Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2TG Rebuild

I even do the dishes as Domestic Engineer Rodger's Avatar

Default Re: 2TG Rebuild

Nice build up Starfire and I am interested in how it is progressing?

Blake, do your pistons sit like the above pictured ones (not page 2)? The dome of the piston sitting up like above is perfectly ok and gives the compression ratio increase and it fits into the hemi shaped head chambers.

If the piston's main diameter/side (for want of better wording) sticks up the reported 3mm then you may have a 3T crank in the block. With the extra 6mm stroke it pushes 2T-G pistons up that 3mm.
    If this is the case you will need to either get a 2T crank or buy 3T-G pistons. I'd go with 3T-G pistons and have an 1800cc 3T/2T-G.

Regards

Rodger

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Hi everybody
    I´m from Peru and I´ve been looking all your post.. you have a lot of experience on this engines..
    Now I have a standar 3T/2TG (1800cc) hybrid (I used an 3T botton end and a 2TG Head) with 40mm Mikuni Carbs.. and I also have a set of 18rg pistons (for 2L) and an entire 2TG engine and 3T engine (both to repair)..

I want to built the best NA setup (1/4 mile) for this 3T/2TG engine (not for dayly use) .. but I would like to know your comments.. I´ve been thinking in these combinations.. what's your opinion?

- 2000cc 3T/2TG
    - 1600cc 2TG
    - 1800cc 3T/2TG

all of this options would be with entire ported.. 40mm carbs.. header..T50 gearbox.. etc

thanks for your help!!
    TT141 - 3T/2TG (70%)
    AE86 - 4AG (35%)
    from Perú

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice q.c.autosports's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kikin3t
    Hi everybody
    I´m from Peru and I´ve been looking all your post.. you have a lot of experience on this engines..
    Now I have a standar 3T/2TG (1800cc) hybrid (I used an 3T botton end and a 2TG Head) with 40mm Mikuni Carbs.. and I also have a set of 18rg pistons (for 2L) and an entire 2TG engine and 3T engine (both to repair)..

I want to built the best NA setup (1/4 mile) for this 3T/2TG engine (not for dayly use) .. but I would like to know your comments.. I´ve been thinking in these combinations.. what's your opinion?

- 2000cc 3T/2TG
    - 1600cc 2TG
    - 1800cc 3T/2TG

all of this options would be with entire ported.. 40mm carbs.. header..T50 gearbox.. etc

thanks for your help!!
    Greetings to all! I am a newbie here and I hope you guys don't mind if I give some tips.

If you really want to build a strong 2.0 2TG, your concentration would the bottom end. My advice, 89mm/12:1 or 13:1 ARIAS pistons, EAGLE connecting rods and if you want to be alittle crazy, you can purchase a set of main studs from ARP. Make sure you bing it to a reputable machine shop. If you have a huge budget, you can also go for a set od KAMAERI gear train, similar to the old TOMS gear train...don't forget to buy the IDLER gear from them. With this, you don't have to worry about the short timing chain stretch. Balancing is not a must but will not hurt. Have them deck the block. A few thousanths just to clean it up. (IMPORTANT! MAKE SURE THE TIMING CHAIN COVER IS INSTALLED WHEN THE DECK THE BLOCK). And a lightened flywheel is highly recommended. You can choose the clutch that you want but make sure it's for HI-PERF use.

You also want to prep your crank by installing dowel pins. I have had bad experiences with this. It will help prevent flywheel bolt breakeage. And use ARP Flywheel bolts.

For the head, you need a good port job. You can stick with the OEM YAMAHA valves, they are stronger and will last longer.I do recommend bronze guides but if they are not available, use the steel replacement guides. Make sure you have your head done by someone with experience as this will very well dictate if you will make or lose power. You can have the best components but without a good flowing head, your build will just be a waste. For drag, use bigger valves, 46 mm will be the largest possible size but it will be safest to use 45 mm valves for the intake. For the exhaust, use the same size as the OEM Yamaha valve.

Look for a good set of cams. A 304/304 combination will be ok for a slightly heavy car but if you have a car that 's been gutted out, go for the biggest, a 320/304 or a 320/320. Special grinds are also available.

Your minimum carb size will be 48 mm (I recommend WEBERS). If you are going to the EFI route, 45 mm will be your smallest choice and find the best affordable ECU.

