Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2.2 litre 1G Stroker kits

Worlds Fastest 1G Backyard Mechanic

Default 2.2 litre 1G Stroker kits

Hey all, well, after asking permission from Josh to do a group buy, I thought I'd put a post here first to see if people even think its worth it, and if there is any specific worries or thoughts people might like to put in to what we should aim for in building a stroker kit for 1.

Firstly, let me say that its actually 2160 odd cc, but the factory engine is 1988cc anyway, so its almost a 10% increase in capacity. I'm basing the kit off my current engine, and the stroker would cosist of an offset ground Gen 3 crankshaft, H beam conrods, and custom 77mm CP pistons. The cranks would have to be on a exchange or I do yours basis.

Now for the details. I'm not interested in making any money from this, my main focus or goal, is to group buy the pistons and rods, so that I can save myself around a grand over buying 1 offs. I'll build at least 1 spare engine for my race car, maybe 2(bottom ends at least). The engine can easily take a 77mm bore, I have sonic tested 3 and they will be fine, I've grout filled my block, but then I intend to rev it to 11000rpm and run 45psi of boost as well The components will come ready to assemble, the crankshafts will be index ground and stroked, nitrided, balanced etc etc, my 1G crank cost $1300 to be done, if we do 4-5 it should be around $850. The rods will be custom made SPOOL rods, which I have used many times and found the qaulity to be excellent. I guess you could use stock rods, but this will push the price of the kit for everyone else up, as we will have to pay more for less sets of H beam rods. Rods are usually $990, but prob around 800-820 for 5 sets.

Laslty, the pistons, which cost me at my trade price $1550 alone, with upgraded pins etc. This will come down to around $1200 including rings for 5 sets. The engine will come with a full set of bearings, so all you'll need from there is a block and head. I can also do up a print out with all the oil gallery mods that need doing, how to clearance the block for the crank throw etc, and I'm also thinking of doing it with 2 other options of a main stud kit with standard main caps, or my 12mm thick laser cut main girdle, which would add about $350 including surfacing your main caps for fitment.

So all up, with crank, rods, pistons, rings, gudgeons and bearings I'd say ready to assemble it will be about $3000.

If we can get 5 people to get that kit, then 3 more that would like stock rods for lower power levels, the 3 lower power kits would be about $2200 ready to assemble.

With H beam rods, this is the same as I have in my car, and would safely handle 10000rpm and 800 flywheel hp. For any street car off these forums, it would take all you could throw at it. The street version with stock rods should still be happy at 450rwhp, I probably wouldn't step much over 9000rpm and 500rwhp with stock rods though.

Thoughts anyone?? Like I said, I'm not interested in making money from it, I want to SAVE myself some money, I could prob even arrange for you all to pay the businesses invloved directly, eiether way, just wanted to see what you all thought.

Cheers........................6BOOST

Not a patch on a Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: 2.2 litre 1G Stroker kits

I like the idea a lot. Raising the dollars would be my only issue.
    RA23
    1G-GZE

wire jiggler supreme Backyard Mechanic celicapain's Avatar

Im so totally in for this. would need a month's warning or so to raise the beans, but provided ive got some warning ill be able to afford it.
    GA23(never finished-now with cracked block ) JZX83 (Tyre eater) 3sgte AE86. by now i should know better.

Captain Insano Grease Monkey sanchez's Avatar

it sounds good but 3k is venturing into 1J territory methinks
    1GGTE powered AE86
    JZX100 Mark II

Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ
    dude he is in darwin...you could use cocaine powered monkeys to move your car and the RTA wouldnt care

celicapain, I'd say we woul dtake about 4 weeks to get together people that are interested and serious, then I'd take deposits for the pistons only, as I have to pay 50% of this up front, the rest, rods, bearings etc, I can cover until its all finished ready to go, which I'd say will be another 4 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by sanchez
    it sounds good but 3k is venturing into 1J territory methinks
    4 answers for that question. The first, is that not all cars can fit a 1J in them, I barely have 5mm between my radiator and balancer, and I've shortened everything in sight etc to fit all the nice bits on my 1G, so som epeople just don't have the 1J option

Secondly, not all cars would be legal with a 1J

Thirdly, the extra weight of a 1J might upset the handling of smaller KE style cars a bit

Lastly, 1J's don't do 10000rpm, and I can bet you there isn't a 1J in the country that has or ever will run a 9 on 24psi without gas, my corolla isn't light (1140kg plus 108kg driver), and run a 9.7 on 24psi stock stroke. My new 2.2 litre engine makes the same power on 4psi less boost then the 2 litre did, that= 9.7 on 20psi

Don't take any of my answers as defensive, they are not intended to be back handed. There are 2 ways to make power, capacity, or revs, or both. A stock 1J makes peak power around 6800-7000rpm, if you sed the appropriate camshafts, the 1G, with 10% less capacity will make more power than the 1J if it makes peak power at 8000rpm. My old engine with stock valves and buckets made peak power from 8000rpm to 9600rpm. I also wouldn't want to screw 40psi into a stock 1J

I know this kit won't be for everyone guys, trust me, I cringe and almost cry at the thought that for the amount of money and development I've put into my 1G, I could have a 1200hp 2JZ sitting in there. Only problem is, the 2J don't fit, and I've kinda grown fond of the little boat anchor Besides, nothing sounds as sweet as 10000rpm 1G sweetness. MAke sure your all at jamboree to hear it for yourself, it'll be the car that sounds like a motorbike

6BOOST

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic slipway's Avatar

mmmmmm 10,000 rpm 1g

......... Carport Converter jeffro ra28's Avatar

Sounds like an awesome package. How much needs to be ground of the crank to have the required stroke acheived? Will the cranks need to be welded then ground? Or will they be ground to a smaller size and custom small journal rods used?

