Thread: 3sgte Custom Plenum and Water Piping Q's (Also Microtech)

Junior Member Grease Monkey medwin46's Avatar

Default 3sgte Custom Plenum and Water Piping Q's (Also Microtech)

Hey all

Well im nearing completion of my custom fab stuff, and there's a couple of things i want to ask about.

Intake Plenum: I have custom fabbed up the WHOLE plenum, runners and all. Now obviously im going to need a few sensors and outlets from this plenum, the ones i know i'll need are the MAP Sensor, Inlet Temp Sensor and obviously an outlet for the brake booster.

Is the MAP Sensor and Inlet Temp Sensor a combined unit (Gen2 3sgte), a fitting that has 2 bolts holding it into the standard plenum, and the MAP pressure line a banjo bolt into this? This MAP Sensor line will run directly into my MicroTech, so will i need another to run to my eBoost2 (boost controller/guage) or can i run a T-piece from the line running to my ECU? These all need to be on the engine side of the throttle body, because that will be a tru reading of boost/vacuum levels yeah? Does the brake booster line also need to be on this side of the throttle body, im thinknig yes because that was it will have a greater amount of vacuum when it is available of course. Are there any other either electronic sensors or pressure sensors that need to go into the plenum/inlet manifold?

Water Piping: I have custom fabbed up a stainless water line to direct the water from the rear of the motor up along the inlet side under the plenum. On the standard water outlet there are about 3 electronic sensors. What are each of these (yes i have a engine manual but i seem to have lost it.... lol) and which ones are going to be needed. Im not running a heater of any sort, so im assuming only a water temp sensor to run to the Microtech.

Also, the knock sensor at the back of the head (im assuming its a knock sensor) is it the knock sensor?!? lol. Ant the sender in the inlet side of the block just below the inlet plenum, what is it?! Obviously if i had my engine manual it'd be easy to find these things but i dont!

If anyone out there has had experience with the Microtech LT10s and knows exactly what sensors are needed in these 2 areas (or any others) please let me know what you know!!

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

Default Re: 3sgte Custom Plenum and Water Piping Q's (Also Microtech)

Quote Originally Posted by medwin46
    Hey all

Well im nearing completion of my custom fab stuff, and there's a couple of things i want to ask about.

Intake Plenum: I have custom fabbed up the WHOLE plenum, runners and all. Now obviously im going to need a few sensors and outlets from this plenum, the ones i know i'll need are the MAP Sensor, Inlet Temp Sensor and obviously an outlet for the brake booster.

Is the MAP Sensor and Inlet Temp Sensor a combined unit (Gen2 3sgte), a fitting that has 2 bolts holding it into the standard plenum, and the MAP pressure line a banjo bolt into thisNO THATS THE COLD START INJECTOR? This MAP Sensor line will run directly into my MicroTech, so will i need another to run to my eBoost2 (boost controller/guage) or can i run a T-piece from the line running to my ECU? These all need to be on the engine side of the throttle body, because that will be a tru reading of boost/vacuum levels yeah? Does the brake booster line also need to be on this side of the throttle bodyYES, im thinknig yes because that was it will have a greater amount of vacuum when it is available of course. Are there any other either electronic sensors or pressure sensors that need to go into the plenum/inlet manifold?
    use 1 fitting for each line to achieve best results ie no T pieces

Water Piping: I have custom fabbed up a stainless water line to direct the water from the rear of the motor up along the inlet side under the plenum. On the standard water outlet there are about 3 electronic sensors. What are each of these (yes i have a engine manual but i seem to have lost it.... lol) and which ones are going to be needed. Im not running a heater of any sort, so im assuming only a water temp sensor to run to the Microtechcorrect use a delco sensor from any holden it should have a calibration table to suit (check with microwreck first).

Also, the knock sensor at the back of the head (im assuming its a knock sensor) is it the knock sensorOIL PRESSURE SENDER?!? lol. Ant the sender in the inlet side of the block just below the inlet plenum, what is itKNOCK SENSOR?! Obviously if i had my engine manual it'd be easy to find these things but i dont!

If anyone out there has had experience with the Microtech LT10s and knows exactly what sensors are needed in these 2 areas (or any others) please let me know what you know!!CAS, watertemp in the outlet at the back of the head, airtemp on the cooler piping and a MAP line off the plenum and its job done
    cheers
    linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

F*^k i was a long way off with my quick guesses lol. A few more q's regarding your replies.

The cold start injector, should i use it with the microtech? If so, where should it be fitted in the plenum?