For extractors, they have to be custom made. Make sure you time your cam so you can compute your extractor size.

Tranny? Use a W50.

Here are some photos of an unfinished 2TG head.. I'll post more pictures soon. Block pics as well.

Last edited by q.c.autosports; 16-03-2008 at 04:47 PM.

ToyotaCarClub.net Domestic Engineer Starfire's Avatar

Hi All,

I have been doing some minor work on the 2TG but due to the fact that I resigned from my job several weeks ago (my last day is today) I have been avoiding spending money on the expensive bits.

All that is required for the engine now is a head gasket (custom from ACL ~$150), a sump (the Moroso one is tempting, but about $500) and tuning. I do have two different sets of solex 40mm sidies, but am very tempted to bite the bullet and get a set of weber 45s - I really should hassle Rodger and work out what I need to get the Solexs up to scratch and what it would (reasonably) cost.

I also need some incidental parts like some nuts and bolts, a new clutch (although I do have 3 serviceable ones in the shed and it's not overly difficult to change them on a TA22 when/if they fail), some small gaskets and so on. I have to arrange to pick up the timing cover and oil cap from the chromer too.

I painted the cam cover myself using VHT heatproof red from a rattle can. The basic procedure was as follows:

* Use an agressive paint stripper that is suitable for aluminium to remove the 25 year old crappy wrinkle paint. This will take ages.
    * Clean the aluminium surface using detergent and a stainless steelo. This will take ages.
    * Make sure that the cam cover is completely dry. Paint doesnt really stick to water.
    * Shake the crap out of the paint can, then shake it some more. It is essential that it is fully mixed.
    * Make sure that the air is still and its a warm(ish) day.
    * Apply very thin even coats of paint to the cam cover, alternating directions to ensure that you get the whole surface. The first coat should look like a very pale pink mist (if using red).
    * Let it dry for about 5 minutes and apply another very thin coat.
    * Apply another thin coat every 5 minutes making sure to keep the can well shaken. This will ensure a good, even coating with no runs. For a cover the size of a 2TG or 18RG you can expect to use 2/3 - a full can of paint, resulting in a thick even coat.
    * Let the cover dry completely for a few days at least.
    * Start with a 400 grit or so wet and dry paper and a largeish sanding block.
    * Cut back the raised portions of the cover using flat, even strokes. As the paint should be very thick this will take ages.
    * Progress through to finer sandpapers until you have used a 1500 grit or so.
    * Give it a good clean.
    * For bonus points you can install it using new gaskets and some nice brass nuts

Cheers,
    Terry
    1987 AW11 MR2 Supercharger (4AGZE)
    1974 TA22 Celica (2TG bored and stroked)

Thanks to James Cameron's Terminator films, we know that robots are stronger, faster, tougher and more Austrian than the rest of us.

Toymods Board Member Domestic Engineer mynameisrodney's Avatar

if you have access to a bead/sand blaster it will make things a farkload easier. 10 min in the blaster and mine was ready to paint.

EDIT: we bought one of these blasters about 5 years ago for $150. it is still going strong and has paid for itself about 100 times over.
    Last edited by mynameisrodney; 14-03-2008 at 04:08 PM.

The Evil Director Backyard Mechanic jfallen's Avatar

Should be a stomper Terry

Cheers
    Jrodan
    Last edited by jfallen; 14-03-2008 at 04:29 PM.
    Past rides: 86 Hilux, 3x ke55 rollas's (2coupes,) 5th Gen GT4 x2, RA28, TA22 x3, KE10, P610 datto, RT40 corona x3, RT132, MX13

Currrent: , CA-A22 Celica living life as a Sports Sedan, 2000model ST215W Caldina GT-T manual, RT40 corona.

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisrodney
    if you have access to a bead/sand blaster it will make things a farkload easier. 10 min in the blaster and mine was ready to paint.

EDIT: we bought one of these blasters about 5 years ago for $150. it is still going strong and has paid for itself about 100 times over.
    I agree. There's nothing better than a blasted surface. Here is one that we use at the shop.

The Evil Director Backyard Mechanic jfallen's Avatar

on the last of the 2TGUE heads they were not true Hemi Heads. (the comment was in reference to a post on the previous pag which I thought was the last page) The pistons are different and cannot be used with the normal heads, and visa versa. This may be the root of his problem. The stock 2TC pistons should fit the Hemi 2TG head as the only difference is smaller valves? from what I'm told. Of course the whole Twin cam thing but as far as the combustion chamber goes.

