Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9age??

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Bazooka's Avatar

Default 9age??

I came across something the other day about a 9A engine. Apparently this is a 7A bored and stroked to nearly 2 Litres. Sounds awesome but was just wondering if anyone else has ever heard of this?

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: 9age??

how thick are the cylinder walls of the 7A? aren't they the same spacing as a 4A?

maybe just do a quick calc to see what bore and stroke would be required?
    4A is 81/77
    7A is 81/85.5

the wiki mythical 9A says
    A modified version of the 7a that brings the displacement up to or near 2.0L, done by further increasing the stroke and bore with either a custom crankshaft and/or adapting a 1ZZ or 2ZZ crankshaft using a 81mm 82mm or 83mm bore selection anything past 83mm will require the block to have pressed in liner sleeves. The method to reach 1990cc's is to have a 83mm bore with the 1zzfe 91.5mm stroke, both the 1zzfe and the 7afe crankshafts share the same main journal diameter and have almost identical bore spacing ,2zzge rods are almost perfect rods to used in conjuction with ca18det pistons this is a proven low budget stoker option with very little machine work.
    and wiki is never wrong or edited by ppl with little idea

but sure it might be good. for a stroker or turbo motor
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Party Animal Supreme Too Much Toyota MR 1JZ's Avatar

good old wikipedia

the biggest can of lies on the internet since loosechange911

lol
    Project Soarer II - Sold
    Evo 5 - The silver fruitbox
    "I'm the man who has the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than f**k. So that is why i am better than everyone in the world. Kiss my ass and suck my dick... everyone."

That's me before i was a Conversion King -GT-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    have almost identical bore spacing ,2zzge rods are almost perfect rods to use
    Meh, details, it's not like it's rocket surgery.
    AE93 SX 20V - Next Wakefield track day is 13th of November 2015!
    1:15.47 at Wakefield Park | 1:59.45 at Eastern Creek GP | 1:08.81 at SMP South | 2:04.77 at Phillip Island
    Toymods Club Member

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

I love how they say almost this and almost than, then say a 1ZZ or 2ZZ crank (which are different, aren't they? 1ZZ and 2ZZ have different bore and stroke), 2ZZ rods and CA pistons, yet it's a "proven" (I've never seen nor heard of it) "low-budget" (my arse it is. Nothing is low budget once you need to do so much work on the bottom end) "stocker" (almost nothing stock left about it) with "very little machine work" (apart from offset boring the block so the crank lines up, and all the other work required)
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

1ZZ or 2ZZ cranks hey? That works how?
    1ZZ and 2ZZ have a different stroke length... I call shenanigans!
    Past Toyotas - Snow White (TA23), Blue Stivo (ZZE123)
    Current Toyotas - Hamster (AW11)
    Quote Originally Posted by X kyle X View Post
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

i though the increase in capacity was the different height of the blocks.

id assume the engine would be very similar to the 4age in strength. Are they 7rib style?
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

1ZZ/2ZZ = different bore and stroke.

height of block only affect length of rod.. or potential for onger stroke...

while the wiki thing might be heresay, stranger combination shave been made (or potentially..)
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

i meant 4age to 7age but if they same applies ok...
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

the increase in capacity is due to stroke.
    the higher deck height just measn that can put the same size rods, with the longer stroke...

Backyard Fabricator Automotive Encyclopaedia

1900cc 7A is done by these guys: http://www.speedracersportscars.com.au/stroker.htm

Olde mechanic Carport Converter oldeskewltoy's Avatar

would someone explain to me what the advantage is of DUMPING $$$$$$ (or chose your currency) into an A block? You need 2 liters?? a 3SGE is quite a nice engine. prefer a bit more low end... stroke it... but taking an engine that at its smallest was 1295cc (2A SOHC) and increasing the volume by over 50%... just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.........
    Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

SC14 7AGZE Grease Monkey

I have the most respect for alot of members in this thread because of their knowledge and contribution to this community, but for whatever reason I feel like some of you are "hating" on this concept instead of cheering it on and encouraging innovation. If it fits in, then great find. If not, well thanks for the attempt. Thats the way I look at it.

Anyhow, it just so happens I have a 7A block, 7A crank, and 1ZZ crank all lying around my shop. So its time for a comparison. Here we go:

1ZZFE crankshaft VS. 7AFE crankshaft

1ZZFE crankshaft in 7A Block - Side View

1ZZFE crankshaft in 7A Block - Top View

These are with my camera phone, so sorry for the quality. But to sum up my opinion... I think it will fit, as long as you shave the sides of the block walls, as it seems the counterweights are slightly thicker and wont allow it to seat into the main bore. Thats the only "machining" I can see having to be done, out of my brief comparison. I havent measured, but the bore spacing is pretty much exact.

It should all fit as stated in the wikipedia article, the only things that would have to be custom would be a flywheel and clutch, as well as timing gear and crank pulley. But this all beats the $2500 or more you would spend on a custom stroker kit. I wouldn't do it, but there no need to be a "hater" and look down on the idea. I'd guess to say it the custom parts needed could very well be made for $1000 or under given your resources.
    SC14 7AGZE build: http://beasted86.webs.com/

nice, 1zz crank 2zz rods, 7a block, 20 valve head, dirty big snail.
    someone do it .
    ST205 Group A Rallye GT-Four 307kw atw @23 psi on 98oct, Now on E85.

1973 TA22

That's me before i was a Conversion King -GT-'s Avatar

Hey, nice work! As potentially one of the 'haters', i'd just like to clarify my 'hate' was directed at Wiki and the quality of it's information, not anybody who went out and tried to see if this would work! That article was clearly not written by somebody who had tried it, and i certainly wouldn't start buying bits based on it.

Your info on teh other hand, is really quite constructive... Can anybody give an answer to the earlier question raised on the relative strength of the 7A block to the late 4A? I know there's more than a couple 7A turbos getting about these days, what sort of power are they holding in with stock blocks?
    AE93 SX 20V - Next Wakefield track day is 13th of November 2015!
    1:15.47 at Wakefield Park | 1:59.45 at Eastern Creek GP | 1:08.81 at SMP South | 2:04.77 at Phillip Island
    Toymods Club Member