Thread: 18R Valve Stem Seals - Replacing Q's

ANGRY MAN 2011 Chief Engine Builder Admiral coFF33's Avatar

Default 18R Valve Stem Seals - Replacing Q's

guys my girlfriends classic 1974 corona needs its seals replaced after an overheating incident when we first bought it , turns out the thermo wasnt opening , she overheated it a few tiems really fuckin bad and because of that the seals have hardened and are now gone...

here she is :

what a cutie you say? yess yess .. she is... but recently shes taken up smoking ..

if i drive along there is no smoke .. once shes at op temp and i pull up to lights , there is small puffs of smoke grey/dark grey coming out the zorst then when i take off once the light goes green i get a ploom of smoke sprayed out then it will go away once im cruising 10+kph

now down to the questions .. the Valve Stem Seals are gone :

ive spoken to a few mechanics in perth , including Oden Road auto parts (very very very helpful) who i hada 10 mins conversation to about how to change them he basically said if i had a compressed air machine or some cloth i could change them myself.

1. Does the rocker need to come off to replace them or can i take out the sparkplugs and fill it with compressed air then pop the spring and take themout/replace them that way which is fiddly and i know there is more to it than just that, but easyer..

2. does the car run with a timing chain over the cam that will need taking off along with the tensioner once the rocker comes off?

3. if it cannot be replaced via question 1. then once they take the rocker off do they NEED to take off the chain + cam to get to the seals for replacement or does it not need to be taken out?

i was quoted around $120 if question 1 is ok, and if question 3 is the only way to do it he said he wouldnt bother doing it as it would cost more than the car would ...

any help is much appriciated guys i dont wanna lose such a clean rona to the cops coz of the smoke ....

RIP Scott Kalitta Automotive Encyclopaedia Mr DOHC's Avatar

Default Re: 18R Valve Stem Seals - Replacing Q's

cough* 18RG *cough
    JZX83+ FMIC+ Twin 2.5" dumps to 3"+ FCD+ 2800rpm stallie+ 14psi - LSD - good tyres = 12.85 @105.58

The boobs are back

RIP Scott Kalitta Automotive Encyclopaedia Mr DOHC's Avatar

the cam is held down by a set of caps and the rockers are separate, so u can take off the rockers, put some rope down the spark plug tube so the valve doesn drop out and remove the spring and change them.

refer to the 1JZ VSS thread for info on the rope thing
    JZX83+ FMIC+ Twin 2.5" dumps to 3"+ FCD+ 2800rpm stallie+ 14psi - LSD - good tyres = 12.85 @105.58

The boobs are back

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

overheating the humble 18R a few times generally results in stuffed rings after a while - it might be easier to get an 18R from the wreckers, give it a clean up (a VRS kit, or rebuilt it if you feel really foolish) and then swap it over with the smoker.

with the aid of beer, food hangers-on, some tools, car jack/stands and an engine crane it would be a weekend job for a mod of you?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

if its been overheated a few times, i feel the stem seals will not solve your problem fully and thus may be a waste of time as a part-cure only. the rings will be losing their tension and thats causing some of the smoke problem.

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

*cough*as MRDOHC said *cough*18RG*cough*

or you could bang ya head against the wall and get nowhere fast with the 18RCPOO. Arent the rockers in the 18RC held down by the head bolts? in which case, option 1 may be difficult... possible but difficult. You shouldnt have to take the cam off at all for it tho.

I reckon it can be done, but not worth it IMHO as an 18RG is SOOO much a better engine its not funny.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.