Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2TG Rebuild

ToyotaCarClub.net Domestic Engineer Starfire's Avatar

Default 2TG Rebuild

Hi All,

At the moment I am in the process of removing the old 2TG from my TA22 and rebuilding another to take it's place.

I thought I would share some photos with you all.

Cheers,
    Terry
    1987 AW11 MR2 Supercharger (4AGZE)
    1974 TA22 Celica (2TG bored and stroked)

Thanks to James Cameron's Terminator films, we know that robots are stronger, faster, tougher and more Austrian than the rest of us.

Default Re: 2TG Rebuild

Here is the old engine almost ready for removal. This thing uses more oil than anything else I have ever seen...

Here is the replacement bottom end. I am in the process of (slowly) pulling it down, ready for a rebuild. I will probably pull down the other engine too and use the best bits of the two.

Here is my new gasket kit - I don't need the valve stem seals though so if anyone needs some let me know.

Here is the freshly rebuilt head by Chris Milton in Adelaide. They did quite a nice job and the price wasnt too bad

Thanks to James Cameron's Terminator films, we know that robots are stronger, faster, tougher and more Austrian than the rest of us.

Junior Member Grease Monkey styler's Avatar

hey what did you get done in the head rebuild and how much was it?
    im just doing a 2tg rebuild myself and will need the head done soon.

is certainly not a Automotive Encyclopaedia suss_slide's Avatar

what are you doing with the other 2tg?
    Now targeting, people who are now targeting!!

Junior Member Grease Monkey

I have a set of big lift cams for sale if you are after some.They have 400" lift.
    If keen call Nev 0433103584

1941cc 2T-G Domestic Engineer w810sc's Avatar

hey i noticed you have the 88222 head and have rebuilt the 88260. The block looks like an efi one too, with the block breather at the back cast blocked. That block is similar to the one i have. The inspection plate gasket for the 88222 can be easily made by tracing around the plate if you ever decide to rebuild that head. Did you get the head match ported for a better flow? What do you have planed for the block? good work on the head rebuild!

fonzy
    deepdishfactory
    2T-G - Half the valves but twice the fun.

The head cost about $550 to be rebuilt. It was a complete recondition and rebuild and included valve stem seals and shim adjustment. In the process of the build I had them install the (bigger) cams from the 88222 head.

At this stage I am not sure what will be happening with the other engine - I do know that I will gather all the best parts from between them and build up this engine.

ta22gt: if by big lift cams, you mean the ones from an earlier head, thanks but I already have a set in there.

w810sc - good job picking what I had done. The engine being rebuilt is indeed a 2TGEU, simply because it was in better condition than the one in the TA.

I didnt get any porting done as the intention is to build this thing up fairly cheaply and reliably - as long as it _sounds_ fast, I'll be happy with it, the AW11 is already fairly fast and will, in due time, be very fast

Here is a quick glimpse of what I have in store for the AW

I'll be using the best internals from between the two engines to give me the best finished result possible, with priority given to condition, followed by whichever will give me the highest compression.

I may get the block shaved slightly in order to bump it up a bit.

I still need to find some bits like chain guides in order to finish it off.

Cheers,
    Terry
    Last edited by Starfire; 24-05-2007 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Spelling, mostly...

Junior Member Grease Monkey

No by big lift i mean they are a set of reground cams and they were out of a 2TG race motor. They will be ideal if you want some big HP. I have all the specs if you are interested.

I don't like regrinds and the ones in there are already shimmed up.

Thanks anyway

hey, hows the rebuild? have you ran it in yet?
    fonzy
    deepdishfactory

I still have to rebuild the bottom end, but I am starting to consider a hybrid - It won't cost much more, but will give me an extra 200cc or so - I just have to find a half decent set of 3T rods, pistons and a crank.

yeah that sound good, so your going standard form and not forged pistons? one thing about the 3T series rods mentioned before is the structure. When comparing the 2T-G and 3T rods to the 3T-GTE ones, the 3T-GTE ones are more beefier, probably because of the turbo application it was designed for.
    fonzy
    deepdishfactory

I won't bother with forged pistons as this is a moderate cost rebuild with moderate grin factor. The big money will be spent on the AW11.

I am still undecided about the hybrid thing. It really depends on whether I can find the parts cheaply and easily enough. Otherwise I will just rebuild the 2TG bottom end using the standard components.

There havnt been many updates for a while, but there has been some progress made on the ol' 2TG.

There has been much polishing and finishing of parts.

I have finished rebuilding the inlet system, painting the cam cover and rubbing back the raised portions. It is a lot more red than it looks in the picture.

I have also built a MegaJolt computer to run the ignition system, rebuilt the oil pump and cleaned up the sump.

The bottom end has been dropped off for a rebuild, but unfortunately, it needs new pistons. I am looking around for some to take it out (with a 3T crank) to 2L.

Does anyone know where I can get some new pistons of either 88.5 or 90mm diameter and a 3T crank in good condition?

Cheers,
    Terry

Junior Member Domestic Engineer shelldrake's Avatar

You can really only get forged 88.5 or 90 mm pistons. You can get cast 1mm oversize 3t pistons in the acl duralite range for about $250-$300. (I had them in my old hybrid). I can maybe get you a crank, it would still need to crack tested and probably linished though...
    Assumption is the mother of all f**kups...