I'll take some pics tonight and upload them tomorrow (no internet at home as there is no phone line down my street )

Cheers
    Jordan
    Past rides: 86 Hilux, 3x ke55 rollas's (2coupes,) 5th Gen GT4 x2, RA28, TA22 x3, KE10, P610 datto, RT40 corona x3, RT132, MX13

Currrent: , CA-A22 Celica living life as a Sports Sedan, 2000model ST215W Caldina GT-T manual, RT40 corona.

......... Carport Converter jeffro ra28's Avatar

are you talking about the kidney shaped chambers here?

Quote Originally Posted by q.c.autosports
    just to clean it up. (IMPORTANT! MAKE SURE THE TIMING CHAIN IS INSTALLED WHEN THE DECK THE BLOCK).
    Please explain why the timing chain needs to be installed when you deck the block?

Or do u mean the timing chain cover?

What do you mean? All intake ports are designed to create swirl.
    That is largely untrue..... Infact, a recent trend in a performance cylinder head is to prevent swirl......
    btw, in no way can i see any aspect of a 2tg port promoting swirl. They are straight ports with a straight flow path. valve directly center to the cylinder bore. No offset on the valve to port relation and straight contour to the valve guide.
    Last edited by jeffro ra28; 17-06-2008 at 03:11 PM.

Lick my hairy Backyard Mechanic Turdinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jfallen
    on the last of the 2TGUE heads they were not true Hemi Heads. (the comment was in reference to a post on the previous pag which I thought was the last page) The pistons are different and cannot be used with the normal heads, and visa versa. This may be the root of his problem. The stock 2TC pistons should fit the Hemi 2TG head as the only difference is smaller valves? from what I'm told. Of course the whole Twin cam thing but as far as the combustion chamber goes.

I'll take some pics tonight and upload them tomorrow (no internet at home as there is no phone line down my street )

Cheers
    Jordan
    Here's a thread i started on the non hemi 2TG head.

Oh, I know what you were talking about. Yes, the chmbers were close to a bath tub shaped chambers. These heads didn't have any casting numbers like the previous models. Low HP. These are not recommended for high performance use. There were also 12T's and 13T's that came out with the same chamber design as far as I can remember.
    I'm not convinced you can't get good HP out of the non hemi head. My hybrid uses this head and the last dyno tune i got it had 95rwkw. And thats at only 6500rpm. I think it has the bad rep due to there not being any after market pistons available for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Turdinator

I'm not convinced you can't get good HP out of the non hemi head. My hybrid uses this head and the last dyno tune i got it had 95rwkw. And thats at only 6500rpm. I think it has the bad rep due to there not being any after market pistons available for it.
    I never had a chance to play around with this head. Maybe a good candidate for turbo use with flat top pistons. The head has a large squish area, it will have a potential. The problem is, you don't have a choice of pistons if you want to buy aftermarket, however you can have custom pistons made for it. If it works for you, it will work for others.
    It will make power no doubt about that but like I said, piston wise, you'll have to have custom made ones. Pretty much, you are limited with what you have. With some piston dome reshaping (piston notching), a good port job and a good pair of cams (304/288) and with the right cam timing, you'll have a pretty decent high winding motor. 9000 rpm will be easy.
    Last edited by q.c.autosports; 17-03-2008 at 07:48 AM.

Low HP. These are not recommended for high performance use. .
    Who doesnt recomend these heads for performance use? To me, their design shits all over the hemi ones.

im with turdinator on this one
    Last edited by jeffro ra28; 17-06-2008 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro ra28
    Who doesnt recomend these heads for performance use? To me, their design shits all over the hemi ones.
    Please back up your statements.

im with turdinator on this one
    This is just my point of view as an engine builder. If the said head works for you then congratulations. I have dealth with some 2TG rebuilds with the same head and I admit I never tried playing around with them. Maybe it will make more HP than their HEMI counterpart. I just didn't have the time to experiment. And if those heads are really making more HP, I guess we better start looking for one.
    Last edited by q.c.autosports; 17-03-2008 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Turdinator

Let me just clear something here. When I mentioned LOW HP, I was referring to the 2TG engine itself with the non-hemi head in stock form.

Am I starting off on the wrong foot here?