Page 82 of 85 FirstFirst ... 32728081828384 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 1265

Thread: 3T GTE Tech

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: 3T GTE Tech

nuts Grease Monkey

unless you have the complete efi bits, unbutchered wiring, ecu etc then go aftermarket. so much more adaptable to mods.
    -Mark
    E2 + E7 fan
    '71 KE26 5k, '75 KE25 SR 4agte, '78 KP60 bug 4k-u, '83 KE70 SR Coupe 3tgte, '84 KE74, '84 YN57, '84 AE85.6, '86 AE82 FXGT 20v, '91 ST185, '92 SW20

nuts Grease Monkey

If anyone has used an upgraded or heavy duty clutch and has part numbers handy, can they please post it I'm compiling a list of aftermarket stuff available for the 3tgte.
    cheers
    -Mark
    E2 + E7 fan
    '71 KE26 5k, '75 KE25 SR 4agte, '78 KP60 bug 4k-u, '83 KE70 SR Coupe 3tgte, '84 KE74, '84 YN57, '84 AE85.6, '86 AE82 FXGT 20v, '91 ST185, '92 SW20

This is dull, lets take this into a different direction, lets remove that turbo and fabricate a mount for a supercharger like for example this one.

http://www.paxtonauto.com/product.ph...57#parts_table

This has been a thought for a while . To get rid of that big distributor and make to crank trigger mods that have been already posted and fabrication of a mounting bracket that aids in mounting this system and drive pulley requirements. If done correctly then running a nice extractor or Header in the engine bay would give this a cleaner look, less plumbing and the stock low compression pistons can be used.

I put this out for brain storming and both positive and negative feedback to see what problems are for this. with so many sets of eyes and clever minds, this group can accomplish anything.

Next topic (complete 3TG wire loom) I believe I now own one which is being shipped with the ecu and I know that I now own the manuals to show the proper connection points for this stored with my stuff from a recent move. so patience will be required until I have time to un-pack.

Last edited by 73GTV; 18-03-2017 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AE25 View Post
    If anyone has used an upgraded or heavy duty clutch and has part numbers handy, can they please post it I'm compiling a list of aftermarket stuff available for the 3tgte.
    cheers
    I have a Exedy Sports Tuff Clutch Kit part no. TYK-6311HD, Pressure plate number TYC538HD, disk TYD094U. Kit includes throw out bearing.

nuts Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by ToyTA22 View Post
    I have a Exedy Sports Tuff Clutch Kit part no. TYK-6311HD, Pressure plate number TYC538HD, disk TYD094U. Kit includes throw out bearing.
    cheers ToyTA22. whats your impression of the clutch? heavy on the foot? abused it much? how much power is it holding? oh and did the throw out bearing have it's own carrier or did it need to be fitted to the original W5# bearing carrier? know part number if carrier included? thanks if you can answer.

I see in the exedy clutch finder it lists all the applicable models/engines that fit this clutch kit. ie Lots! nice to know.
    http://www.exedy.com.au/clutch-finder (TYK-6311HD)
    But more interestingly, the 225mm clutch cover also fits the following, which could open up interchangeable oddities for flywheels if the crank bolt pattern, location spigot and ring gear are a match?
    mitsi 4G54 or G54B
    mazda H20A
    suzuki H20A H25A & J20A
    Nissan CA20E

I'm using a repco supplied Clutch Industries HD organic 225mm kit for a hilux. I'm thrashing this thing and it's holding up fine. 3rd gear burnouts with at least 200hp im guessing. T28 on 14psi intercooled etc.
    Last edited by AE25; 12-03-2017 at 12:36 PM.
    -Mark
    E2 + E7 fan

unless you have the complete efi bits, unbutchered wiring, ecu etc then go aftermarket. so much more adaptable to mods.

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Looking to buy 3tgte complete motor or including gearbox but optional. Please send me a msg if anyone has one willing to sell. Located vic 3550 but can pay shipping. Cheers guys

Quote Originally Posted by Omegaman View Post
    After getting rid of my original std ECU, i found it easier when i bought a haltech ecu to wire up, to be able to diagnose issues in wiring eg what is working RPM triggers and signal to fuel pumps...etc.
    Using the software that goes with them really gives you an insight of what is working.
    A std ecu tells you no info and i was chasing my tail trying to diagnose the fault.
    Also it future proofs yr build. You may want bigger turbo, bigger injectors.
    Most std ecu may run on old flat type air flow meters, which can be bulky in engine bays. You get rid of those things.
    After market ECU's are not hard to play with, just research different types for your needs and skill level.
    You learn to mix and match parts when the original parts become scarce.. its not a bad thing to upgrade...

My skill level is basic, so i went for a Haltech EK6, very cheap should be under $300 in my books. old software DOS.
    Then i went to Haltech sprint 500, so easy to manage, not too many extra features i wont need. software easy and up to date.
    i paid 700 for my sprint with harness. that was cheap. But in saying that you can pick them up easier now.
    Haltech allow you to tune yr car yourself, You should be able to find a base map easy enough, while other ECU brands may need to be sent back for them to load a tuning map.

just my thoughts.
    also its a fun learning curb.
    Any updates ?

Well I just read this complete thread from front to back and It has answered a lot of my questions that I had so far. I am surprised that the traffic back to this thread has dried up. I guess it is true that people are not posting on forums as much anymore, and have traded this towards "F_ce-B_ok. That plus trying to keep a thirty year old plus engine running since 80% of the parts are now un-available. But I will not give up on either...

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Needing some advice on my 3tgte. It was rebuilt by YelloRolla about 5 years ago. Sat around for ages then I decided to get it going. It started blowing smoke after breaking it in and now have noticed oil pooling in the intake and sludge accumulating in the sump. How do I diagnose this. What is the likely cause?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TA63 Celica Coupe (3TGTE) - Build in progress

Quote Originally Posted by Diz44zy View Post
    Needing some advice on my 3tgte. It was rebuilt by YelloRolla about 5 years ago. Sat around for ages then I decided to get it going. It started blowing smoke after breaking it in and now have noticed oil pooling in the intake and sludge accumulating in the sump. How do I diagnose this. What is the likely cause?

Compression test results?

You have let this engine set for a while so now you have to start all over again, troubleshoot this engine as if your rings have not set during break-in and do enough of a tear-down of your turbo to make sure that it has not taken a dump.

Slight rust, etc, no lubrication before cranking, etc etc...

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Ended up handing it over to my mechanic. Asked him to do leak down and compression tests.

TA63 Celica Coupe (3TGTE) - Build in progress

nuts Grease Monkey

disconnecting the cam breather and block breather from the intake system will tell you if blowby is causing the smoke. Assuming a little.. it could be block pressure causing turbo oil system issues.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    -Mark
    E2 + E7 fan

disconnecting the cam breather and block breather from the intake system will tell you if blowby is causing the smoke. Assuming a little.. it could be block pressure causing turbo oil system issues.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    You are correct, however having blow-by and still not looking at your compression numbers, limits your knowledge of if you have stuck rings due to gunk solidified in the ring grooves not allowing your rings to seat properly. A tear-down inspection should have been performed after blowing oil was detected.