Thread: Fried Piston Rings?

Bored d00d Backyard Mechanic H1TMAN's Avatar

Default Fried Piston Rings?

Hey guys and girls!
    Sorry for all the threads, I was just wanting to know a quick diagnosis.
    Nath suggested it could be oil from the cam covers leaking into the spark plug well.
    I have replaced all the plugs and there is no longer a burn't smell from the oil cap, just unburnt oil from the exaust. Unfortunately I am a retard and have no idea on this stuff yet.
    I have booked a service with a dude who really knows his shit but it wont be for a few days..

Cheers guys,

Callum.

P.S. My Alternator light on the dash stopped working- only after the dash was taken out though, how do i check if its charging?
    Miss my Ma61

Backyard Engineer Domestic Engineer airfireman1's Avatar

Default Re: Fried Piston Rings?

volt meter across the battery terminals is the easiest way. measure the voltage with the engine off and then measure the voltage after starting the engine.
    You should get a slight increase inthe reading when the engine is running. should be around 12.5 to 13.2 volts without engine running and slightly higher with engine running.
    Cheers Dave

1977 RA28
    1972 TA22
    1984 Supra

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by H1TMAN
    Nath suggested it could be oil from the cam covers leaking into the spark plug well.
    I have replaced all the plugs and there is no longer a burn't smell from the oil cap, just unburnt oil from the exaust.
    Did you clean everything up and tighten the cam covers when you changed the plugs? I still can't see how it can blow oil out the exhaust, are you sure it's not just the carbon buildup mixing with water vapour? I've got black marks everywhere that attest to it always doing that

Did it start running on all cylinders with new plugs? Those old ones were well past their use-by date and had seen pretty much only cold start after cold start in their last 6 months. What plugs did you end up using and what did you gap them to? (Note, this is purely for my own curiosity) Can't remember off the top of my head what plug they were, Rod recommended them to me. They were gapped to 0.7mm though.

Quote Originally Posted by H1TMAN
    P.S. My Alternator light on the dash stopped working- only after the dash was taken out though, how do i check if its charging?
    Stick a multimeter across the battery terminals when running and see what voltage it is. If it's 13-14V it's charging.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

It was while I was at work, I got the resident mechanic to do it so I'm not sure.
    But unfortunately it wouldn't start at the caravan park at lunch and after work, there was no spark from the leads (1,2) I didn't check the rest as I was out of time. Theres also oil caked onto the turbo closest to the driver and steamy smokey stuff gets pushed outta the 1st turbo under load. No the cam covers did not get cleaned though- had a little lookey today and it was more dirty then elephant shit. Apart from that i shall keep checking the oil when its running again to make sure its actually loosing it, Hopefully from a loose line in the oil cooler or somthing.

Praying all goes well.
    I'll find the plug gaps and stuff tomorrow, if his there.
    Miss my Ma61

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

ur leads could be shot maybe thats why ur not getting any spark

it goes in next thursday.. they re booked me- bastards!!!
    meanwhile I will look into the spark issue myself.

Just need someone to tell me what it will cost to get my turbo seals re-done?
    No-one up here will tell me.
    Miss my Ma61

Sucks about the mechanics dude, when you home?

It'd surprise me if the leads were shot, they're Magnecor ones and they've only seen about 30000km. They were modified when the Adaptronic was put on to suit the 7MGTE coilpacks so if you need replacements, they'll be custom. It also seems weird that it's 1 and 2, because they're not even on the same coilpack are they?

If you're thinking of going to the expense of getting the turbos rebuilt, I'd consider two other options. Get a decent pair of Gen3 turbos, surely someone has them laying around and sell off the BAG ones, and they will match them for power easy. Or, see out my initial plans (hence the reason for the ECU and bigger injectors etc) and do a turbo conversion. I was planning a KKR380 on a Y-pipe manifold for sheer bang for buck.

Oh, and it doesn't have an oil cooler

lol my bad. i just saw some small radiator looking thing near the intercooler and assumed it was an oil cooler :S

I could only check 1,2. its in the yard atm and im driving the work car.
    what would the gen3's set me back, and could it make more power?
    I have gotten used to this car pretty quickly. I;m not in perth until after chrissy- I may bring down my car (on a truck this time) and put into a non-retarded mechanics shop
    i was told to look at the coilpack lead.
    The only thing that is suspicious is that when the car is cold it starts no worries, once the actual body of the car and the ignition module gets hot- the car wont start!
    I'm trying to get a adaptor for that plug in the car- then i can check the computer.
    Miss my Ma61

It's for the power steering. From the factory, they have a u-shaped tube, but it's about as useful as...well...I'll let you use your imagination.

They're probably worth at most a few hundred bucks. You'll need the inlet piping for them too. As for power, Rod has made ~190rwkw with his, but then KirK made 195rwkw or something with his BAG's, so maybe yes, maybe no. You won't lose power, put it that way

There are 3 separate coilpacks. My advice would be to pull each lead off in turn, make sure each end is clean, including the spark plug well, and refit them. It'd be very surprising that too leads just stopped working, it's probably just not been refitted correctly when they changed the plugs.

As for the starting, it may actually just need a touch of tuning. When SAS tuned it, it was for the power and driveability stuff, they wouldn't have touched the starting and idle. Perhaps an hour on a dyno with an experienced tuner when all of the problems are sorted would be a good investment.

sounds like it!
    lets hope theres a place with a dyno up here.. that wont rip me off.
    Miss my Ma61

Junior Member Grease Monkey Maverick's Avatar

mate what sort of oil you running? canola or sunflower-seed oil?, I hear that latter is better for deep-frying.

I suggest you see the mad scientist, so he can rip apart the block and replace the piston rings you fried.

an insult and a fnf joke!
    wow that was.. interesting?
    Miss my Ma61