Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: require pics on MX83 ADM rear end

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default require pics on MX83 ADM rear end

My cressida is a import diesel model MX83 but code for its is LX80 and I've had enough of my open wheeling live axle crap rear end and want to c if its possible to fit a MX83/JZX81 rear cradle/IRS and diff assembly.
    Does any1 have some pics of the rear suspension set up taken from underneath with the car up on a hoist would b best, just wantin to have a look and c where the cradle mounts to the body and if its gonna b possible to convert mine before i start ringin around and tryin to chase down the parts i need.

Mad****** Grease Monkey FASTFOO's Avatar

Default Re: require pics on MX83 ADM rear end

Yes you can I have done this .
    It is a bit of stuffing around.
    Your chassis has no reinforcing or captive nuts for the cradle mounting.
    so you have to cut open the chassis from the inside to stengthen and weld in nuts.
    You will also need to unpick all of the live axel mounts and panhard rod bracket (not hard but a pain in the bum)
    Then make sure everything is square and alligned before bolting the IRS back in.
    have fun.
    MATT.

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

i just finished bolting an r33 irs rear into an r31 and the amount of stuffing around aint worth it . better off sorting out the live axle and fitting an lsd as the basics are already there.
    the mx83 subframes aint overly strong and i have repaired quite a few.

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Yep, way more trouble than it's worth - you won't see a lot of gains after an IRS conversion unless you're planning to go circuit racing. If the single-spinner diff is giving you problems that's a separate issue, put an LSD in it (I'd guess it's a G series so that should be easy) and away you go!

nah the diff is an E302 only other cars it came in that i have been able to find so far is a MX62 Cressida.
    I like the solid axle rear end due to its not squatting characteristics and the 0deg change in geometry when launching but am just having trouble finding a compatable LSD.
    The diff's code is E302 and uses a 7.1" crown wheel. G series diff have a 8" crown so i doubt it would possible to change centers.
    The next problem is the width the E302 is 1445mm wide and the only other diff i found that wide is in a YR22 Tarago this runs an F series diff and i have been told u can get F series LSD diffs.
    At the moment my only option i can see is to use the tarago housing, with a diffrent F series LSD and the current cressida axles so as to retain the 5 stud hubs.

You're pretty much screwed if you have an E series, there are no LSD's available and no you can't fit an F series centre. Still, converting to a different live axle (F series or G series) is shitloads easier than an IRS conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    You're pretty much screwed if you have an E series.

yeh this is becomin pretty apparent, Startin to look at other options such as a F series diff with a tru-trac center but is gonna require new mounts to b welded onto the axle housings and possible new axles made.
    LSD is summin i am definetly needing car currently has about 300rwhp and once i get new turbo on am gonna be chasing 400rwhp and there is no chance of power gettin down thru a open diff.

I'd be going for a G series with that sort of power, most of them are 5-stud too which would be an advantage in your case. Measure your diff between wheel mounting flanges and compare it to this list:

http://toyotaaxle.norbie.net/AxleList.aspx?SeriesCode=G

yeh i already have that full list. All the G series live axle diffs r to narrow.

Have a look at Hiace diffs, they're a lot wider than Hilux diffs and I doubt your Cressida would be any wider. Wreckers + tape measure FTW.

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

Hiace+LSD+decent brakes = winner. If you haven't shattered the E diff yet, you obviously haven't been trying hard enough!

at the mo the rear uni joint has been the weak link takin the abuse, 3 uni joints in 2 months.

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

what about a crown disk brake f series already five stud get a tru trac or lok rite and away you go get the large flange and you can run big spicer (1310) unis . i think thats the p/n.
    not sure on width but 1430 rings a bell.

the 2 crown live axle listings i have are all F series either 1460 or 1450 wide cressida diff is 1445.
    Might b able to get away with runnin a MS110 or MS112 crown diff, 2.5mm thinner on each side would give me a lil bit more clearance to run 10" wide rear rims.... hmmmm

2.5mm will barely be noticeable! You don't need the diff to be precisely the same width, within 10-20mm is fine.