Thread: Toyota Celica TA22 mods

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Cool Toyota Celica TA22 mods

Hey car addicts,
    I am looking at doing a conversion from the old single spinner in my Toyota Celica TA22 to a LSD diff and also upgrading from the single carby to twin carbys and need helping finding a LSD diff an 2 solex dual throat carbys an a inlet manifold from the carby to head an there aint that many jap import places in Nth QLD that have them lying around. Also to change to twin carbys would i need to upgrade the cam

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Default Re: Toyota Celica TA22 mods

not sure about the diff - search Member's rides for folks with TA's and see what they've done to get LSD - it probably involves a donor diff and welding of mount onto that diff.

carbis and manifold (what engine? 2T?) - start searching here but without knowing what particular T-series engine you have its a bit of a guess.
    Last edited by thechuckster; 25-09-2007 at 09:38 PM.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

I have used F series diffs from taragos which is 1430 or it might have been wider. IIRC 80mm needed to be takenm off it. I've had these shortened in a few 22's which has required a housing and axle shortening along with the usual rewelding of the diff mounts. This also provides a disc brake rear end and in standard form comes 5 stud but the axles and discs can be redrilled to accomodate four stud if thats what your after.

The F series is a decent sized diff and in most applications in these cars are more than an adequate upgrade. I used one in my corolla and it held up without any problems.

Some of these diffs come with lsds standard but aftermarket ones can also be obtained either new or second hand.

There is also a TA23 at my shop that has a G series diff (shortened as well) but this was done by Craft Diffs. The G series is a monster of a diff and alot of the time overkill along with adding excess weight.

cheers
    linden
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

Thumbs up Re: Toyota Celica TA22 mods

I am looking for an LSD diff that all needs to be done is take the old single spinner diff centre an add a TRD LSD diff centre
    The engine is the 1.6 2T 1600cc single cam and just want twin carbys

umop apisdn Chief Engine Builder twentyEight's Avatar

Sounds like a Parts Wanted thread then...
    ([][][]II--LT--II[][][])

Green '77 RA28 Celica - VVTi V8 Goodness...

I even do the dishes as Domestic Engineer Rodger's Avatar

Hi Celics rule,

Check what I could offer you on my site for your 2T dual carby set up. Please contact me about pricing. See the link on the Sponsors page.

Regards

Rodger

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Why do you want twin carbies? If you think you can throw them on and make more power, think again. On the other hand if it's just for the bling factor, knock yourself out. A pair of sidedraughts in good condition is far from cheap though, and anything which is cheap will almost certainly be worn out and in need of an expensive rebuild.

As for the LSD, first check your build plate to find out if you have a D series or a T series diff. If the former you're screwed, you'll have to swap the whole rear end. If the latter you're fine, they have the same centre as AE86's so there's plenty of aftermarket gear available. If you search you'll find all the info you need, it's all been covered.

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

yeah, jap spec T series rear ends bolt right in (the centres at least) so its easy on tha end (ive only ever owned celicas with T series rears, never seen a D though, so i cant compare the two)

Rodger what is ur site on the sponsors page
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodger
    Hi Celics rule,

Check what I could offer you on my site for your 2T dual carby set up. Please contact me about pricing. See the link on the Sponsors page.

Regards

Rodger

I want the twin solex carbys cause it gives more airflow and makes it sound better cause i have some on a racing motor but need ones to suit the standard 2T
    I think the diff is a T-series but cant find the base plate on the diff

I even do the dishes as Domestic Engineer Rodger's Avatar

Ahh ok, its the RMcarburetors link.

And the link is in my forum name drop down list. "Visit Rodger's Home Page"

Regards

Rodger

Purple is the new black! Automotive Encyclopaedia sillycar chick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    As for the LSD, first check your build plate to find out if you have a D series or a T series diff. If the former you're screwed, you'll have to swap the whole rear end. If the latter you're fine, they have the same centre as AE86's so there's plenty of aftermarket gear available. If you search you'll find all the info you need, it's all been covered.
    Why would you be screwed? My 22 has a D series diff, I pulled the centre out and put in a 3.9 ratio T centre out of an RA60, bolted straight in and used the D axles.

Talk to GeneSpida, he put an AE86 T series LSD in his 22 diff, along wtih the bigger axles... I think there's some minor work like shortening ~5mm off the end of the axles...
    51LII - 1972 TA22 Celica | Morpheous Metallic | 4AGE 20v Silvertop | Razorback ECU | W58
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75 View Post
    There is not much hotter than a Freshly painted Celica, Unless its the reflection of a freshly painted Celica on a freshly painted Celica

My diff is a D-series will the T-series LSD from a AE86 fit in perfect without modifying the axles