Thread: Am I out of my depth? z21 7m-2jz

"it went up in a jiffy" Conversion King Kedderz's Avatar

Default Am I out of my depth? z21 7m-2jz

Backgroud, bought a 7m mz21 for a project whilst im here in the ACT and it was bought with a bhg. Ive since fixed this problem however the car obviously has some damage to the block as it still burns water (had head machined used arp bolts etc etc)
    The reason I chose this as car was its my first "big" mechanical work Ive done by myself so I really didnt want to go taking engines out as I dont have the tools nor the experience.

Since the 7m in the car is obviously rooted I am looking around for alternatives. High on the list is a 1J/2J conversion. My initial thoughts were I probably cant do this but I have lots of time on my hands. Biggest stumbling blocks for me is Ive never removed an engine and will have to do that twice(!) If i go the conversion and the wiring of which I will pay someone to do.

To be fair money currently isnt an object however a drivein-driveout solution at a work shop sounds great but I would much rather learn along the way.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    RA23 - Twincharged
    JZZ20 - Daily

I wouldn't trust a... Conversion King Smokey228's Avatar

Default Re: Am I out of my depth? z21 7m-2jz

Its not to dificult to remove and engine from a car and then place another one back in. But wiring, plumbing and anything that needs to be fabricated is when it gets dificult and expensive.

From what ive gathered, the 1jz is a pretty common swap for any 7m powered car. So i'd imagine it must be relatively straight forward!

If you keep it simple, it shouldnt be to hard with minimal experience. And there is vast amounts of information on 'how to' amounst the toymods forums. Plus there is always someone willing to help, either on here, or pysically...

I'd go the 1j, but be willing to run into problems and go without a car and money. But if money and time isnt an issue, go the 2j, no doubt it is more complicated and expensive, but it'd be way cooler

Cheers,
    Jase
    JZA023
    11.51 @ 126MPH | 430RWHP @ 21PSI

Quote Originally Posted by YLD-16L
    Cuzzo is such a premature ejaculator he fertilised the very egg that he grew from

The 1j definately is a well documented conversion. Hell I even had the mounts here from when i was considering doing a 1j from the get go ;-)
    The car is a pure project so I have my daily. It was to be just a cruiser hence stock 7m would of sufficed easily. Ultimate cruiser would be the 2j conversion.

I just dont know if I "know" enough to do it though!
    RA23 - Twincharged
    JZZ20 - Daily

Apparently I'm a Backyard Mechanic PULSE's Avatar

Personally, I think go for it! If you start doing heaps of research now, and as you go through the conversion, each part that you come to just jump on the net, check it out, and ask for advice. It might all seem difficult but once you learn everything I reckon you'll find it easy. Lots of things that I've done I didn't really know much beforehand, then once I've done it, I look back and think damn that wasn't anywhere near as complicated as I thought it would be. I've just started a 4AGE conversion, and I don't even have my license yet haha. And remember its always at least 70% easier the second time around Good luck!

I wouldn't trust a... Conversion King Smokey228's Avatar

Hell, i never knew anything before i pulled the gearbox out of my neighbours car and replaced the clutch. That is where it all started. From there, ive learnt heaps...

Hell, if i could weld, i beleive i could have done my whole engine conversion. Though i still couldnt have done wiring!

Toymods is a great source of information, and with the support available on here, i have no doubt that you'd be able to get through it...

CHeers,
    Jase
    JZA023
    11.51 @ 126MPH | 430RWHP @ 21PSI

Quote Originally Posted by YLD-16L
    Cuzzo is such a premature ejaculator he fertilised the very egg that he grew from

custom dont come in a box Domestic Engineer toymotorsport's Avatar

hey man if ur keen on 1j swap i knwo brendan is selling 1j front cut for $1500 had a dodgy autop box but has shift kit in it worth getting and picking up another box for few $$$$ ???

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey228
    Hell, i never knew anything before i pulled the gearbox out of my neighbours car and replaced the clutch. That is where it all started. From there, ive learnt heaps...

Hell, if i could weld, i beleive i could have done my whole engine conversion. Though i still couldnt have done wiring!

Toymods is a great source of information, and with the support available on here, i have no doubt that you'd be able to get through it...

CHeers,
    Jase
    i had never done any engine conversions or anything really with engines untill i got a 86 ford meteor wagon wagon in it years ago had a auto 92 model kh laser motor in it that was fucked i swaped it out for a nother 92 kh laser motor but manual tahts where it started for me no i think ive done about 4-5 conversion not and alot of the time u think its not wirth it untill u take the 1st test drive or some cases 3rd atempt at 1st test drive lol

aristo half cuts are low 2k these days. I would prefer to get a cut rather than a engine+box + ecu etc. at least that way i should have a runner and everything i should need.

you are all filling me with enthusiasm
    RA23 - Twincharged
    JZZ20 - Daily

well the front cut has everything but auto box is dammaged

but supose like u said be easyer top have it all on one lot and after freight could probly get fully front cut for not much more
    Last edited by toymotorsport; 21-05-2008 at 11:21 AM.