Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ultra Small & light weight RWD idea.

Toymods Club Member Conversion King big_zop's Avatar

Default Re: Ultra Small & light weight RWD idea.

How about a kei car? They are <1.4m wide and <3.3m long and with <660cc engine.

If you dont mind a convertable, then how about a Suzuki Cappuccino? A FR roadster and weighs in at about 700kg which could be reduced as it has a fair bit of trim. Motor is a 47kW 657cc 3cyl DOHC turbo motor and the only reference i could find with fuel consumption stated about 5-5.5L/100km. It only has a 30L tank so if you change the motor that could be a problem. I have a Zoom artlice where one has 100 or 150kW at the wheels (cant remember which one)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Cappuccino

Probably better looking (esp with gull wing doors) and doesnt come with the hairdresser tag associated with a convertable is the Autozam AZ-1. Same engine but MR! However it is 720kg so that might hinder its performance a little A little rarer too with about 4400 being sold compared to 28000 for the Cappuccino.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autozam_AZ-1

Both a far newer (AZ-1 92-94 and Capp 91-97) with decent suspension design, aerodynamics and 4 wheel discs standard.

Low Down Style Domestic Engineer Johnzoku's Avatar

There both pretty rad cars, id take a Suzuki Cappuccino but it defeats the purpose in this project which is to build and not buy. in this class theres also the honda beat http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Beat, theres also the diahatsu copen but im pretty sure its FF rather than FR http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daihatsu_Copen

Quote Originally Posted by Joshstix
    Don't forget one of the main things that influences steady state fuel economy is airo drag. Getting the car with the lowest possible Cd and running tyres with minimal rolling resistance is a big part of getting maximum fuel economy.
    does this mean driving a tyre with less grip or just getting a higher cost tyre thats been designed to take that into account?

Quote Originally Posted by chris davey
    suzuki carry, 20v. Come in ute or van. Easy to fit a bike or 3 in the back

I personally would love one with a pp 13b in there but not legal for the road and doesn't really fit your fuel economy goals
    if i was to go the way of kai cars it would def. be an alto works... maybe even RSR 4wd 700kg odd (theres one on ebay atm for 4200)

regular fella Conversion King chris davey's Avatar

4wd is pointless I reckon. just extra weight. They make em 4wd so Japanese people can use them in the snow. Seems like every person in Hakuba has some sort of minivan/ute so they basically get thrown out over here
    Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    that interior is so jap...just looking at it makes me want to kill a whale
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

Put it this way people making low rolling resistance tyres are not trying to make a performance tyre and people making a performance tyre are not really worried about rolling resistance.

yeah, the reasion why most of the bigger cars come in 4WD as well i guess, like the aristo 4.0 4wd the r32, r33 gts4's

the FF version (RS-X) is around 500kg and apperently much faster (i can see why) but ive heard of someone in australia pulling the front drive shafts out of the RSR and driving it as a RWD... that would be spectacular!

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

Get an AZ1.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

there is a cappucino at my work with recaro, roll cage, gauges and a few battle marks.. i think i saw it at a motorkhana a while back also....

apart from instant death when you hit a commodore that is 3 times it's weight.. they might be a good thing.
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joshstix
    Get an AZ1.
    Agreed. There used to be one owned by one of the hoteliers in Hindley Street (Adelaide) and was parked out the front every weekend. I'd drool over it every time I use to pass by it, when I was fully tanked it was even worse... It was a red and blake 2 tone, looked real dirty, but the 80s wedgedness of it was undeniable.

If you want something truely individual... get an AZ-1
    Past Toyotas - Snow White (TA23), Blue Stivo (ZZE123)
    Current Toyotas - Hamster (AW11)
    Quote Originally Posted by X kyle X View Post
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

Olde mechanic Carport Converter oldeskewltoy's Avatar

Hmmmm, all those cars are bricks! Why not look for an old TVR???

Slip the old 1.6 pushrod engine out... slip in a complete rwd 4age and T50. Here is the wiring diagram to splice in the electronics...

a mild tune... run a deep O/D or run a final of 3.7 or higher.......

just a brainfart
    Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

Junior Member Domestic Engineer NeoNasty's Avatar

KE30 2 door. 5K engine. 5 Speed Manual.

Should hoon OK, and still be pretty economical. Plus it'll look the shit!

Edit: Gemini? There cheap as all hell, theres plenty of bits around. My mate had one with a 2 liter rodeo engine in it when I was at TAFE, it was damn quick and the engine was torquey as all hell.
    HZJ75, RS41, JZZ30

Forum Member

Hi there, have you put pen to paper yet to eveluate the costs involved in a build up of an old car like you have mentioned above. Ground up rebuilds tend to blow out as you say to yourself, may as well do that while she's apart and before you know it the budget has gone out the window.
    MY THOUGHTS
    Have you considered a sprinter, (heavier i know) less of an issue with regards to body rust, 4 wheel disc drakes no problem. 4agze 4agte easily fitted, purchace of coilovers from a jap importer shouldn't be to hard. In my opinion this is the direction to go.
    Not everyone has the same ideas. Do the sums and way up the pro's and cons.
    Good luck.

this is a long build and my budget is around 10k, i have had a sprinter before and there is massive tax on them in australia (rare takumi drifto tax) making them more expensive to build. i was looking for a front quater panel and some places were quoting me 250 for one!!! i got a soarer for that price :O. the australian sprinter comes with disks front, drum rear, to fit an lsd you need a t serise diff, which can go for 200 - 1000 for jdm rear end. so for me to get another sprinter, 4age it, t serise rear end and suspension the costs would probley end up around the same costs and would be about 200kg heaver in the end.

no TVR's in australia that i know of.