Ok so i've got the CAS sorted, a watertemp sensor needs to be fitted to my water piping and that is it, air temp on the cooler piping or the plenum? Where is the Air Temp sensor on the standard plenum and is it compatiable with the Microtech? MAP line from plenum to ECU, and another to the eBoost this one also from the plenum to tell true boost/vacuum? Or is it better to go on the cooler piping for this? Obviously after the cooler to allow for small drop going through cooler. Thanks for your help Linden

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

dont bother with the coldstart setup just use the fitting in the rail for a guage or block it off.

air temp on the cooler pipe just b4 the TB to stop it measuring heatsoak. delco one is good(but check with microtech that the correct cal file is in your ecu or jon).

eboost to the plenum if you want to use it as a guage.

cheers
    linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

The stock Air Temp sensor is in the afm

Negative Reputation Domestic Engineer Howieau's Avatar

I have a delco water temp sensor as road runner describes. I didnt use it though as you need a different plug for it, which shouldnt be too hard to get - im just lazy, so I used a ST165 3SGTE water temp sensor which fit the plug on my loom.

In relation to your to cold start injector; the fuel rail has a fuel feed point at one end, cold start injector feed in the middle, and fuel return at the other end. What you can do hook your fuel feed up as normal, hook your fuel return up as another fuel feed, and hook your cold start injector as fuel return. I have heard of 3SGTE's leaning out at the 4th cylinder with the standard setup with higher than stock power due the the rail setup (somehow the 4th cylinder not getting as much fuel as the others closer to where the feed line is connected - this is what I vaguely remember hearing, so do a bit of research, or maybe someone here can verify).

If you want any pictures of the water outlet off of the head with all the sensors/senders, and/or pictures of the cold start setup on the std intake manifold, let me know. Most of the crap on the water outlet gets blocked off anyway. Here is a pic from an MR2 3sgte which may help

And with the blockoffs.
    "There is a better way to do it, find it" -Thomas Edison

Quote Originally Posted by 3sfe
    The stock Air Temp sensor is in the afm
    Anyone got an image of this, was trying to find it last night but no luck... damn i wish i had my manual!!!

Ok, so i've got brand new Delso Air Temp and Water Temp Sensors on way from Haltech, complete with plugs pins etc. Should do the job yeah yeah?!?

Also reading up on the Turbosmart eBoost install guide Linden, says must source boost from a continuous boost source, ie. NOT intake manifold?! So its gotta be sources from my IC piping also.

Also found a few other things need vacuum/boost supply, fuel pressure reg, blow off valve both need a supply from the plenum. So going to get a few barb fittings tonight to thread into the plunum. And IC piping, water piping etc.

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Medwin... the eboost needs to know how much boost is coming from the turbo... so it can open the wastegate to stop overpressurising of the intercooker. There quite possibly is a boost fitting on the compressor housing of your turbo (looks like a vacuum fitting) otherwise just put a barb in one of your intake pipes. If your running a BOV, then put it in after the BOV, or you can circumvent any anti-lag effect the BOV may have.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Grease Monkey Cruiser97_80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by medwin46
    Anyone got an image of this, was trying to find it last night but no luck... damn i wish i had my manual!!!
    It is part of the AirFlowMeter. (Gen 2 3SGTE)
    1990 ST185 GT4 3SGTE
    1991 ST184 SX 3SGTE
    1991 SW20 GT 3SGTE
    1998 ST215 GTT 3SGTE
    2008 VDJ200 Sahara

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

The AFM is the box that you removed and discarded as the MAP sensor takes its place. You will need to tap an air temp sensor into a pipe/manifold somewhere.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Thanks guys, i've got haltech water and air temp sensors coming, the air temp and eBoost sensors going in the IC piping after the BOV, the other vacuum/boost outlets in the manifold. Think its sorted!

Just digging up my old thread, im thinking about the lines i have running off the Plenum, the brake booster obviously has a 1 way valve in it, but should also the FPR and blow off valve have 1 way valves so they only receive vacuum?? Im thinking not for the blow off valve as i imagine the boost acts as a 'holder' for the valve, then the vacuum assists in it opening?! But the FPR, im a bit stuck on?! Guess i should dig deeper in the fitting instructions of both hey?!?

Experience shows I'm no Chief Engine Builder Roundy's Avatar

both FPR and blow-off valve should recieve boost.
    "If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?"
    My ST185 with 278awkw (2.2L is running...)
    1:08.08s @ Wakefield 1:37.29s @ Winton
    27.90s @ Esses Hillclimb

Talking Re: 3sgte Custom Plenum and Water Piping Q's (Also Microtech)

Quote Originally Posted by Roundy
    both FPR and blow-off valve should recieve boost.
    YESSSSSSSS I've done it right hehe

Thanks mate!