Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In the Beginning - Toymods History

One of the originals 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: In the Beginning - Toymods History

Good evening Mr Try

Im good mate! We have been on the road for just under 2.5 years now, loving every minute of what we are doing. Havent had reliable/if any net access in that time (bit hard to get in most parts of the country). We are currently in Mandurah, just south of perth. MAY be back in Sydney mid year to kick our tennants out and renovate the house, then back on the road again..........Sydney sucks the wang, never living back there.

Hows the family goin?
    Phill
    1995 DX 80 series, brought to you by:- 1HDFTE, A750F, Secret Squirrel Steinbauer, PWR, ARB, BFG, Engel, Aerotech, GME, Kaymar, empty wallet, wife who's over it and Total care 4wd

Junior Member Grease Monkey ira11y's Avatar

Toymods started for me after first being chased down then racing (with the wife screaming at me to slow down from the cheap seat) along the then brand new M2 motorway at about 10 one night. At that point I still had the red sprinter and it was none other than the club founder Mr Sheerman. We stopped after the tunnel and Luke told me about the club and I said I had been thinking of something similar having found not much in Sydney after moving over from the promised land (UnZed).

Not long after that the original email went around for the first get together, unfortunately I did not make that one but did get to the next meeting, well really it was a get everybody together to change Luke's diff in the garage again event

At some point in there I also met up with Mr Sherwood after purchasing some parts off him, I think not long after that he got a gig flying overseas for a bit which is why he was a bit scarce.

After Mos set up the email account there were many long winded and sometimes heated discussions on various setups with Toyota's and eventually the forums came along which bought its own form of both pain and pleasure. The club grew very quickly after that and of the original members the debate started about where we wanted to be headed and what we wanted to become. Some wanted the club to remain informal as it was, just a group of blokes getting together talking cars and b***^^it and occasionally disturbing the peace. Others wanted to become a formal club and hold events and then a smaller number really wanted to make it a drivers type club and become CAMS affiliated.

It was often a very heated debate at Darren's home where the pros and cons were discussed, at times more aggressively than others, of each possibility and in the end the club was incorporated and became what it is today.When I look back on those times I remember how it became all so political, we were all so determined to get what we wanted for ourselves out of the club (myself included) and unfortunately this whole process left some people wondering if it was worth all the hassle. As a result some good people drifted away from the club. I have to really thank Darren and his family for providing a place to have those debates during that time. Im sure his wife must have given him some stern talking to's after we all left each night

Once the political stuff was out of the way the club surged foward, forums grew at an astronomical rate and so did the forum arguments, moderators were installed to calm it all down a bit, there were more events including the starting of the official Dyno days. We had some great cruises. One in particular I recall ended with two cars that had separated themselves from the main group ( some say deliberately ) on an Old Pac Hwy run and surged on ahead only for the rest of the cruise to catch up a several kms down the road and pass by as Mr plod gave both of them a stern talking to

At another the Galston Gorge was well and truly lined up with a few cars doing a late night pass.It lasted about 5 corners before a certain gay sprinter wanted to kiss a wall after loosing traction as it was air born over the breaking point. A quick turn around and a lot of sparks flying off the heavily damaged rim and front sill on the way out of the gorge with no steering before our favorite boys in blue rocked up.I think that may have been the end of that particular cars dubious history wasn't it Rod?

Anyway they were some of the interesting moments in the history of the club.

There were a lot of people on the way that helped make up the spirit of the club, so many different backgrounds made for some wonderful conversations. In particular at various cutovers and conversions Rod and I had no end of fun winding up poor Mos over some silly little technicality until he got too angry with us to continue talking... sorry Mos but we did have fun and no one could do up a bolt like you.. MosTight . A few of the others that deserve a mention would be Joseph Moore, Oldcorollas, The Witzl, Sprinter Steve (go the gay sprinter!), Scrote (saw you on the M2 a week or so ago still in the Cressi!), Dave with the turbo GZE Seca, Yogi and the jolly green celica that stunned all at the first Dubbo event.

these guys may not have made up the original crew but more than contributed to making the club what it is today.

I haven't had much to do with the club over the last few years, kids and a career sorta stopped all the fun there for a while but its good to see that its still running and people still enjoy modding and getting together which is what the club is all about.

Cheers

ira11y

Michael Seymour
    Cheers Michael
    Opinions are like assholes, everybodys got one.

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Interesting.... got any King Mick stories?

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Junior Member Too Much Toyota GUN METAL's Avatar

this is a great read, never seen this thread before, i love a bit of history !

great to see an adub in the first pic.

Bit of confusion tho oldcorollas thinks the adub is Rob of GZE fame but Rod has car 6 (the adub) as Darren Cowley ?

