Thread: 4EFTE Coolant Temp Sensor Vs Microtech LT8

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 4EFTE Coolant Temp Sensor Vs Microtech LT8

Hi

I've got a GT Starlet and my coolant temp sensor is telling the Microtech that it's about 13ºc colder than what it is. I confirmed this today measuring the actual coolant temp and what the Microtech is saying. This is only a problem because the Microtech is enriching the fuel for cold start. Do I need to calibrate the Microtech with the sensor?

The temp gauge in my dash is reporting just under halfway. So I think that the sensor is okay. Any ideas? I've just tested another sensor and it does the same thing?

Thanks

Its hard being a Backyard Mechanic RT40Corona4AGTE's Avatar

Default Re: 4EFTE Coolant Temp Sensor Vs Microtech LT8

Different makes of vehicles (holden, ford, mazda, nissan, toyota, etc) have different temperature sensors (ie. they have different resistances and different temperatures). Unfortunately you cant calibrate the microtech to suit your given temperature sensor.

But you have two options.....

1. Re-adjust your cold start enrichment values to suit your given temperature readings.

OR

2. Give John at microtech a call and order a coolant temperature sensor that they sell. I know when I ordered an Intake temp sensor from them it was only like $40 and came with plug and split wiring loom to suit.

I also dont think tapping into the same sensor that you guage on your dash uses is a good idea either as the internal resistance of the guage itself will play a part in an incorrect reading.

I beleive the starlets have another place for a temp sensor that was used by the stock ECU. You could always unwind that out and use a microtech one in its place

Hope that helped.

Dan
    1967 RT40 Corona Current Project - http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46182

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: 4EFTE Coolant Temp Sensor Vs Microtech LT8

Thanks for the advice Dan. The previous owner left the standard ECU plugged in (not too sure why). Apparently to ECUs reading from the same sensor can cause problems, I'll investigate that avenue too.

Cheers
    Last edited by s-twig; 12-06-2008 at 07:39 AM.