Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1GGTE TVIS + Aftermarket ECU and BB Turdbro

Toyota fanatic Grease Monkey Gttwinturbomk3's Avatar

Default Re: 1GGTE TVIS + Aftermarket ECU and BB Turdbro

Hello there mate,

You will get a bit quicker boost response with the tvis setup as to not having it there, but at the same time up the revs you get restrictions obviously in the flow which brings power loss higher up in the rev range. Personally with Kyles intake there, the tvis is a insult to his work, and needs to be biffed into a furnace. Start increasing the flow not resricting it, like hearding sheep point them in the direction and give them a clear path. This is what you need to do with your intercooled air molecules.

Having your turbo spool up at 2700rpms is not necessarily better than at 3500, the ideal thing is to select a size with which will boost fully before half way through the rev range all the way up to the redline. Its your choice but personally i think the turbo you have got is a bit small and would go for something bigger for more power and sacrifice threshold a little, Remember the best thing about a turbo is certainly NOT how quick it boosts, the lower your threshold the less power you get. You need maximum compressor efficiency and cooler intake charge temps.

With a smaller turbo it will spin faster than a bigger turbo (turbine side) given the same exhaust gas energy to work with, which creates more exhaust resrictions in the flow this is bad as it couses resriction between the turbine and the combustion chamber. This back pressure is the crap side of turbos and must be dealt with correctly, buy compromising between boost threshold and back pressures you will have a good responsive setup. A turbo which is to small can have a loss of power up to 25% compared to a bigger one that is reasonable for on boost applications. At the end of the day you need to decide as to whether or not you want a turbo to go around town in, or one for the track and drag racing etc.

James

"it went up in a jiffy" Conversion King Kedderz's Avatar

James, even with kyles intake the head flows only ~180cfm and the stock manifold is said to flow 240cfm, IIRC.
    Today i got taken for a drive in a ta23 with a 1g with the same turbo I have same microtech etc, intercooler etc just a smaller rear housing. at 16psi the setup produces 240rwkw, which is more than enough, I also will be using cam gears which he did not.

Craig (the guy who took me for a drive) retains his TVIS, I will be also just with the 4mm screw mod to the number 1 and 6 runners to enable even flow (kyle himself notes a 10cfm differential betwwn the other runners and number 1 and 6)
    RA23 - Twincharged
    JZZ20 - Daily

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia SillyCarS's Avatar

tvis will be ditched on mine, same setup as screminrolla with gt30 but i have a custom intake from roadrunner

you running stock internals and head m8?
    RA23 - Twincharged
    JZZ20 - Daily

Toymods Club Member Backyard Mechanic auto351's Avatar

I will be leaving my TVIS in place,

But I was wondering if you can use a vacuum/presure switch to open the TVIS, mesuring the presure drop across the butterflies when the presure drop exceeds a preset value ( indicating the butterflies are restricting the flow) open the TVIS ?.

TVIS when no vaccum is applied and the vacuum tank has been depleted is openned. when vacuum is applied it is closed.

In my instance ill be just applying vacuum/boost to the tvis + tank and allow the boost to force open the butterflies.
    RA23 - Twincharged
    JZZ20 - Daily

Quote Originally Posted by Kedderz
    you running stock internals and head m8?
    yeah stockinternals and head, very similar setup to screaminrolla's setup i think

its in the toymods members section, otherwise setup is:

gen III 1g
    440cc injectors
    1gge cams (havent got cam gears yet)
    microleb lt12s with x6 and bosche coils
    gt3076r
    custom intake manni
    38mm tial gate
    38mm turbosmart bov
    turbosmart fpr 800
    bosche 040 with 3/8" lines and surge

i would like 240rwkw, this isnt masively important because i have never driven a car with this much power , just based on what other ppl have achieved

i hoping the way i drive will make it last for a while but no doubt the clutch will be the first thing to go boom

with the TVIS, i was asking the same question a week or two ago and was told its for idle and helps with air con power steer etc. since i dont have any of these its gone. also i cant really afford the time the fuck around with it (or pay someone else to atleast )

here's a teaser

very nice

TVIS is only for low down torque, increases air speed by only using 6 of the vailable 12 runners. Idle isdone by the iscv, not sure as who made the comment about TVIS doing anything to idle!

What TB you using?
    also what are you doing for idle control?
    RA23 - Twincharged
    JZZ20 - Daily

yeah im prob trying to explain something that has been explained to me that i dont fully understand, from what i get it helps with torque from down low, thus helping with hinderences on the motor such as air con etc etc

i think its a 7mgte throttle body, ive been told for idle to set it up like a carbie with a an adjustable screw but im told it works

i just realised, wont that fuck with my BOV???

Go a XF/NL fairlane falcon body with built in 2 wire ISCV, microtech can control these with just one output, much better solution than with carbie style idle screw!
    RA23 - Twincharged
    JZZ20 - Daily

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SillyCarS
    ive been told for idle to set it up like a carbie with a an adjustable screw but im told it works

That's not going to help your cold start at all mate (techinically it will but not in a good way), all that'll do is enable a high idle to aid cold start and leave you with a high idle all the time = ghey.

Just go down the well worn path Kedderz is with the falcon idle control valve built into the throttle or if you're already committed to your current setup get the slightly earlier standalone two wire ISCV and plumb that in. Just be sure you use a one way valve on it to prevent boost leakage as the valve won't hold boost with a complete seal when closed, I checked last night.

I'd check the ISCV in the throttle body you have too Kedderz as it probably leaks (I'm talking a very small amount here) boost too, not enough to see a drop but enough that it's worth preventing it.

If you need a pic of what the ISCV looks like sillycars let me know and I'll take one tonight before I fit it to the car.
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1

one i have has no ISCV, so im chasing another one with it
    RA23 - Twincharged
    JZZ20 - Daily

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kedderz
    one i have has no ISCV, so im chasing another one with it
    Ahhh I thought you had it.

What do they cost new from Ford? Probably a few$$, the standalone ISCV was about $170 from Ford last I heard. More like $10 from a wreckers though.
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1

Im now chasing a EA-ED series unit which has the iscv built in, most XF/NL ones have had the iscv stoled-ed

either that or use a 20v 4age 2 wire and plumb that in?
    RA23 - Twincharged
    JZZ20 - Daily