I knew a Robin San, from the MR2 club he went through the various mods he did on his red adub before he put the GZE in there. I remember him doing small changes on it then we would go for a drive and see how, different sway bars, wheel alignment, cams , tyres etc improved the car. I got the shock of my life when we went for the first time after he had put in the GZE with the LSD..............IT WAS AWESOME !!!!
    MY BELOVED AW11...Updated members ride thread>>>>http://www.toymods.net//forums/showt...=4584#post4584

AW11s always welcome in my driveway !

how much is Too Much Toyota JustenGT8's Avatar

Jeez i met some of these guys (and a few others) on Aus.cars back in the early 90's...then the same culprits on the Old Celicas mailing list. A couple became good mates even though it was years before i even met them...the interweb is a weird place
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

hopefully we can keep making "toymods history" for many years to come

must say the club has definately come a long way from its beginnings
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Scott,

Darren Cowling was member number 6, not car 6 in the pic And OC was actually there, I was not around yet.

First Phil and Now Irally, Talk about some old faces popping in .

As for Irally's account of a certain Old Pac run involving Mr Plod....... The car at the back was only keeping up with the car in front of it And your right, there was and still is nothing Tighter than Mos tight.

Michael, If you find work and family life affording you some spare time you should pop in.
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

thanks, so just to clarify car 6, the red Red Adub is robin San ?

Anyone know of his wherabouts now ?

would like to get back i touch with him, really helpful guy.
    MY BELOVED AW11...Updated members ride thread>>>>http://www.toymods.net//forums/showt...=4584#post4584

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

tbh i can't remember now... my memory is getting old ..
    i wish i had saved Robs pages about all the different cam combinations on the GZE.
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

sounds like Rob, he had tried bucket loads of different cams in the 4A both NS and GZE.

if i recall his brother was also into cars, had a Mazda Luce IIRC, then they both got into nissans, his brother in an early skyline, robin may have had a leter one ?

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, let be do some hunting.

i do know robin was pretty good behind the wheel, remember do some hill climbs and Motorkhanas, he could do great hand brake turns and flick spins in the adub, actually he did get into the drifto i think..................

dead links everywhere.................you are right i should have saved them as well, actually i think i may have printed some of it out.......bless the work photocopier .....anything particular you want ?The only thing i could find were some posts from the MR2 Digest circa 1997, that would have been around the time he did the conversion me thinks

Must have been just after, having read this:

Date: Tue, 01 Jul 1997 01:32:06 +1100
    Subject: MR2 MK1: SC vs NA differences

Hi all

Is a SC MK1 just a 89 NA MK1 with a 4AGZE engine and transaxel in it?
    Apart from cosmetic differences, are there any differences in the
    brakes, brake booster, clutch master cylinder, cooling system etc.....

I was wondering about doing a SC transplant into my NA MK1 and if I was
    going to missout on any upgrades that may have been made to the factory
    SC MK1 and not to the 89 NA MK1. Ive already got konis and springs, so
    are there any suspension differences, like different struts or arms, I
    have a rear sway bar already.

What I was worried about is that with 1.5x the power is the NA brake
    system going to be up to the job of stopping the car, do the SCs have
    the same single piston, sliding caliper and rotor size as the NA?. I
    know the Vtec CRXs run bigger brakes to the non Vtec CRXs also have
    longer engine bays too, its not the same body shell, but thats a
    different story....

Any help appreciated Thanks
    Robin
    89 MK1 NA

Robin San wrote:
    >
    > Hi guys
    >
    > Ive finally found my SC gearbox with LSD to put into my 89 MK1 NA. The
    > deal was for Aus$800 I would get the box, drive shafts, flywheel if I
    > needed one and no mounting brackets. Clutch will probably be a rebuilt
    > SC clutch, later down the track.

Yes, you'll need the clutch. If you change gearboxes, you'll need *everything* from
    the flywheel to the driveshafts. Don't forget the shift linkages and speedo cable.

> Can I confirm, how do I tell if the box has a LSD, I did the, stick 2
    > drive shafts into it and turn thing. I remember there was a way to tell
    > if the box had a LSD by the GB number....where is this number found?

If you have access to the original VIN plate (front trunk), such as if the car body
    is still in the yard, ask for the axle (*NOT* tranny) code. Should be something
    like 73x or 74x. If the last digit is odd the tranny is LSD, if the last digit is
    even the tranny is non-LSD.

> Is there anything else I should consider before starting to to put the
    > box in. Should I rebuild the box before putting it in, maybe new
    > syncros, bearings etc.... how much would that cost?

A lot.

