Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2.2 litre 1G Stroker kits

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

Default Re: 2.2 litre 1G Stroker kits

Do you have any recomendations on where to get Cams to make the most of these combo's?

From memory Kyle uses Tighe cams.

I'm so postmodern......

Worlds Fastest 1G Backyard Mechanic

I have had great success with Tighe cams in my own engine, I have noticed that they use a lot of motrbike and old Group a/b/c touring car turbo grinds like sierra's and rally car grinds etc, also using a fast lifting rate, so that you get as much mid/low rpm power to go with the bigger duration higher top end. They have hundreds of grinds, it would depend on your goal.

If everyone buying the stroker kits needed cams, I could try and arrange a group buy pf those too, I did one privately recently for some friends, and I think 3 sets was about 800-850, 5 sets should be about $750-800.

If we group bought the springs, which performance springs is a forum supporter anyway Ithink, you should be able to get 5 sets of valve springs for about $230-250 a set.

Kyle.

Riverina Chapter Automotive Encyclopaedia andyroo's Avatar

Hi,

I breifly thought of this back when I had just the na 1G in the car, I contacted a celica xx guy I know in Japan, and the info I got was pretty negative, besides the cost, he has seen most of the ones stroked blow bits out of the block, app its a very thin block to begin with?
    2009 Toyota Hilux SR V6 4x4
    2000 Toyota Avalon Grande -SOLD 2014
    1985 Toyota Celica XX 1G-GTE - SOLD 2014

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

i think 6BOOST has pretty well proved what can and cant be done with a 1g.

he is putting this thread up to help ppl save money on the cost of building one of these(if they so chose to)

and i think ANYBODY with something negative to say should PM or ring him directly rather than posting crap in his thread.

i cant understand why ppl are so negative towards this idea (especially when hes not trying to make money off it)

cheers
    linden

ps sorry for the rant but this is rediculous
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

RIP Scott Kalitta Automotive Encyclopaedia Mr DOHC's Avatar

that sounds like a good combo

surprised ron hasnt popped up here yet
    JZX83+ FMIC+ Twin 2.5" dumps to 3"+ FCD+ 2800rpm stallie+ 14psi - LSD - good tyres = 12.85 @105.58

The boobs are back

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia SillyCarS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Roadrunner

he is putting this thread up to help ppl save money on the cost of building one of these(if they so chose to)

and i think ANYBODY with something negative to say should PM or ring him directly rather than posting crap in his thread.

i cant understand why ppl are so negative towards this idea (especially when hes not trying to make money off it)

cheers
    linden

seconded

kyle runs the WORLDS FASTEST 1g and there are plenty of published articles such as in this months triple issue of ZOOM (pg 78) where they rant and rave about his quality of work and his unheard of LIFETIME WARRANTY on his manifolds

this shit is the ducks guts and i would like to see anyone try and match it

nuff said really

Riverina Chapter Automotive Encyclopaedia andyroo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Roadrunner

cheers
    linden

Erm, if this was directed at my post, what the? I hope he can do it, and I hope it works well! Was just commenting on the info I got from someone that has actually seen it done a few times..
    2009 Toyota Hilux SR V6 4x4
    2000 Toyota Avalon Grande -SOLD 2014
    1985 Toyota Celica XX 1G-GTE - SOLD 2014

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

it wasnt directed at anybodyin particular, i just get sick of ppl trying to help out and being told that they should do it another way.

im all for feedback provided its based on factual info (that being firsthand ie: you saw it with your own eyes) and there are pics to prove it, but just send it to 6BOOST and let him make the decision as to wether its worth going forward or not.

everyone told me that its not possible to rwd a gen3 3s because jon's blew up so many times but hey i proved them wrong and the falicy that a stock 3s cant handle over 230rwkw b4 it blows (249.4rwkw everyday of the week)

the amount of great info 6BOOST puts on these forums is great and the fact that he shares his trade secrets with everyone (that he probly doesn't even know) is what puts him so highly on my list of WELL RESPECTED PPL, (im not easily impressed) and i can tell you its a very short list.

cheers
    linden

ps, kyle id grab a kit if it wasnt for the fact that the 1g is for our family car.
    Quote Originally Posted by WHITCHY
    Prefer someone around the Sydney area but will travel a few hours for a good box!

30DET... The only way. Carport Converter Kyosho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro ra28
    I never said it makes good power at these rpm, I said it will rev there, easily. it would rev to 9 on stock rods with no drama's.

RB's and 1j's will rev to 10 000rpm (rotating assembly dependant, similar to your 1g), thats all i am saying. I am not denying anything else you have said.

At the end of the road, revolutions acquire speed, not power.
    A stock RB25 likes to start throwing rods at around 8500 - 9000RPM...
    As to built engines, my mates, which pushes out 757RWHP, only revs to 8500RPM.
    The RB motor is NOT designed to rev as hard as a smaller motor like the 1G, it is designed to produce torque.
    Seriously headwork is also required to stop the thing from shitting itself in the top end and not opening valves (Hydraulic lifters bleed out at high rpm, needs to be converted to solid lifters)

Now to 6Boost: How long exactly, if you were made a deposit, would one have to pay the final amount? I'm chasing numbers (For the strip) and planning to go hard on the little 1G, and I think this would be the perfect way to chase it...
    My Dead Supra...
    Quote Originally Posted by ReQuieM in the A70 Thread
    There is some serious talent in this thread for linking anything to fuckin gay sex. Its extraordinary.

