Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microtech wiring help: VVT and a/c

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Microtech wiring help: VVT and a/c

Hi All,

I am putting a 4age blacktop into my AE82 Corolla. All seems to have gone well so far. Now I have a few auxiliary wiring related questions.

What wire/s does the VVT need?

What wire/s does the A/C need?

I have left over:

Blue/red (Aux input +ive input)
    White (Aux output -ive output)
    White orange (Aux input 2 -ive output)

What do I need to wire up the a/c? Can I just tap into the wire leading from the loom into the compressor? Any better places? I will try and find it under the dash.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: Microtech wiring help: VVT and a/c

Quote Originally Posted by bobob
    Hi All,

I am putting a 4age blacktop into my AE82 Corolla. All seems to have gone well so far. Now I have a few auxiliary wiring related questions.

What wire/s does the VVT need?

What wire/s does the A/C need?

I have left over:

Blue/red (Aux input +ive input)
    White (Aux output -ive output)
    White orange (Aux input 2 -ive output)

What do I need to wire up the a/c? Can I just tap into the wire leading from the loom into the compressor? Any better places? I will try and find it under the dash.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
    Firstly, is your AE82 a twin cam or 4AC single cam/carbie? secondly which Microtech? ie MTX8, LTX12?? VVTi is triggered by the AUX output via a relay in one of my cars.As for the A/C in my AE82 B/T, which was a carbie single cam, we just spliced the Blacktops compressor hose, clutch power and fitted the twin cam idle up valve and a few other wires tell the ECU what to do, and worked fine (this was a factory ECU). Using the mircotech means you need to do the same minus the wiring to the ECU, this is how I did it on my hilux carb to EFI conversion back when the D4s was the lastest Microtech... that ran fine til someone killed the car.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny
    Firstly, is your AE82 a twin cam or 4AC single cam/carbie? secondly which Microtech? ie MTX8, LTX12?? VVTi is triggered by the AUX output via a relay in one of my cars.As for the A/C in my AE82 B/T, which was a carbie single cam, we just spliced the Blacktops compressor hose, clutch power and fitted the twin cam idle up valve and a few other wires tell the ECU what to do, and worked fine (this was a factory ECU). Using the mircotech means you need to do the same minus the wiring to the ECU, this is how I did it on my hilux carb to EFI conversion back when the D4s was the lastest Microtech... that ran fine til someone killed the car.
    Hi,

Thanks for the help.

The AE82 is a twincam.

Its a LT10s.

I am not sure which one of 3 remaining wires is for the signal to tell the VVT to not VVT from the ECU. I do not know if I wire both output wires to the solenoid or just one and switched ignition. Even if I used a relay, which wire from the ECU tells the relay to VVT?

The microtech is separately wired to the ICV, the way I understand that is so the ECU can control the idle up. I think that this means the a/c needs to be hooked into an +ive input on the LT10s, I think that when the microtech sees the compressor engage it then idles up. Which means that I need the +ive input for that one. But I may have just convinced myself of that as I really would like to solve this problem.

I really am confused about what wires the ECU needs for where. The input with a +ive input or the output with -ive output and finally the input 2 -ive output, its making me crazy!

Need be ill get the a/c working later as its off to the exhaust place tomorrow and the tuner after that.

Thanks again, this is the first time I have wired a car!

Sorry to hear about the Hilux, im gussing that was a while ago?

OK,

Have been thinking about it.

Blue/red (Aux input +ive input) goes to the a/c

White (Aux output -ive output) goes to the VVT which also needs IGN 12V. The ECU earths this when it decides the time is right

White orange (Aux input 2 -ive output) spare for something I dont have yet...

Thanks

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Put a relay on the VVT solenoid.
    I'm not sure how much current it will draw.
    If its too much, the ECU may shit itself.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Junior Member Domestic Engineer psychofox's Avatar

Yep Bobob you have it correct,The microtech will switch the earth so you need to run a 12V IGN to one side of the VVT solenoid and the aux output to the other side of it.

I wouldn't bother with the Relay, the VVT will draw bugger all current.
    Wollongong Sporting Car Club - Secretary
    Current Cars:
    2004 TW Magna VR-X AWD w/6G74 - Tow Car
    1989 AW11 MR2 w/4A-GE 20V - Track Car

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

as for the relay i'd use one just to be safe... you dont want to shit your ecu output.

and with the aircon... does your clutch on the a/c pulley have 2 wires? if so find out what polarity the switch wire is from the button on the dash... then split it, run one side to a relay that boosts its current to switch the clutch on (and use the oposite polarity on the other clutch coil wire) then with the other wire from where you split it, i'd hook up an idle up solenoid to that... as your microtech has no input wire to tell it you have turned the a/c on, so a separate idle up will have to be used.
    AE92 4AGTE SX HATCH---- 14.2 @ 99 MPH

OK,

So I understand the VVT now, thanks!

On the cooler side of things, the a/c compressor has 2 wires on it, fairly simple (I think). Could I not use the Blue/red (Aux input +ive input) to idle up? As otherwise I cant see that wire being used.

Also if anyone has as a bright idea as to what to use the final remaining wire that is labled White orange (Aux input 2 -ive output) for that would be great, water injection, inlet trumpet stepper motor to change inlet tract length or NOS. Tthese are all I can think of, any other crazy (might be added down the track) ideas?

i dont see why you'd waste an aux input when your only going to have to program an aux output to turn on when that input turns on to control the idle up anyway... therefore you've wasted an input and an output..

you can just as easily (if not easier) directly wire the a/c and idle up to the same switch (a/c switch)

your never going to have factory a/c compressor control with an a/m ecu anyway. unless its a motec or something...

Ummm, what did you just say?
    None of that made sense.
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS

makes perfect sence to me...

Quote Originally Posted by NVD05X
    i dont see why you'd waste an aux input when your only going to have to program an aux output to turn on when that input turns on to control the idle up anyway... therefore you've wasted an input and an output..
    You dont need to wire up an aux output, its all controlled internally.
    When the aux input 'turns on' you just tell the ecu to open the ISCV a little more, and add in a little more fuel
    you can just as easily (if not easier) directly wire the a/c and idle up to the same switch (a/c switch)
    This makes no sense
    iyour never going to have factory a/c compressor control with an a/m ecu anyway. unless its a motec or something...
    All the ecu does it opens the ISCV more, and add some fuel compensate.
    Its not MoTeC type science here.
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS

and what does the microtech use to open/control the iscv?

On my one its 2 dedicated PWM outputs.
    Peewee
    2013 86 GTS

what model microtech do you have? wouldnt you call a PWM output an aux output?

being that they can be used to control whatever kind of ac solenoid you wire them to?

bobob has stated that he only has 2 aux inputs and 1 aux output left... which are NOT PWM.