Thread: 3sge swap to a 3sgte 88 gts celica

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 3sge swap to a 3sgte 88 gts celica

My jdm 3sge did not last 30,000. So I have decided to do another swap. I'ed like to put a 3sgte in my gts celica. Make it a half track. As far as I know these motors only came in the altrack?! What I am looking for is information on how to do this swap. Is there any one that can help me out? My celica is a 88 model gts auto. I would like to go with a standard transmittion. This would be completely new to me so I would need all the instruction I can get. From the first bolt to the last bolt. What I would have to change,axles,what trans. what clutch and plate to use, every thing. So if it's possible plese let me know so I can start to get it all to gether for spring is almost here and I want to get started as soon as the wheather breaks hear in ohio. I've done the search on the web but as of tonight no one has done a 3sge swap to a 3sgte and has let me know about it. If anyone knows of a site that has that infromation would you plese send it to me,thanks...buffalohunter7321

Fear the Rapeodile Carport Converter blakeg's Avatar

Default Re: 3sge swap to a 3sgte 88 gts celica

its bolt up, your current trans or any fwd celica one will bolt up to the gte .

has been done many times...
    do a search for GT2 on here as alltracks are called GT4's

I have been trying to do a search for gt2 but have come up not being able to get it done. Can you help me out and direct me in doing a search on this site? I'am not to good with computer's and only type with one finger and one letter at a time. Many thanks to you...buffalohunter7321

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

it's easy done, been done many times before too!

Basically a bolt up conversion, but a few things to note;

Gearbox needs to have starter in the outboard position, so will need to be an s54 from a 3sfe celica or 3sfe/5sfe camry

Use a flywheel from an sv21 camry so the ring gear matches up with the gearbox, standard st162 clutch will bolt up to this (a heavy duty pressure plate would be recommended though)

Engine wise, you have to use all the original mounts from the st162 and swap brackets over on the block if you're using a gen 3 3sgte

A/C thermo fan needs to be removed, replaced with a "push" fan (mounts in front of the radiator, available from 3sfe engined st162's.

There will be wiring that needs modifying

Driveshafts remain the same, however you will need to remove one of the inlet manifold braces from the 3sgte to bolt the driveshaft carrier to the engine block

I don't think there's any write ups that cover first bolt to last bolt, but if you can get someone to help you who is good with this sorta thing all the info I've given you will get you the motor bolted in the car awaiting wiring
    I am the sun

If I go with my automatic tranny will it hold up to the extra horse power of the 3sgte when I build it to over 300hp?

Junior Member Carport Converter Dale's Avatar

Unlikely? Not sure why'd you'd opt for auto in such a conversion anyway...
    I am the sun