Thread: S13 Coilovers Into RA65?

Triple OG Grease Monkey

Default S13 Coilovers Into RA65?

Hey guys I was just wondering what parts are needed to fit S13 coilovers into an RA65?

Obviously the coilovers, hubs, rotors and calipers but what else is needed? Can stock LCA's be used etc?

Thanks so much.

Oh and can you get a quickrack for one

Sorry for the noob questions.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: S13 Coilovers Into RA65?

There was a post on here a couple of weeks ago discussing fitting S13 coilovers to an AE86. It would probably be a good starting point to indicate what you are going to need to do.

Here's the link

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11242

Personally, for all the effort fitting s13 struts would take, I would look at getting your RA65 struts modified.

Triple OG Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyracer
    There was a post on here a couple of weeks ago discussing fitting S13 coilovers to an AE86. It would probably be a good starting point to indicate what you are going to need to do.

Here's the link

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11242

Personally, for all the effort fitting s13 struts would take, I would look at getting your RA65 struts modified.
    Considering I have a set of brand spankers HSD coilovers sitting in my room waiting to go in I don't think that I'll be so gay as to modify gay struts. RA65 no steering lock ftl. Mates doing it, he's done it to his sprinter but I just wanna know for myself what's needed. And of course AE86's are different to RA65's so I want to know what LCA's to buy etc.

Thanks

Kamber King Conversion King Negative Boost's Avatar

For quick and cheap steering lock in a RA65, grind off the bump stops on the LCA and take out the bolt in the steering arm. And if you want to go any further than that, drop in GH sigma arms (30mm longer) which will get you even more steering lock and a decent amount of camber to boot.

For the S13 stuff, you'll need to measure the taper and size of the S13 ball joint. Then find something that'll fit it or is a touch larger than it so you can ream out the hole in the S13 hub to suit the larger ball joint. Thats where searching the forums for S13 suspension conversions comes in hand if you dont want to do the leg work. Tapers and sizes for a few diff ball joints are posted up in a few different threads.

Or even simple still, use S13 LCA's and redrill caster rod and swaybar holes.

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

*A6* Celica LCAs are the same length as Sprinter LCAs
    *A6* Celica struts in a Sprinter give 3deg positive camber.

Therefore the strut tops in an *A6* Celica are further inboard than on a Sprinter.

Therefore if you fit a S13 setup designed for a Sprinter into an *A6* Celica you will end up with even more negative camber.

So S13 LCAs would be a good option at 50mm longer than stock, though may still be too long and give huge camber. MX62 is another option at 60mm longer than stock, though camber is more likely to get out of hand.

In every other regard I think the A6 conversion would be identical to a Sprinter conversion.

Hen
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

Triple OG Grease Monkey

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Hen
    *A6* Celica LCAs are the same length as Sprinter LCAs
    *A6* Celica struts in a Sprinter give 3deg positive camber.

Therefore the strut tops in an *A6* Celica are further inboard than on a Sprinter.
    Do the sprinter and A6 Celica have the same king-pin angle? Cuss that would also come into effect.

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

NYes *A6* Celica has a different kingpin angle (enough to see by eye). That's why A6 struts in an AE86 give positive camber.

So given the identical LCA, the only way to get the correct camber on an A6 must be that the strut top is further inboard.

Hen
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

Ah yup, i get it now. Thanks hen.