Lol, thanks for all the support and comments guys, it makes it worthwhile when the help and information you give others makes a difference

I think everybody took Andy a little too seriously though, he pm'd me and said he didn't know a great deal about it and didn't claim to and was just passing on his feedback from some guys in japan.

Let me just say, that the 1G in general, isn't a great engine, while a few people, and I mean VERY FEW people such as ron have made alot of hp on a stock bottom end, they must be freak engines. I'm not stupid, lazy or uneducated when it comes to engine assembly, I know about side clearance, bearing crush, oil pressure/revs, almost all the things you make sure you get spot on in a performance engine, not just using a plasti gauge to check bearing clearances, and even then, I've hurt MANY 1G's. I've also seen countless others with turbo upgrades let go after short periods, and every single time, not 1 engine yet, have I seen that hasn't hurt big end bearings 1 and 6.

The engine just lacks oil flow at sustained RPM and hp figures, and becuase the crank is relatively light, I have a theory that at big rpm's it gets a bit of a whip up and doesn't help that matter. I've since spent considerable time on the oiling system of them, and my engine that run a 9.71 is a perfect example. Stock pistons, rods, crank, valves, buckets and intake manifold, and only on 24psi. I revved that thing to 9600rpm countless times, shit, I held it at 9400rpm for 90 seconds straight and destroyed a brand new set of mickey T street radials for the cover shoot in zoom, and that engine was as clean and spotless inside the day I sold it as when it went together, I checked bearing condition by cutting open every oil filter that ever come off it, and not 1 single spec of even the top layer of bearing ever came off that thing, trust me, after 6-7 failures, you know EXACTLY what your looking for lol.

I highly doubt that these guys in japan ever did any of that stuff, and doubt they were making even that power with a stroker. As for block strength, asI said, I have sonic tested 3 engines so far, and the thinnest point on any part of the bore was .180", so with an .080" overbore, half comes off each side, meaning there is still .140" bore thickness left. Anyone who knows V8's can tell you this is substantial, most factory ford/holden/chev blocks don't even have that, and they have a much larger and more prone to flex bore compared to the little 1G 3" bore. In any engine that with anything up to a GT35 turbo and 30psi of boost, making 500rwhp and enough power to push most cars on here well into the 9's, you won't split a bore, simple as that.

I have grout filled mine, and if you want to make more power than suggested, its nothing more than a grout filled block away. I've done a few tricks as well, like ordering shorter skirt pistons, added 3mm to the rod length to make the rod ratio better, and the higher pin height piston is lighter as well, it also gives less angularity on teh bore at BDC, which stops the piston pushing into the side of the bore as much to stop exactly what I've been talking about, splitting the block.

Component engineering isn't something I've just had a thrash at like some shops do, everything in this kit is engineered off my own engine, been tested, and hopefully in a weeks time will come off the dyno with 560-580rwhp, and a week later an 8 sec timeslip to back it all up. All kits will come with a VERY thorough hand book on oil system modification, pictures, block clearancing, engine building tips, and anything else you could need to get it right the first time, and and save yourself the time and money learning from my broken trail of engines in the past

Well, there's my essay for the day, hope you all aren't asleep by now. To keep the thread on track, we have 3 people for the stroker, I need 2 more and will start to organise some stuff, I might make 2 spare engines for myself, so if we get 1 more person, that'll make 5. And don't forget people, I can get some extra rods made for a standard 1G if you'd like to put them in the cupboard, andit will bring the price down to about $780 if we get 10 sets.

Cheers.............................Kyle.
    Last edited by 6BOOST; 21-10-2007 at 02:06 PM.

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

pm sent to the 1G god
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

Quote Originally Posted by Kyosho
    Now to 6Boost: How long exactly, if you were made a deposit, would one have to pay the final amount? I'm chasing numbers (For the strip) and planning to go hard on the little 1G, and I think this would be the perfect way to chase it...
    If we get 5 people to make a $600 deposit now, for the pistons only, I'd say we can get the pistons here before christmas, as over christmas everything shuts down, and the US Nascar teams all order their stuff, which could drag it out to 10-12 weeks if we don't order for a few more weeks. I'd say rods will be 6-8 weeks, so around christmas, and cranks, depending on when everybody can get me one, I could get done anytime within that time.

So we have the option of:

a:Order sometime this week if we get another person or 2, and have everything ready by christmas
    b:Leave it for 3-4 weeks, order just before christmas, and probably have everything late january. I can make it later, I guess its up to what suits everyone else best, however I don't want it to drag into 6 months, as I really want a spare engine when I stat doing some serious racing.

6BOOST

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Great info 6boost, it's tops having guys like you on the forums.

30DET... The only way. Carport Converter Kyosho's Avatar

I'd really love to build up something like this, and it's actually EXACTLY what I want, but money timing issues are bad now...

Edit: Which gaskets should be used also, and do you have a rough estimate on what thye'll cost?
    My Dead Supra...
    Quote Originally Posted by ReQuieM in the A70 Thread
    There is some serious talent in this thread for linking anything to fuckin gay sex. Its extraordinary.