Thread: Turbo Selection

Deep Fried Backyard Mechanic ONETEN's Avatar

Default Turbo Selection

Hey,

The charger on my 4agze is really starting to shit me, what with its hunger for chewing out belts and being a grumpy biatch off boost im starting to look at taking it off and looking at turbo charging. I have a good friend with a r32 gtr which hes looking at going big single on, and its currently fitted with a pair of gt2860r turbos. He offered me one of them for a great price, but what im concerned about it that this little baby is going to be too small in the rear housing department for the GZE.

I dont know peoples experiences with these turbos, but im wondering considering the size of the rear housing has anyone had issues with boost spike or responsiveness with one of these turbos?? I dont want to put it on ti find out the tiny little internal wastegate cant control the turbo speed and its horrid to drive on 10psi or so of boost.

Any advice/experience would be appreaciated!

Cheers,
    Hayden

senior backyard mechanic Grease Monkey legend's Avatar

Default Re: Turbo Selection

the t25g is well suited for the 4agze
    i got a t25g off a nissan sr20 motor very slight shaft play no impeller damage
    $100 firm

i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar

what power is he making currently? what RPM does he see full boost at?

i'd advise against using one of two standard GTR turbos, but an aftermarket one could work really well.

what flange are they? if they are T25 that will make it easy for future upgrades.
    like to drift? live in victoria?
    www.vicdrift.com

now targeting: targets

formerly shinybluesteel

BBP racing 3rzfe+T Carport Converter BeRad's Avatar

A gt2860r will be fine on a 4agze, but that depends what power you want to make, and what sought of power curve your after. Everything comes at a cost but the gt series are Dual ballbearing which is an advantage over bush bearing turbos.

What size rear housing does it have on it, a rear housing can be changed easy enough if it is to small, and could possibly swap with someone, or you can pick one up cheap enough anyway
    Last edited by BeRad; 01-07-2007 at 04:36 PM.
    Only the shittiest of wines come in 5 litres

boosted 3rz hilux *new project* mwahaha
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...940#post134940

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic cri_ag's Avatar

do you mean gt2860r as in disco potato? if so its probly got a .64 or a .82 rear either will be suitable on the 4a. i run a gt2871r which is basicaly the next size turbo up from the gt2860 with the .64 rear and its sweet. how much power/boost do you want to run.

shinybluesteel: hes making about 320awkw a around 22psi of boost and comes on strong around 4000rpm mark, they are direct replacements for the standard GTR turbos so they would be t25.

berad and craig: Its a Garrett stock replacement upgrade kit especially for the rb26, so they arnt disco potatos, they have a smaller rear housing than any single style gt series turbs ive seen, but the front doesnt look too different. Thats why i was curious too see whether the rear housing may be too small for a single application. IM not too sure what the rear houding size is but i will see if i can sus it out.

Cheers

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

Quote Originally Posted by hcope86
    berad and craig: Its a Garrett stock replacement upgrade kit especially for the rb26, so they arnt disco potatos, they have a smaller rear housing than any single style gt series turbs ive seen, but the front doesnt look too different. Thats why i was curious too see whether the rear housing may be too small for a single application.
    Cheers
    they will either be .48 or .64. in which case both would suit your engine anyway. ca18s come with .48 rears and they have nice response, if your want more power later put a S/H .64 on there and crank the boost up.
    cheers
    linden

Insert whitty comment her Automotive Encyclopaedia blacktop's Avatar

I was considering swapping my T25G with a T28 as it would be a bit more sensible on a stock 20V, but i decided against it as there was no real benefit, and i'm power hungry some times.
    I think the T28 would be fine if you get it for around the $150 mark, otherwise i would just buy a T25G for $100-$150 mark

Yeah ive thought about it but the 2860 has been offered to me real cheap and only has 3000kms of use, plus i get the added bonus of ball bearing.

Cheers for all the tips fellas

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Ball bearing is the way to go for sure, with a smaller engine it really counts to go for the bb, anything else is a bit old fashioned now. A mate with a ca18 swapped his t25 for a garrett bb 2860 and the difference in spool time and low down torque and top end is off the planet. The only problem can be price, but if you can get one at a good price go for it. Additionally there are the t28's off late model 200sx (s14 series 2 and s15's) that run a bb t28 which can be found for aound $550 in good condition. Good Luck