Page 4 of 85 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: 3T GTE Tech

Sucks to be a Domestic Engineer YelloRolla's Avatar

Default Re: 3T GTE Tech

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75
    Out of curiosity what fuel was Chris running ?
    I don't know.
    YelloRolla's KE20 1/4mi = 11.32 @ 119mph @ 22psi on slicks
    12.44 @ 113 mph on 165 wide street tyres
    210rwkw - not bad for a smelly 3TGTE running pump fuel.

Built! not bought Grease Monkey SYC02T's Avatar

Well on the run in i had used the Ampol 8000 i think it is called. I had just changed and put the BP ultimate in prob 15-20 km b4 changing the oil filter. I always run some form of 98 octane and i usually stay between ampol, bp, or caltex only.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If your not living on the edge,
    Your taking up too much space!!!

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Chris,

How is it running after the oil change ??
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

Well i haven't changed the oil yet. I ran around all this arvo looking for the penrite run in oil as used originally (got the filter), I want to go back to how it was running b4 then change the oil. What a waste of $40 oil, $20 filter and now some new spark plugs, and i only had the iridium plugs in for 700km.

Oh well i know where to get the oil for 2moz in town. i will have a crack again 2moz.

got any ideas to get the layer of oil and crud out of the piston chambers?

What fuels do people use and any (tested) reason why?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I usually run on the Mobil Synergy 8000 - this is mainly a supply issue (I like to fill at the same station every time). If I am away from home, it is either 8000 OR BP Ultimate

Well, wonders never cease to amaze me. Today i changed the oil, plugs and filter, (short version) and she now is running fine again.

If you had told me yesterday that oil on your pistons is (can be) from the oil fighting the fuel i would have laughed at you and said it would be more terminal like a cracked ring, valve steam seal or something like a leaking head gasket.

I will post some pics up tomoz (If you want) as i can not find the thingy to get the pics off my camera. After my final test drive i pulled the plugs out again just for a looksy and they are blackish around the outside and the electrode and the bit the spark jumps too are a light whitish colour. Now just got to check if this is because of burning the excess oil already in the chambers. but they all look the same which is a good sign.

Hope all is well from here on in. Now over to you Jase or Rod to see if we can find out why this happened in the 1st place.

Quote Originally Posted by SYC02T
    Hope all is well from here on in. Now over to you Jase or Rod to see if we can find out why this happened in the 1st place.
    Well I have no idea. I only asked some people and gave you their feedback. I am now going to be a LOT more selective about which oil I run.

It seems that the ancient saying of "oils aint oils" has been upheld here.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by SYC02T
    What fuels do people use and any (tested) reason why?
    Chris,

I personally use the BP Ultimate, Like Jason I refer to fill up at the one servo all the time but thats not why I use the BP.

Here at Work (SAS) we switched to BP Ultimate as our "control fuel" about 2 years or so ago. The main reason for this was not because it made more power but because it was consistant. Tank after Tank, month in month out it performs tha same. Some other fuel company's products did not in our experience have this repeatability with customers cars pinging on some tanks of fuel and not others. In every single case we draine dthe tank, replaced it with fresh Bp ultimate and the detonation problem was gone.

As for its power making ability, Anyone I have spoken to who has done "testing" recommends BP Ultimate as the 98 of choice. As a side note the V power Racing appears to be quite a good thing (its 100 Octane).
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT

1941cc 2T-G Domestic Engineer w810sc's Avatar

Just trying to keep this thread alive.
    Here are some pics of the dry sump setups I believe for the T series:
    This one is the TRD setup (could be for the 4T-GTE)

other:-

This might not be -GTE related, but I can't seem to find my picture of a twin carby intake manifold for the 3T-GT head.

fonz
    deepdishfactory
    2T-G - Half the valves but twice the fun.

Purple is the new black! Automotive Encyclopaedia sillycar chick's Avatar

Has anyone played around with porting on 3TGTE heads? Any info on your findings?

I am going to get one of my spare heads cut soon, hopefully I can make friends with the guy at my new work that operates the band saw. That way we can see everything before we start porting.

Very slow progress on my engine but its getting there. Money is the biggest issue at the moment, closely followed by time
    51LII - 1972 TA22 Celica | Morpheous Metallic | 4AGE 20v Silvertop | Razorback ECU | W58
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75 View Post
    There is not much hotter than a Freshly painted Celica, Unless its the reflection of a freshly painted Celica on a freshly painted Celica

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Porting yeah hard one because 2 ports one way 2 the other the factory looking for a bit of swirl for better combustion hence 2 plugs to try and burn every thing.
    I use compotition valves. 1mm over & flat on the inlet, std exhaust. Work the short turn remember it's rolling around for swirl laying it back a bit with a bias with the side turn no need to open the port to much I gained about 25 hp on the flow bench. they not that bad for a 2 valver. Good hp findings!

Cheers Dave.

Purple is the new black! Automotive Encyclopaedia sillycar chick's Avatar

Cool, thanks for that info, i'll keep it in mind Hit the bandsaw-operator up at work today about cutting the head, said it should be fine

Anyone know who sells a sump stud kit for the 3T? I havent found any yet, but am sure I saw one listed a while ago. If I cant find one i'll stop being lazy and go measure mine and find a kit that will do it I guess.

Hopefully getting a windage tray from BRD Racing soon to go in my sump, since its not a bad price.
    51LII - 1972 TA22 Celica | Morpheous Metallic | 4AGE 20v Silvertop | Razorback ECU | W58
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75 View Post
    There is not much hotter than a Freshly painted Celica, Unless its the reflection of a freshly painted Celica on a freshly painted Celica

1941cc 2T-G Domestic Engineer w810sc's Avatar

silly, make sure you have a matching sump with the windage tray.
    The 2T-G sump will not work because the sump divider will foul on the windage tray divider. If you have a 2T-GEU sump it might work because the sump hasn't got a divider, it has a flat piece.

You can modify your 2T-G sump by removing the sump divider or flatten it out. I have the components and I'll post up more results tomorrow.
    deepdishfactory
    2T-G - Half the valves but twice the fun.

Dana,

If your looking at the Sump upgrade options you might want to consider a JMR winged sump uupgrade as well as your BRD Windage tray. Jason normally fits a TRD style inner section but could easily use your BRD one if you prefer it.

The major advantage of the winged sump is the increase in oil capacity to give you that precious extra volume for long high RPM bends or runs. Its well known that the 2TG and 3T-GTE both hold in the heads at High RPM and most of us will have seen the momentary shit scary oil light flash they get at track days and the like. The extra 900 or so mililitres in the wings should in theory prevent that.

As for head porting, All my research has been on the 2TG heads so I only have stock flow figures fo rthe 3T-GTE head and manifold. In sayingthat however personally I would look at the intake manifold before I would worry about the head. Not to sound like a salesman but Jason (JMR) has had some fantastic dyno proven results with the modifications he does to the stock 3T-GTE inlet manifold. Sure a complete custom inlet manifold and plenum would be great but a well modified stock one can be a great cost effective alternative.
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT

Junior Member Grease Monkey

mine flowed 208 cfm and 170 cfm if I remember correctly I would have to look at the numbers again
    Quote Originally Posted by sillycar chick
    Has anyone played around with porting on 3TGTE heads? Any info on your findings?

I am going to get one of my spare heads cut soon, hopefully I can make friends with the guy at my new work that operates the band saw. That way we can see everything before we start porting.

Very slow progress on my engine but its getting there. Money is the biggest issue at the moment, closely followed by time