> Also does anyone know what the final drive ratio of the SC E51 is? what
    > is the final drive of the C52 NA box? I was told the E51 had a taller
    > final drive but not that much taller. If I wanted to lower the final
    > drive ratio where could I get a crown pinion from, any other toyota
    > models? This is the same gearbox as the NA MK2 right? I might be able to
    > get it off a MK2 race car if thats the case.

Go to Matti's page. It's all there.

Steve B.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 09:38:39 -0400
    Subject: MR2 Re: MK1: (part2)E51 LSD Gearbox going into a 89 MK1 NA...More questions.

Robin San wrote:
    >
    > Hi again guys
    >
    > I have just got a few more questions on the gearbox transplant.
    >
    > I was told that the speedo cable is different on the E51 and the C52,
    > would it be possible to run my current C52 speedo cable with the E51
    > box. I had a look and the square drive looks the same and I think the
    > cable should reach the drive output. Using the E51 box should'nt make my
    > speedo anyless inaccurate should it?

Do you really want to find out? Just replace the darn thing.

> Also, coolant lines run into the gearbox right? are the coolant in and
    > out lines in the same place on the E51 and the C52 tranny?

They don't run into the gear box - the thermostat and input/output housing is
    bolted *to* the top of the tranny, as well as a few other things (a ground wire
    for one). All that stuff is very compatible, don't fret it. If it interfaces
    *into* the gearbox (shift linkage cables, speedo cable, reverse light switch,
    drive shafts, mounting hardware, etc) fret it, if it bolts *to* the gearbox
    (thermostat housing, etc), don't fret it.

> I found out the final drive ratio of the C52(4.325) and E51(4.285). Are
    > the gear ratios the same? Assuming the gear ratios are the same, would
    > the slightly higher final drive make a noticeable decrease in
    > performance or is the difference only marginal?

Last edited by GUN METAL; 26-06-2010 at 09:40 PM.

Junior Member Grease Monkey ira11y's Avatar

Was digging around some old stuff the other day and found some pics which might jog a few memories.

I think that's Mos in front of Bens rally car and Rod on the phone to something he probably picked up on the weekend. Im pretty sure that shed saw at least 4 conversions, an uncountable number of engine rebuilds and some very funny nights covered in oil and petrol.

Hardly a fair fight- the Porsche didn't have a chance!

I think that leak is plugged now isn't it Jason?

There's a tonne of photos here including some old cruise photos and write ups on 7M seals that I never got around to putting on the site from many moons ago.

http://www.toymods.org.au/~ira11y/
    Cheers Michael
    Opinions are like assholes, everybodys got one.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Toy77's Avatar

hey guys....

Dunno if this is the place.... so remove if its not.

Luke, the original founder, as a few have mention was a mad muso - very talented guy.

He has just released his first solo album.... no drums, no bass - just guitars and vocals pretty much.

If you would like to support an original guy giving it a go - look up 'luke lukess' on facebook.

Cheers
    Stew
    Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines. – Enzo Ferrari

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ira11y View Post
    Hardly a fair fight- the Porsche didn't have a chance!

looks like a Lotus actually
    Past Toyotas - Snow White (TA23), Blue Stivo (ZZE123)
    Current Toyotas - Hamster (AW11)
    Quote Originally Posted by X kyle X View Post
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

Normally Aspirated Domestic Engineer RT104GT's Avatar

There were Toyotas long before TOYMODS.
    If we only knew then what we know now we might have preserved a few of the TOYS.
    Instead of destroying them.
    1968 RT40S Corona 1600S series II (restore in progress)
    1973 RT104-MQFG 012604 Corona GT JDM (Owned since 1976 242000 km)
    1989 ST185-BLMVZ-0007199 Celica GT4 JDM (unmolested classic 95000 km)
    2012 ZN-6 86GT (shed find 5000 km in 6 years)

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

Sorry but 99% of Toyota's that found their way to Australia are far from inspiring to drive in stock trim. Most are not hugely valuable in comparison to say a Datsun 1600/510 or Gtho etc. Seriously why are you even on the forums if all you want to do is whinge about people turning cars into something they like to look and and have a ball driving.

If it wasn't for Toyota enthusiasts that came together to form toymods cars like yours & river's celica would be worth 3/5ths of fuck all as their simply would be no demand for them. People would merely view it as a shitbox Corona with fancy badging and a twin cam motor. It is the knowledge base that is Toymods and various other car forums that makes people realise just how rare some cars are from an Australian history point of view. Seriously what is the point in owning a car you a too worried to drive because you might devalue it or damage it.
    Last edited by RONA; 10-11-2010 at 07:50 PM.
    If in doubt power out