Thread: T-18 running gear into TA22??

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default T-18 running gear into TA22??

Hey guys,

Im looking to upgrade my celica, i know the 3T engine fits no problems into it, however, im wondering about the brakes, as they are big drums at the back, and larger discs at the front. Also things like the seats and the pedal box, as my car is currently Auto, and i want the five speed, I do have a few 5 speeds out of other 22's but im just thinking it would be easier just placing the whole running gear into mine. Any help on this would be great, as i have the T-18 just seating there.

Cheers Ben

Junior Member Grease Monkey styler's Avatar

Default Re: T-18 running gear into TA22??

lol why not just use the whole t-18 as a car rather than spend months and wads of cash trying to make everything fit into the sillycar?

Junior Member Grease Monkey styler's Avatar

also ta22 and t-18 gearboxes are different, as in shifter housings and possibly clutch fork piviots.

this is an interesting concept, interested in what you come up with mate, if its all sitting there make some measurements.

+ rep if ya do.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by styler
    lol why not just use the whole t-18 as a car rather than spend months and wads of cash trying to make everything fit into the sillycar?

The 22 has style mate. T-18 has nothing. Im getting onto it, got the engine out, getting it all worked this week, and hopefully next week will have everything and trying to fit it into the TA22.

Cheers Ben

Ohh and not to mention the amount of rust that comes through in those things, my T-18 is no different, the only thing good about it is the interior. the engine is alright, but in need of a rebuild, considering it has traveled over 500000ks. From what i have been told at least.

Forum Member Grease Monkey

just a query, is the t-18 diff the same as a ta22?? Same axles??

I need a set of axles, and i found a t-18....
    Thanks
    Blake

toyota-less Carport Converter skiddz's Avatar

t18 gear box is the same with exception to the clutch fork, shifter housings (from what i have seen) are the same

the front struts are the same as an ae86 so will go in no worries, i wouldnt bother with those struts, just go the rona pug lux upgrade

diff is the same centre and axles, just remove the t18 drums and fit to the 22 diff

you will also need a ta22 pedal box unsure if a t18 will fit
    2T out 4A in....

4A out 3VZ in. 3vzfe rebuild, RWD-ising, and conversion for ta22

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

I'm not 100% in this area, though I'd like some more backup for the points you made above Skiddz.

I thought that the T50 from a T18 had the longer shifter housing, whereas the TA22 had the shorter. Also the T18 T50 may have 22 output shaft splines (later ones do). Both these issues *may* be overcome with the front section of the T18 tail shaft.

Also, I was under the impression that TA22s had a narrower track than a T18 (thinking about it now, the axles are around 20mm shorter, so I'd be confident of that). They definitely run a smaller wheel bearing. Centres are intercahngeable.

So I'd say the engine can go in, maybe the box with some messing around. The diff may (from what I hear the panhard rod will cause issues, and the spring perches are different). But in any case, sell the T18 diff to a Sprinter fanboy and then buy a cheap TA22 (or even better RA28 for the bigger wheel bearings) one and enjoy the profit.

All the above is not 100%. Just what I've seen from my T18 days and a friend's TA22.

Hen
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

toyota-less Carport Converter skiddz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hen
    I'm not 100% in this area, though I'd like some more backup for the points you made above Skiddz.

I thought that the T50 from a T18 had the longer shifter housing, whereas the TA22 had the shorter. Also the T18 T50 may have 22 output shaft splines (later ones do). Both these issues *may* be overcome with the front section of the T18 tail shaft.
    from what i understand this is not the case, i inquired about this a while ago and from the response i received it seemed that the box's output splines were the early 20 spline box and not the latter 22 spline the only t50's (AFIAK) with the 22 spline were in the ae71 and ae86
    2T out 4A in....

4A out 3VZ in. 3vzfe rebuild, RWD-ising, and conversion for ta22