Thread: 2TG issue

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice quikestsilva's Avatar

Default 2TG issue

Gday, have some issues with my 2TG, havnt drove the car much l8ly as i purchased a ta22 and been using that when ever i dont have to take my baby anywhere, about a month ago i was driving it and all of a sudden it started playin up, i thought it mite of been geting to much fuel as i just left my m8s and it was on a steep hill,
    so i drove home and left it running on the flat for abit then went to go for a drive and it started back firing through the carbies and its like a ticking sort of noise, hard to explain unless you hear it.

I havnt had much time to look at it recently as its been xmas n falt out with work and my babies been sick, but i have managed to do a compression test incase it was a valve issue, compression came up 125psi on all fours, im just curious as to what it is, im leaning towards the carbies myself, it does drive but is embarressing and annoying and i also dont want 2 do any further damage.

ive talked 2 mechanics at my previous job and every person has told me different things, from electrical issue, bent or stuck valve, carbies need tunning or a good belting, timing, the list go's on
    T18 - 3tgte - project
    T18 - 3tc - daily

The Evil Director Backyard Mechanic jfallen's Avatar

Default Re: 2TG issue

Well the ever tempremental Solex's have a nasty habbit of working their secondary venturies loose. best way to check is to take off the air filter and stick your finger in and wiggle them, if they are loose then they'll wiggle around, if not they'll feel solid (as they're ment to be.)

Other then that it might need a tune as twin carb setups can be affected by changes in heat and atmospheric conditions. Hell it could be as simple as knocking your dizzy and it having the wrong advance.

Hope you get it sorted, as the 2TG's are awesome
    Jordan
    Past rides: 86 Hilux, 3x ke55 rollas's (2coupes,) 5th Gen GT4 x2, RA28, TA22 x3, KE10, P610 datto, RT40 corona x3, RT132, MX13

Currrent: , CA-A22 Celica living life as a Sports Sedan, 2000model ST215W Caldina GT-T manual, RT40 corona.

Junior Member Grease Monkey styler's Avatar

i second the venturi check, happened to me when the locating screw fell out my dcoe's.

Cheers guys, ive got the day off 2moro so will be able to have a look.
    T18 - 3tgte - project
    T18 - 3tc - daily

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Check that the dizzy hasn't come loose and changed your timing also.

Got the t-18 out today, took it around the block just to warm it up, so i adjusted the timing took it for another spin and it was better but was still missing and so on.
    so changed the timing again and she runs beautiful, cross my fingers that is, knowing my luck it will be back to the way it was 2moro.
    thanks for ur help every1
    T18 - 3tgte - project
    T18 - 3tc - daily

-Street Drag Machine- Grease Monkey renxun's Avatar

have u go back to the very basic of cleaning your spark plugs?
    Drift Drift Drift and drift untill getting high fever...

Had put new plugs in it, but did end up recleaning them as they had alot of build up on them, after driving the car the other night i realsied that its goin/is back to the way it was so just booking it in for a tune up as i havnt got much idea wats wrong and im not a mechanic,
    now ive sold my celica ive got no choice but to sell the t18 after it has a tune up as i only need my ute for work and going to buy my mrs something that can get a baby into the back of easier.
    T18 - 3tgte - project
    T18 - 3tc - daily