress. I'll post up the pics when he finishes.