Thread: MA70 + JZA80 brakes

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default MA70 + JZA80 brakes

Hi guys I have a MA70 supra and having some large plans for it I thought to start this project right and start with brakes and suspension. The suspension is not a problem but the brakes are. I found some kits on the net but all of them are running at above $2k for all four wheels. An option is to put a set of JZA80 brakes on it, but befor I would attempt it I thougt to ask some people who might have attempted this conversion before or know a bit about it. By the way I have searched the forum for anythig regarding this but came up empty handed. Thanks

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: MA70 + JZA80 brakes

The best I can offer is that when I looked into this a while back I found the JZA80 4-pot calipers to be very expensive and they would need complete custom mounting brackets made up. I believe the R33 / Z32 4 pots have almost the same stopping power for less dosh, but od course also need custom mounting.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Thanks. Do you know if the master cylinder would need to be upgraded if either of this prions was chosen.

I'd say so. Anyone got any insight into this?

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

you will probably get away with the stock M/C just makesure its in good nick cause if its old i may have pitting/buildup past its normal sweep and when you bleed it the seal could get chewed up or if its to small it may sweep past this piont anyway.
    1" M/C would be the best option.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

You'll probably find the combined surface area of the 4 pistons in the JZA80 caliper are nearly the same as the surface area of the single piston in the MA70 caliper, hence upgrading the master cylinder is not necessary. This was certainly the case when I put R33 4-piston calipers on my MA61.

Get an old copy of Zoom or email the editor as he made up a kit to suit Soarer and Supra MA-70. It consisted of Z32 four spot calipers with direct fit custom bracket lined up on factory mounting points, 330mm Dba aftermaket rotor and braided lines. It was very cost effective and with a better set pads was the perfect upgrade. For the back just buy net placement rotors and have them slotted by and engineering workshop and run braided line and Bendix Advance pads. The front kit worked fine with all mods mentioned provided your master cyclinder is in good working order as it has 1 inch bore and the original brake are quite large at 300mm and the only real let down is the single piston caliper which is pretty poor in car weighing in at 1550kgs. Hope this helps. Was in a zoom articular a few years ago and editior has a 2jgte power soarer which he is still moding.