I cant see why a 1j wouldnt turn 10,000rpm, rb26's turn 10,000rpm easily with a larger stroke. But thats not the topic

Hung like planet Pluto... Backyard Mechanic Rcubed's Avatar

having just bought a 1G-GT [yet to receive it] i like the sound of this already.when do you imagine this will happen? or do you wait for 5 punters?

I like Cheese Backyard Mechanic Jackel's Avatar

oh dam thats so tempting
    Previous Rides: JZA80, GA70 GT, RA63 GT x2, TA61 GT, TA63.

I will not be ordering or starting this until I have 5 people, I will need 50% deposit for the pistons only, which is $600, the pistons will take 4-6 weeks to get made, so in this time, I'll get the cranks ground, and the rods should show up.

This isn't something that will drag out, I'm pretty organised when it comes to sorting out this stuff as I've done it all with my own engine a few times now every time I change something or have a problem. I have 3 probable orders if celicapain would like to go ahead with it including myself. We would need 2 more to build the stroker engines.

If people would like a set of H beam rods, I'm happy to get more sets made, if we could get 5 more people to get the rods on top of the stroker engines, I'd say price will come down to about $780 a set, you might want to just buy them and sit them in the cupboard. Unfortunately, you won't be able to do this with the pistons, as they will have a higher pin height to suit the stroker.

6BOOST

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro ra28
    Sounds like an awesome package. How much needs to be ground of the crank to have the required stroke acheived? Will the cranks need to be welded then ground? Or will they be ground to a smaller size and custom small journal rods used?

I cant see why a 1j wouldnt turn 10,000rpm, rb26's turn 10,000rpm easily with a larger stroke. But thats not the topic
    People that want to be a part of this buy will need to supply a counterweighted Gen 3 turbo crank. For those that haven't been following my engine or crankshaft threads, the Gen 3 turbo engine has a 44mm big end journal. You can't buy good quality bearings for this journal, as toyota and a cheap manufacturer are the only 2 people that make them, so we grind them down to the Gen 1/2 engine's 42mm big end size. Rather than just take the 2mm off at stock stroke, we offset grind the crankshaft, which yeilds a 77mm stroke, when combined with the 77mm bore gives 2151cc. The bearings are off the shelf King Bearings to suit a 4K toyota, and are the same as GEN 1/2 journal size, so should you ever have any sort of failure, you could quick fix it with a set of stock rods. Also, bearings are available all the way up to .060' oversize, giving plenty of service life in such circumstances.

RB26's don't rev to 10000rpm, I am friends with the owner of the second fastest GTR in australia Mark Jacobson, who has run a 8.40@162mph (with one of my manifolds of coarse ) and he only revs that to 9200-9400rpm. And thats pushing it, he usually doesn't like to go over 9g. Some full house race engines with 50+G in components might rev that high. but not many. Trust me, there are few engines that will turn 10k rpm and live to brag about it.

6BOOST

Ahar i see. I was interested to see how you would acheive the extra stroke if the journals where the same. I wasnt aware that gen 3 1g's had a larger journal crank. That really sounds like a good package.

I aint trying to be the biggest swinging dick here. With respect 6boost. I built a gtr engine for the street, it see's around 10 000rpm on an occasional basis. Just because your mate doesnt turn it to 10 doesnt mean it wont go there.
    Last edited by jeffro ra28; 19-10-2007 at 10:18 AM.

The old One Backyard Mechanic

Kyle

I would definitely be a goer. Just can't come up with the crank 'til the end of the year. If you are not too far advanced on the other option and delay in the crank is not a problem just tell me when to sent the money.

Cheers Craig

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro ra28
    I aint trying to be the biggest swinging dick here. With respect 6boost. I built a gtr engine for the street, it see's around 10 000rpm on an occasional basis. Just because your mate doesnt turn it to 10 doesnt mean it wont go there.
    I could do 15-16k rpm with my 1G, doesn't mean it won't go there either, I don't think the ablity of an engine to acheive an rpm is an indication of its reliability doing so. An RB doesn't have the port volume to achieve power at these rpm's without massive development, far past any street engine in this country.

6BOOST

I never said it makes good power at these rpm, I said it will rev there, easily. it would rev to 9 on stock rods with no drama's.

RB's and 1j's will rev to 10 000rpm (rotating assembly dependant, similar to your 1g), thats all i am saying. I am not denying anything else you have said.

At the end of the road, revolutions acquire speed, not power.