Thread: 4agze conversion

working hard Backyard Mechanic

Default 4agze conversion

Hey has anyone converted a 4agze afm into a map sensored ae101 spec ?.
    Why i ask is that mine was a afm 4agze ae92 , now its run by an ems setup, looking for more power, say if i get the smallport head aftermarket crank pulley and the smaller s/c pulley will it be performing like a stock map 4agze or is there more to it

i had it dynoed it only pulled 77.4kw with 10psi boost from a stock charger. Is that figure average for an afm 4agze ?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: 4agze conversion

I would have thought a stock GZE made more power than that at the wheels. Are you on a conservative tune or is it tuned poorly?

As for more power, the easiest thing to do is replace the S/C pulley. The Nevo ones are quite readily available, and cost about $150 from memory.

working hard Backyard Mechanic

it was a dyno tuned to get the car running for daily driver mode... the bigport afm ae92 are are 110kw stock so there nothing really special to begin with, and i was boosting 10 psi so engine is very healthy the tuner said , he goes the exhaust is maybe restricting 2 1/4 but i dunno why he dyno it without a cat in it...

i am looking into get a nevo crank pulley , but i wanna see if getting a stock smaller s/c pulley is worth it.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Hi Reece12.....

I know there was a guy here in perth who had a 4agze AFM (IE: AW11 SC) converted MR2. He ended up blowing the engine, and rather than rebuild it, he put a AE101 4agze engine with the AW11 AFM SC electronics, and I think he was boosting 12 or 14PSI. He was producing a little over 90Kw at the rear wheels, which I found impressive, compared to a 20v being dynoed at about 71kw at the rear wheels, and my stock 88 NA producing 58Kw at the rear wheels. The stock MR2 sw20 turbos were pulling about 80-90Kw at the rear wheels, just for comparison of the dyno.

But 77Kw at rear wheels for an SC 4agze AFM are not bad figures, as keep in mind that is the same as the AW11 4agze AFM setup, which has a 8.0:1 compression. The AE101 4agze is a 8.9:1 compression, plus various other little tweeks / differences.

Just my thoughts......

MIKE.